220 Planted Discus Tank

NicksFishTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am planning on putting a planted 220 gallon discus tank into my living room soon. I have the tank already and I am not sure what I will need for it. I am used to having smaller tanks such as 90g or 60g where they have a filter on the back. I am wondering what supplies I will need to get it running smoothly such as, filter, and other things I will need for such a big tank.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!! A 220 is a great size for discus. Things you will need are a filter. Options are canisters and hobs or a sump. Canisters I would recommend the fx6 (maybe 2). Or an fx6 and a tidal 110 hob. A sump would probably be the best choice. But may still need something else. Heaters at least 2 500w heaters. Finnex makes a nice heater with the temp controls on the cord outside the tank. Going for discus and planted means warm water and good lighting. Substrate I would just go with gravel 1/8”. Easy to get and will grow plants. Remember the discus will be the first priority. So any of the special substrate are not recommended.
A planted discus tank will be a lot of work for the first year if you start with juvenile discus. First year is feeding and water changes like crazy. If you go with full grown fish (5-7” big) your upkeep will be a little easier but more expensive.
Happy to help and ask lots of questions. We have a thread running now called discus gang updates. Just started and a great group who just bought young discus.

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am planning on putting a planted 220 gallon discus tank into my living room soon. I have the tank already and I am not sure what I will need for it. I am used to having smaller tanks such as 90g or 60g where they have a filter on the back. I am wondering what supplies I will need to get it running smoothly such as, filter, and other things I will need for such a big tank.
Filtration
Firstly, for filtration, I would definitely go with a sump on a tank this large. It'll save you a lot of time when it comes to maintenance, and they'd be your overall best option if you know how to set one up. I probably would go for around a total of 70 gallons, whether you have multiple or one big one, anywhere in that region would be great. Sound expensive, but you can easily make your own media bins from those little plastic drawers at Walmart.
Heating
As for heating, you're going to need a combined wattage of around 1500-2500, depending on what temperature you keep your house. That sounds like a lot of heating to put in your tank, but if you had a sump you could fit all of that in there, out of sight, out of mind. I only run 500 Watts on my 125 gallon, and it's more than adequate, just something to keep in mind.
Substrate
Don't get a thick layer of substrate, very bad for the discus, try setting up a hill from the highest point being in the back, then getting lower in the front. If you plant in the back where there's lots of substrate, roots will have plenty of space while not bothering the Discus, taking advantage of the limited amount of substrate. I'd recommend around a LB per gallon, nothing more.
Lighting
For a tank of such large dimensions, you may have to buy two separate lights, splitting the length in half. Depending on the height of the aquarium, the bigger the height, the stronger the light.
Water Changes
You're going to have to really take in a large amount of consideration towards how you're going to change your water, because Discus sure need lots of fresh water. Look into the Python Water changing kit. I always place my tanks within the tubing Distance of a window, drain everything right out the window then you could hook up the Python Gravel Vacuum, pretty easy.

NicksFishTanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore!! A 220 is a great size for discus. Things you will need are a filter. Options are canisters and hobs or a sump. Canisters I would recommend the fx6 (maybe 2). Or an fx6 and a tidal 110 hob. A sump would probably be the best choice. But may still need something else. Heaters at least 2 500w heaters. Finnex makes a nice heater with the temp controls on the cord outside the tank. Going for discus and planted means warm water and good lighting. Substrate I would just go with gravel 1/8”. Easy to get and will grow plants. Remember the discus will be the first priority. So any of the special substrate are not recommended.
A planted discus tank will be a lot of work for the first year if you start with juvenile discus. First year is feeding and water changes like crazy. If you go with full grown fish (5-7” big) your upkeep will be a little easier but more expensive.
Happy to help and ask lots of questions. We have a thread running now called discus gang updates. Just started and a great group who just bought young discus.
When you say a fx6 and a tidal 110 hob does that mean both of them. Or your just recommending 2 types. I could get a canister filter and a hob if that’s better.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I’m saying both. But as stated a sump or a wet/dry system would be better. 20yrs back I had a 200 with a wet/dry that moved 600gph and an fluval canister that I don’t remember what it moved. They kept that tank spotless. cleaning these filter was pretty easy. The wet/dry had 2 sponges I would rinse off and the canister I would clean every 6 months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom