225 gallon or 300gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by ThaiT, Jul 6, 2015.

1. T

ThaiT Valued Member Member

Hey fishlore,

I've come to a crossroads when choosing my next tank. I have been looking to upgrade my 120gallon discus community tank. My end goal is to be able to add more discus.

I've been looking at either getting a 225 gallon (72X24X26) or a 300gallon. The 300 gallon i was looking at was a deep dimension of (72x36x27). i think i can get both with corner flows. Does anybody have any recommendations on which size i should go for?

I plan to plump in a wet/dry sump in whatever tank i pick.

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Bigger is better IMO.

3. j

jay275475 Valued Member Member

360 gallons because it has more depth, with that you can add more discuss.

4. OP
    OP
    T

my only concern with the 300 gallon is the maintenance, since it is 36" its going to be pretty hard to reach the back of the tank. Anyone in the community have experience with the 300 DD?

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You don't clean the back of them. At least not very often. There are long handled sponges you can get if you think it is something you will need to do. I don't clean the back of small tanks very often to be honest. And I have big tanks that have never had the back cleaned

Since they are both 6 feet long, I would definitely go with the deeper tank. The extra inch of height won't make a difference. But the 3 foot width is awesome.

6. OP
    OP
    T

i meant the back substrate :) i never clean the back of my tanks either. here in a little bit ill post my build for the 300 gallon.

7. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

I am looking at my 75 gallon tank trying to imagine the ones you a proposing. 3' deep is a lot. Most of the larger tanks I have seen are taller and not as wide. Interesting to see fish movement more up and down with taller tank.

That said.... I would be proud to own ether tank you describe. Should be fantastic with the fish you are planning.

Had a thought. Would it be possible to put this tank inside the wall...one side in one room, the other side in a second room (or free standing in middle of room). Than you would have access to both the front and back sides, the Depth wouldn't present a cleaning issue

8. OP
    OP
    T

that would be an absolutely amazing idea and at some point in my life time i'd love to do that hahaha. As of right now i don't have the means to put the tank in a wall.

9. BDpups

Ah, ok. A 3 foot gravel vac is what you use to do that. You will still have to reach though.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

For my 265g tank, I do not clean any glass other than the front panel. I let the snails and Plecos take care of the panels that I do not clean and I do not have an algae issue.

I use these 34" tongs:

As for a gravel vacuum:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqueon-siphon-vacuum-large-16

My tank dimensions are in my Profile.

Of course I have to use a 1 step stool.

Go for the largest aquarium that you have space for.

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    T

Here's my thoughts so far now that i've pretty much concluded to go with the 300 gallon:

300 gallon Aquarium with corner flows (72x36x27) (still gotta figure out how i am getting that wide of a tank into my house)

Going to try to maintain a temp of 82-86 F

Would like to plumb in a Dry/Wet Sump.

I am still debating if i want to go Dirted again w/ either sand or gravel or even a mix as a cap.

Planning to build my own stand / canopy.

Going to go for LED's (maybe Finnex Planted+).

Possibly running some CO2.

Going to be stocking with(currently what i have in my 120gallon):
    4x GBR
    2X angels
    4X Discus
    5X matae cories
    2X golden Zebra Loaches
    7X rainbows
    4X swordtails
    2X kribensis
    2X bristlenose plecos

My end goal is to increase my stock of discus.

12. BDpups

I've literally tore out walls to get tanks into houses. Good luck :)

13. OP
    OP
    T

Anyone build a stand for a 300 Gallon aquarium before?? i posted in DIY but i haven't gotten a response yet.

Im considering following this guys plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ

I am just a little unsure of the 2x4's supporting a 300 gallon aquarium without a little more bracing.

14. BDpups

2 x 4's will work. Double them up if you want overbuild it. Not a bad idea. Or you could look for a welding fabricator and have a steel stand built for it. I did that for a couple of big tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. c

cichlid454 New Member Member

I build aquarium stands

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. OP
    OP
    T

Update:

Stand frame is 2/3 complete. Next step is to add all the cross bracing and then its finally time to wrap it and make it look like a nice piece of furniture.

Going to coat the stand in arborcoat since i got some extra. pictures coming soon.

17. OP
    OP
    T

Here's a quick update:

Stand is still at around 2/3 of the way done, haven't had much time lately. This is a little bit an older picture, but right now i am building a shelf for the sump. As you can see in the photo i didn't clamp one of the horizontal 2x4 well enough so i added a little metal strip to it. It shouldn't have any real effect on the strength of the stand and you wont be able to see it once i'm all done.

Also picked up some 3/4 oak plywood for the front and sides.

20150723_164637.jpeg

(backside of the stand)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice