215/276L mk II

Discussion in 'Everythingzen' started by Everythingzen, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

It's now been a week since the strip down and reseal, and it is now sitting outside happily holding water! If only that were the end of it. Sigh. I'm sure the cycle will be lost by now. I know bacteria can live for a few weeks before it completely starves off, but the tank was only on its 4th or so week before the leak so it wasn't exactly well established. It had old media from another tank so it was definitely cycled, but it just wasn't old. I'll move around media again when it's back in my room to kick start things so at least some fish can go back in it. I have to get more test tubes. Definitely tomorrow. I cannot believe I have broken 5 of them in the last year. Actually, I can believe it... :rolleyes:

Anyway, later on I'll get pics up in here as I rebuild. The layout will change this time. I might reconsider stock, too. My poor little clowns need a new home. The clown loach plan just won't work in this tank. I'll get the little monkeys a good home though! Perhaps the brand new fish shop in penrith will trade me... I'm getting them to get me some kuhlis! I also want to get a massive cardinal school. I've never owned a single tetra before in my life, so I figure 20 or so is a good number to start with :;laughing

2. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

The new shop is going to take my poor little clowns. I tried very hard to get the guy to order me some kuhlis, but he spoke so little English that it just didn't happen. He managed to ask what tanks I had and when I got to describing the barbs and killi we had a funny sign language conversation about the joys of surface swimmers. God, speaking of said fish, I got home this evening to find my tank in darkness. I cursed myself for forgetting to turn the light on this morning. First thing I saw was a yellow rounded tail fin poking out of some fontanalis. My beautiful killi wasn't moving. I grabbed a net and nudged some driftwood out of the way and he jerked a little. At that moment I realised how cold the tank was and then realised idiot me had forgotten to turn the heater and light back on after a water change yesterday! I'm such a... Grrr. All inhabitants were cowering at the bottom. Poor things. I left them to slowly warm up and got some food and garlic ready while I waited for them to get moving again. It took a surprisingly, and thankfully, short time and they all seemed very normal when some stinky garlicky micro pellets sunk their way!
    Anyway, so the new guy didn't do an order for me. He sorely tempted me with his pakistanis, which looked fantastic (though there was one deceased among them), and tried to get me to take the neons instead of cardinals. Maybe I shouldn't be so stubborn with the cardinals. Maybe the yoyos will be good. But I can't change all my plans for this tank. The tetras, maybe, but not the loaches. That said, I'm wondering now how a few pakistanis will go with the kuhlis! I ended up heading up the mountains to put in an order for the little kuhlis and also 4 otos. I picked up a small handful of red cherry shrimp. They're in the QT with the plecos and clowns. I hope they're still there in the morning... I made a huge bunch of fontanalis and shoved it into a pot cave, so hopefully they'll avoid being eaten. I gave the 4 piggy fish a good feed with the garlic food, so fingers crossed!

3. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Stocking list so far:
    2 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
    10 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
    4 x Otocinclus vestitus (Otocinclus vestitus)
    15 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
    10 x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)
    I've never kept danios. They're only on the list to add more to the middle. So many bottom dwellers :;banaman so much work yet to be done on this tank :;banaman

4. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I went back to my new friend at the new fish shop today. He bought my clown loaches, which was super nice of him. But then, I bought off him 2 powder blue dwarf gouramis, 10 neon tetras and 6 zebra danios. These danios are NUTS! Crazy little things. They stop their relentless darting to gather in a small group and kind of pause in the current on the outtake pipe. I think 4 are males. I hope the ratio is ok. They were the only 6 left. They were a 5 for something deal, but I couldn't leave one alone in the shop so all 6 are happily ripping it up in their new home. They were a bit of a spontaneous buy. I'm glad though. I will try to up the school with maybe 4 more. The neons, also. There are 10 of them but they're barely there in the vastness of the new tank. I'd like to get a huge school of them. I wonder if too many is a bad thing? I'm a huge convert to these little tetras. Such sparkly little dots of ADHD! They sometimes school with the danios. The dwarfs have a corner each, and the spazzes are dancing to their own strobe light in the middle. And sides. And back... etc. lol.

Spent the whole day reassembling the tank anyway. I've changed the layout a little and will see what it's like when all the fish are in. It took more hours than I thought it would just to get both canisters on, the substrates down, plants in, etc. I hope these new fishes settle in well. I'll do pics soon.

