220 gallon

fishbum
I am thinking of getting a 220 gallon tank to keep,possibly 6 oscars,and one common pleco in.With these fish,what kind of filtration should I have,and how much would the whole set up cost?

This probablly won't be possible for a few months,due to the cost,but I am currious of others thoughts of the final cost,and what filtration should be used.

I live in the midwest,and I know the tank and stand will cost $1,100. But I've never asked how much the whole set up will cost at the store I saw the tank at,I'm just curious of others thoughts.

sgould
Oscars and plecos both are pretty heavy waste producers, so I would think you would want to splurge on the filtration. If it were me, I would look at a pair of canister filters. Rena Filstars are pretty good, and not too hard on the bank account, so you could figure $100-125 each, if ordered online. From a lfs that cost would probably double. For that size tank, you would probably need about 3 250w heaters. $20 each online...again considerably more from lfs. Couple hundred pounds of substrate...probably another $150-$200. You would still have some smaller stuff to consider as well...air pumps, stones, and tubing, thermometer, decor. The pump(s) and such would not be too pricey. Decor could get painful depending on what you are wanting to do. You might be able to save some money by seeing what kind of deal a lfs would offer you if you buy the whole package from them at one time.

fishbum
thanks sgould,this helps,I was thinking at least 3 canister filters at the minnium for 7 large fish.I like bubbles,and plan to have pleanty of air stones in the tank,under the caves,but how many?and how many pumps?This is the question ...LOL
Thanks for the info,I think this might be about $500 cheaper than I thought,....but I doubt it in the end.I love this hobby,but it can get soooo expensive....LOL

How "PAINFULL" can slate rock be for a 220 gallon,or more,tank be?
Never bought it,but would want to fill the tank with only that to make caves for the oscars?

fishbum
O.K. this all seems a little more plausible,I think I can afford it now,so,could I really keep 6 oscars,plus a common pleco,in a 220 gallon?

Isabella
I am thinking of getting a 220 gallon tank to keep,possibly 6 oscars,and one common pleco in.
I've learned here on Fish Lore that you need at least 50-55 gallons of water per 1 Oscar. So, that roughly translates into 4 Oscars being a better solution for you (220 / 55 = exactly 4). By the way, wow, a 220 gallon tank ... I wish I could have such a big tank now! But I'll have to wait a good while before I get a tank this big Congrats to you And good luck with the water changes ... LOL ;D

Kevin
if you have a petsmart near you, go online, find the filters/heaters/pumps that you want, and print off the price of those items...take it to the store and tell them you want them to match the price, and they will give you that price
I got a 50w stealth heater that way ($30 in store, but I got it for $17)

I think petsmart also does this, but their online prices aren't as good as petsmart's

fishbum
Thanks to you all for the hints and advice,once I decide if I really want all the work of such a large tank(I know I do,but I don't know if my wife wants me too),I'll let you know.

Isabella
So how many Oscars will you have?

fishbum
1 oscar for every 50 gallons, add 1 for every 30 gallons,is the general "rule" for oscars,so I am planning on getting 6.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joe wood
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Discus-fish2
Replies
Views