225 Gallon Planted Tank Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by HamSnacks, Aug 13, 2019.

1. HamSnacks

HamSnacksValued MemberMember

Was going to post as I built but I knew due to work/life this was going to be a very slow build.
    But let's begin.

Picked up a Used 225 Gallon Tank, the couple decided to go Saltwater and turned out to be a disaster, money wasn't an issue but they just didn't have the proper knowledge, and their plumbing was completely off. Ended up taking it off their hands for a really good deal.

225 Gallon
    72" Wide, 24" High, 30" Deep
    1/2" Thick Glass

1st Day Moving the tank down to the basement, figured 2 strong guys could do it.
    Horrible Start

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removed the front panel and decided to take advantage of the opening and clean the tank up, easier than expected to remove the left over residue.

[​IMG]

A few days later, replaced the front. Back in business.

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

Working on the stand cover (still deciding if I want a cover or not)

[​IMG]

Hooked up all the plumbing and decided to spray paint everything blue.

[​IMG]

Current Sump Setup (90 Gallon)
    Adding more media soon, and removing the carbon after 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

Current Light Set up. 6 x Sunblaster 54w T5HO Bulbs.
    Hoping I won't have an algae issue, but I plan on doing short and carpeting plants, so I want them to reach to the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the AquaScaping!

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

Went with 60lbs of Seiryu Stone and 60lbs of Leopard Stone. Wish I purchased a bit more but after many failed attempts I think I am happy with the results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plants will be going in today and I will post some pictures when it is complete and the tank is filled.

4. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Nice setup! How much did you get this tank?

5. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Super jealous. I had the chance to pick up a 500g for $500 a while back but had no way to move it.

6. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Would you be jealous if I got a 90 gallon for free? ;)

7. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Lol well maybe a bit... I got my 65 for free and paid $100 for my 100g.

8. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Looking good with the reseal? Did you end up resealing the entire tank, hate for it to bust on you. Old silicone does not bond well with new silicone.

9. Onewolf

OnewolfNew MemberMember

Just curious, how did you crack the glass?

10. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

I'll have to actually calculate the total cost because it came with a bunch of saltwater accessories and rocks that I ended up selling.
    But definitely a steal.

That is a crazy deal, but that is just a tease! How do you even that inside your house? That would be amazing to own.

We just did the front panel but removed all the silicone it would come in contact with and used new silicone, also had to replace the top bracing as it has also cracked. I let it sit for about a month filled to the top as a test. So far no issues.

My guess is, it sat in the garage in minus 30 weather and when we brought it in, it was still cold outside but hot inside, so maybe it became a bit fragile? And at one point we had to turn it and let it sit on its front, heard some noises but didn't think there was any damage done until we got it downstairs. Was honestly so close to just chucking it all away haha.

11. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

Some new photos on the tank with plants.
    Disappointed, I took pictures when it was first planted and how empty the tank looked but for some reason they did not save, so can not show the amount of growth of the plants, but it's been incredible how fast they are growing and spreading, did not expect this rate of growth. Still tweaking a few things, starting to see a bit of algae on the glass and rocks, but nothing too serious.

Plant List:

Dwarf Grass
    Alternanthera Renicki Mini
    Helanthium Quadricostatus
    Staurogyne Repens
    Ranunculus Inundatus
    Weeping Moss

Currently injecting CO2 into the sump right next to the Pump, will be turning it off once fish arrive.
    For fertilization, just used tabs in the sand.
    The light stays on for 7 hours per day.

12. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

13. OP
    OP
    HamSnacks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the sump.
    Water flows through Filter Floss, then into 2 more stacks of filter floss and sponge, into Seachem Matrix, then some bioballs floating and on the ground, into one more stack of floss and sponge then the pump.
    Working on building a lid as evaporation is a bit too much, need to clean up the wiring as well, may also set up the ATO as I have a chamber for it.
    Currently using 2 Gyre 230s to move the plants, do believe I'll need to adjust once the fish are in.

Wish the pictures were a bit nicer, don't know how you guys take some pro shots haha.

14. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

15. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperWell Known MemberMember

Wow, im loving the rock scape! Its stacked so perfectly