2 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
    10 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
    4 x Otocinclus vestitus (Otocinclus vestitus)
    15 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
    6 x Zebra Danio (Danio rerio)
    2 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)

5. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I'm at the library at the moment, trying to focus on Beccaria, Durkheim and Lombroso, but all I can think about are fish. I sorely need new hobbies and interests. I could never answer one of those "describe yourself in less than 25 words" things..
    "I like criminological theories, small schooling fish, and watching the sun rise"

... Alright, I'll do Beccaria, cause he's cool, and then I'm off to the fish shop for more tetras.

Life on the edge. It's how I roll.

6. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

The filters I'm running are a cascade 1000 and an eheim 2217. The cascade is a superb filter. I'm sold on these now. It's very smartly designed, easy to configure to how is suitable, and maintenance is a cinch! The priming is even a good old fashioned manual suction with a smooth, palm sized cap that you push in to expel air that then sucks in water to replace it. Easy as. Brilliant. Love it.
    The eheim, on the other hand... I just don't understand it. They're lauded as the greatest thing ever, and functionally it's a brilliant filter - at least, I think it is. It's so quiet, I'm not really sure what it's doing. Maintenance and such is a bit of a murky unknown though. I acquired the filter already set up, bar the hoses, and it had been running on someone else's tank for a week before he decided it was too noisy for his bedroom (? For real? Lol). When I was hooking it up I put some old sponge in to help it along, but found the set up inside was very lacking in practicality. The media is just stacked with no easy access, making it seem messy. I haven't opened it up since, but will do some cleaning on it in the next few weeks and will see how I go. I hope there is some instructions around on the Internet. I didn't get them off the old owner.
    Another thing I need to learn more about is filter current. The danios and tetras are blown around everywhere. I'm not sure it's not too much for them. There is surely a way to adjust it without losing efficiency? Not that that should matter too much as it is terribly over filtered, lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

A few things have popped up this week that have left me so utterly stressed and emotional so I thoug I'd get stuck into some physical hard work and sand the pool deck. Great idea. Hired a floor sander and edger and things were going swimmingly. I was pondering if the sanding was about all done when the :;banaman sander pulled out of my hands and propelled itself right into the pool. Right into the :;banaman pool. I think I stopped breathing for about 5 minutes from shock. Anyway, after a teary and self berating afternoon, my sister (who witnessed the sander's suicide) got me to laugh. I needed it. I've got to dig for some serious cleansing of the negativity of this week. Tomorrow, me and the littlest child will go out for a chai latte, and I may come home with another 10 little neon tetras. I stopped by my big tank earlier and watched my little friends going about their business, and I felt a little lighter. They are so many wonderful things to me. Peace. Tranquility. Soothing. I think even the water is therapeutic. I love this.
    :)

8. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

9. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Had a moment or 12 of panic before when it appeared as though the pleco and remaining GBR were nowhere to be seen. They're now accounted for. 13 days to go on treatment. I'm so, so irked at this ich. I fear the loaches won't all survive. Nor the snails. I have snails multiplying as well. Seems some baby ramshorn came in on some plants, as well as some generic black little ones. I hope they all make it. Man, I'm so annoyed at this tank!

10. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Wow, those pictures are bad. I'm on the laptop now, and can see the photos in widescreen HD. Ouch! iPhones make terrible cameras, and pretty average phones. why are they popular again? Oh yeah, the marketing. They're only as good as the apps that you put on them, and then they're not even made by apple! I digress...

I have a week to go with the ich. I've stopped medicating. I'm just not feeling OK with it. I've beefed the temp up to 84f and will give it a good vacuum again hopefully this evening. I think I need to remove these river pebbles and give them a good wash. Something about the tank just looks horribly drab. The plants are growing well, but they've still got this darned hair algae and now look holey due to some snails, I suspect. I have all 3 bulbs working now and it's good and bright, but surely making the algae worse. It still doesn't lighten the whole tank. I have a lot of tall plants ...perhaps I need to swap some out and do more low and mid height? Which reminds me, I have a hairgrass that is growing as a clump of roots - no grass. It will need a photo to explain it. It looks odd! I got some (literally only 5 or so little pieces) frogbit. Does this grow out of control very fast? I also have some riccia fluitans that has become attached to numerous filter intakes. I'd hate to think how much is sitting in the filters. I need stockings.
    :rolleyes: