210g Questions

1. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

I'm trying to save up for a 210g tank that I'm buying from someone and I'm starting to do some research and I have some questions.

#1 What kind of canister filter should I do? What are the best ones for a 210g.

#2 What kind of heaters should I do? I want at least two.

#3 What about LED lighting?

#4 What are some fish that would work? I'm not asking for stocking quite yet, I'm just wanting a list of possible fish that you can think of.

Thank you!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would actually do a sump for a tank this size.

I really like the Aqueon heaters, and you could do 3 300 watt ones.

As I'm sure you know, I'm a big fan of the Finnex fixtures if you're going with live plants. You can do 2 36" fixtures.

If it were me, I'd either do very large schools of small fish (30-50x gold tetra, 30-50x rainbow tetra, 30-50x rummynose, 20-40x Cories), a large pleco, and some dwarf cichlids (keyholes and Apistos would be my choice) or a school of silver dollars and some peaceful Geophagus and a large pleco.

3. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

As for filters I would go with FX5/6 or the big Eheim cans but just be prepared as they cost a lot.

4. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

I think it comes with a sump but the guy also had a canister hooked up on top of it. I'm wanting some larger fish (6+) inches. That's what I'm thinking anyways. It'll be a while until I actually get it.

5. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

Ok, I have some ideas. Here's my first one:
    15 Discus
    6 Clown Loaches

My second idea is something with severums. I would also like to point out that the sump does 1500gph and I plan on getting a filter that does ~925gph.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure I'd do clown loaches in a discus tank. Their darting around might stress the discus.

7. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

Any good alternatives then? I'd like a larger bottom dweller.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Personally I wouldn't do anything large with them. Sterbai cory might be the only thing I'd add on the bottom.

9. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

How many of those with 15 Discus?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Really as many as you want. In a 210, you have lots of room. I wouldn't add them until you get sand, and I wouldn't add sand until the discus are adults. It might be worth getting a 55 gal grow out tank for the discus, so you're not doing such large and frequent changes on such a big tank.

11. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

What about a stocking plan based around some severums? I'm trying to get a lot to pick from.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do 2-4 severums and a school or two of large tetra. If you don't mind mixing continents, you could try Congos or Boesemani or other large rainbowfish.

13. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

I really like Red Tailed Hemiodus. How many of those could I do? I think I'll get 4-6 severums and wait for them to pair off and keep a pair.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

10-15 maybe? You could always add more if they look like they have plenty of space.

15. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

I just had an idea. Is a 29g big enough for a discus growout tank?

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

For how many discus?

17. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

For the discus stocking I planned on getting 15 total. I also have a 20 long.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I meant for the grow out - how many at a time. I'm not sure I'd use a 20 long for a grow out, and I'm not sure about the suitability of a 29 gal either.
    @Slug Disc61

19. Jaxsco Well Known Member Member

Ok, I'd like to focus on the south american plan if we can. So far I've got:
    2 Severums
    # Red Tailed Hemiodus

and I'd like to add a pleco of some sort, cory, and some more cichlids. The tbar, Firemouth, and geos catch my eye.

20. cjbart1009 Member Member

Have you looked at chocolate cichlids?