220L tank, high temp fishies (Cichlids)

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hullo!

Well... my boss has just offered to sell me her 220L or so tank (might be closer to 250L) and I'm already thinking about stocking it ;P

As the tank will probably have to go outside I'm only interested in fish that can handle temperatures up to 30C, which is ATM making it a Cichlid tank! MY FIRST CICHLIDS!

Only thing I'm worried about is the size of some of the ones that handle high temps better. Most of them are 15-20cm.

I do like Angels, but I don't really want to go with them for this tank since I'm pondering putting a breeding pair in another tank.

Cichlids I've found so far that meet the temp requirements...

Auratus 12cm
Convict Cichlid 10cm
Discus 12cm
Firemouth 15cm
Jack Dempsey 20cm
Juba Cichlid 18cm

Don't think I want Auratus, apparently uber aggressive. Tempted by Convicts but not that interested because of aggressiveness and destructiveness.
I'm okay with discus, I've actually got the setup chemicals and food for them from a workmate, but they cost A LOT!!!! ($80 a pop here. $60 on special)
I would love either Firemouths, JDs or Jubas (or anything anyone can suggest that's similar) but I'm worried about the size of them and whether the tank would be big enough.

Opinions?

Don't think I'd be able to keep bottom dwellers with most of these either, and I've grown quite fond of catfish (got 4albino corys on order now too :whistling

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might be able to keep some tropical fish but I'd stick with the cichlids. Some African cichlids that don't get to big are Peacock's, Electric Yellow's, Kribensis, Maingano's, Johanni's (don't keep mainganos and johanni's together). Do you want to keep american or african cichlids? The tank is about 55+ gallons so you could get any of those cichlids just don't overstock or if they get too big upgrade to a bigger tank or sell them.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yay Jake you're my hero! I'll start researching those over the weekend!
I might actually be getting the tank next week :3

arty0049:SO EXCITED!arty0011:

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could actually go with quite a bit of Mbunas. JohannI make that list but there are others that may be easier to keep and look just as good. Here's a decent write up I found since I may be going the same route.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gosh I'm getting so very excited :3 I was planning on using slate rock in this tank, stacking and pinning them to create caves and nook, and having it fully planted. Might have to go shopping tomorrow so I can start treating the rock for the tank

I think it might take a bit of time to treat/clean the amount of slate needed for a 220L tank...

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, make sure you cycle the tank. Cycling can take 1 week to 2 months or more. Here's a link to The Nitrogen Cycle
Slate looks good in aquariums. I think you just need to clean it thoroughly WITHOUT chemicals. Also clean the tank with JUST water and no chemicals like the slate. If you want to keep plants, do NOT put live ones with African Cichlids as they eat the plants. Try and get some crushed coral to raise the pH if you keep africans. Remember to keep doing research on the fish you plan on keeping.
Good Luck with your tank,
Jake.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hehe don't worry about the cycle, I'm well versed in THAT now. I keep extra filter media with BB so I can instastart tanks now. And I would only wash with vinegar to get off mineral deposits and boil.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For cichlids that like the higher temps besides Africans I would look into ones from Mexico, Cuba, D.R., places like that.

Brian

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I admit I'm VERY interested in Pseudotropheus saulosi. Going to have to do a lot more research into them A tank with just them and a bottom dweller or two would be lovely I think
My LFS has all the others in stock :O Noticed the yellow labs when I was there earlier. Nice and easy to obtain at least.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
P. SaulosI are a fun fish.

You may not care at all or maybe you will, but P. SaulosI are a fish that 99% of them are hybrids. A great number of people sell them off as pure, mainly because most people don't know, but like I said 99% are not the real deal. They are just one of those fish that has been ruined in the hobby, or not depending on how you look at it. Like I said I don't want to turn you away from them, as most people really don't care, but just throwing it out there.

Brian

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm starting a 55 gallon with the Mbuna tomorrow(well starting the cycle at least). After it is up and running I will add 4xPseudotropheus Acei,4xIodotropheus Sprengerae,4xyellow labs, and 3x Electric Blue Johanni(Not all at once of course). Ratio will be 1 male to 3 females if I can find em all. Will probably try to add the females first.

I'm going to try a playsand bottom and a ton of slate for hiding spots. I'll post pics after I get it decorated

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I'm leaning towards something similar. Though I can't decide quite yet
Tossing up between...
5 SaulosI and 5 Y Labs or Acei
or 4 of all
But I'd rather go safer and get 5 of 2 species and leave it at that. Only thing I'm disappointed about is the planting, I would like to have a natural tank for them.

Oh well, my 70L is gonna be planted anyway. It will have to satisfy me

One thing about these cichlids is they're all similar colour! Will keep researching

For reference, anyone tried Kribs with any of these? I'm assuming they don't go together?

Edit:
OK I've been converted.
4x Saulosi, 4x Labs and 4x Rusty. TADAAA. White sand mixed with fine natural gravel base, pinned slate caves, heavily silk planted with maybe javamoss on some of the slate and a few live plants at the front for display only. (at the front so easier to replace). I think that is my stocking plan!

Not sure about what background I'll do though.... Hrm. Tank comes with 1 filter, but I think I'll play it safe and get a second one.
What about Jewel's/Peacocks? Going to look into them next

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think Mbuna have to stay literally with only other from that same lake(Malawi). I doubt Kribs would survive, maybe in a bigger tank.

Very possible Jewels,peacocks, and Kribs though I think, although I would wait for a Cichlid pro to confirm it.

There are peacocks from Lake MalawI though.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah next step is I'm going to check out the tanks of members with Mbuna tanks. See how they've aquascaped and stocked.

So if you have a nice tank, POST PICS NAO <3

Edit: Reading up on tank setup for mbuna, and noticed a suggestion to use styrofoam as a buffer between the glass and any rocks used. Have any of you tried this?

Also, painting pvc piping??? Not exactly sure what paint would be safe in an aquarium! I have enamel paint, I think this would be fine... any opinions?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads