225 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

HamSnacks

Currently have a 225 Gallon with the following stock:
Journal link is below.

50 x RummyNose
50 x Cardinals
10 x Denison Barbs/Roseline Sharks (Just got them, they look amazing swimming)
10 x SterbaI Cories
10 x Ottos
5 x Different kinds of bristlenose Plecos
1 x Betta
1 x Rainbow Shark

Initially the tank was pretty full because I had 6 Discus but they are now gone, and the tank seems a bit empty.
I want to fill the tank so it constantly looks like fish are swimming back and forth.

Few options I was thinking.

Rainbows (But I have done them in the past, so not sure if I want to go that route again)
Angels (Was suggested Pinoys, don't know how I feel about them)
I was thinking Tiger Barbs, 30 of them but everyone says they nip no matter the number.

Am I forgetting another species that would be a great addition to the tank in large numbers?

Thank you!
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/225-gallon-planted-tank-build.418053/

taylormarie213

That’s a huge tank!! You have many options! I like your choices! I just have one recommendation.

Some of these fish are nippers when it comes to Bettas and their beautiful fins and Bettas can be aggressive towards other fish as well. Also, with that many fish, your Betta may be stressed out. Bettas do well with very peaceful fish like neon tetras, cardinal tetras, or what you have, runny nose tetras. They also get along with bottom feeders. But not all Bettas will get along with tank mates. My Betta I have right now was upset when I bought a snail! So I removed it and put it in my other tank. So because my Betta didn’t react that positively, I wouldn’t give him a tank mate and he’s fine on his own.

If you want another kind of tetra or schooling fish, I suggest cardinal tetras because of their vibrant red and blue coloring and they’re small enough that you can get a good sized school. They get a little bigger than neon tetras though. I saw some that are almost 2.5 inches!

Good luck!! I hope it helped!

HamSnacks

taylormarie213

Thanks for the reply, I actually have 50 Cardinals in there at the moment, probably just missed that. I didn't know how much I liked Cardinals until I seen 50 of them together. I'd put another 50 in there any day.

In regards to the Betta, yeah I made sure for 2 weeks straight he wasn't stressed at all. One of my favorite fish by far, initially he would swim with the RummyNose but now he just roams on his own, occasionally rests with the Cory's but that's about it. He'd be out of their in a heartbeat if I felt he was stressed.

Overall I'd say it's a very peaceful calm tank for 3 reasons:

1) Plenty of Hiding Spots in the rocks if anyone needs to get away. I actually have 10 x 4" Clown Loaches in there that I never see, they're there temporary but don't know how I'll ever catch them, they never come out!

2) I have over 50 Cherry Shrimp that keep producing babies and they roam the driftwood like it's no one's business, incredible how the babies don't get eaten up. Also the BristleNose have had babies and haven't seen any get eaten and this was with the Discus present.

3) The schooling fish aren't always schooling, they break off a lot during the day so they are obviously not stressed or threatened.

Only guy I'm keeping an out for now is the Rainbow Shark as he gets older but we'll see.

I may end up sticking with the same stock and just increasing each of their numbers by 30 or so.

DecoyCat

Wow big tank
I have KerrI Tetras (Blue emperor tetras) they are the most awesome and beautiful fish, they have this mother of pearl colour about them and when you have lots of them they look amazing moving all over the tank together. I will come back and post a video of mine in a few minutes, stay tuned! I highly recommend them

coralbandit

Bummed you got rid of the disc !
Love roselines ,got about 10 myself .With rummies they look like a ntural school of different sized fish to me !
Tough to suggest fish ..
Wht temp are you keeping tank at ?

gandalf1420

I'd suggest angels, they look amazing with rose lines but get them small and grow them so they don't try to eat your cardinals. The betta might get mad though, what with the big trailing fins.

A201

John Brown University had a 500+ gallon display tank in the lobby of the science building. It was beautifully hardscaped with huge pieces of driftwood & low light plants. The stars of the tank were a big school of "Congo Tetras". Congos might be a good choice in your situation.

gandalf1420

Congos are awesome, I wish my LFS sold them.

Kevin1962

For constant movement and color, a school each of red phantom and lemon tetras can't be beat. I put that combo in my 120 and they're very entertaining and colorful, always mixing and separating.

taylormarie213

taylormarie213

Thanks for the reply, I actually have 50 Cardinals in there at the moment, probably just missed that. I didn't know how much I liked Cardinals until I seen 50 of them together. I'd put another 50 in there any day.

In regards to the Betta, yeah I made sure for 2 weeks straight he wasn't stressed at all. One of my favorite fish by far, initially he would swim with the RummyNose but now he just roams on his own, occasionally rests with the Cory's but that's about it. He'd be out of their in a heartbeat if I felt he was stressed.

Overall I'd say it's a very peaceful calm tank for 3 reasons:

1) Plenty of Hiding Spots in the rocks if anyone needs to get away. I actually have 10 x 4" Clown Loaches in there that I never see, they're there temporary but don't know how I'll ever catch them, they never come out!

2) I have over 50 Cherry Shrimp that keep producing babies and they roam the driftwood like it's no one's business, incredible how the babies don't get eaten up. Also the BristleNose have had babies and haven't seen any get eaten and this was with the Discus present.

3) The schooling fish aren't always schooling, they break off a lot during the day so they are obviously not stressed or threatened.

Only guy I'm keeping an out for now is the Rainbow Shark as he gets older but we'll see.

I may end up sticking with the same stock and just increasing each of their numbers by 30 or so.
sounds like you really know your fish in your tank! I'm glad you kept watch on your Betta and how it interacted with the others and how the others interacted with him!
I would love to see pics of your tank!!

HamSnacks

Wow big tank
I have KerrI Tetras (Blue emperor tetras) they are the most awesome and beautiful fish, they have this mother of pearl colour about them and when you have lots of them they look amazing moving all over the tank together.

I'm going to go see if I can find them in person, I feel like they're the type of fish that can only be appreciated in person, cause I could imagine they'd look awesome in a large group.

Bummed you got rid of the disc !
Love roselines ,got about 10 myself .With rummies they look like a ntural school of different sized fish to me !
Tough to suggest fish ..
Wht temp are you keeping tank at ?

Yeah it was tough to let them go, but I think it was what was best. Because the size of the tank I kept having to worry if the Discus were eating enough, if it was an only Discus tank, would have been different but they were just a bit too slow and I made sure they went into a 200 Gallon only Discus tank, so I was happy with that. I did keep the breeding pair, put them in their own tank, figured I'd try and see if I could successfully get fry 1 time.
But totally agree with Roselines, they fit right in with the RummyNose.

sounds like you really know your fish in your tank! I'm glad you kept watch on your Betta and how it interacted with the others and how the others interacted with him!
I would love to see pics of your tank!!

I attached the link with my initial post, right at the end.

A201 I have seen Congo's here before, may look into those actually. Thanks for the suggestion.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HamSnacks
Replies
Views
Moonee
Replies
Views
Nicholas pilgrim
Replies
Views