210 Gallon Tank (Weight?)

F1sh
Hello all, I've been looking to upgrade my 125 Gallon Goldfish tank to a 210 Gallon for some extra space. I've been saving up for it recently, and I don't want to spend another 6 months saving up for a stand for that tank. I was wondering if a wooden counter(it's built into my house) would support the 210 Gallon. I was planning to also get some sand, and some rocks for the tank as well, so that is also probably going increase the weight even more. The wooden counter is well supported and has been able to carry my 125 gallon without any issues in the past.

Advertisement
SparkyJones
Not sure what you're asking but if it's just for the weight of a 210 full with everything, it's about 2500 pounds
125g is about 1400 pounds. It's an extra 1000 pounds roughly.

It's a lot of weight.
Generally speaking you wouldn't need to reinforce a wood floor for a 125g at all. but for a 210g you better be sure of it or reinforce just for safe measure. It's sketchy and if it's too much weight it's gonna be too late when you find out.

It's not just the stand though, you could get a stand that supports the weight, you gotta be sure about everything under the stand or disaster. Above 125g, that 1500 pound range, houses just aren't built to take it sitting in one spot constantly unless you are placing it on the ground floor And have a solid slab foundation.

That tank would be like parking a car on the counter indefinitely.

Advertisement
John58ford
I would figure the tank to weight about 1800lbs full of water, call it 2000 with hardscape, sand and accessories and you would be ball park. I would bet most decent built in counters would hold this much weight momentarily and static but there's more to consider.

-1)Water is fluid weight, any shifting would cause heavy side loading which is hard on a box construction like a counter. This could be an earthquake, or if the counter started to fail, you likely won't have time to correct the issue.

-2) most counters have cabinets under them, this causes a structurally weak side (that may be strong enough depending on building technique) but also, this side typically overhangs a toe kick (so your feet can fit under the "working side" of the counter). This overhang also adds a potential week spot.

-3) if the counter is significantly wider than the tank there will possibly be warping to account for as the counter top settles under load. Box construction designed for load typically puts the "walls" directly under the edges of the load. Internal bracing could solve this.

But

+1) usually even builder grade counter tops are in the 1" thick or more, and laminated to be moisture/spill resistant. If there were a design to make up for poor structural balance this would be key to success.

+2) typically counters are anchored to the floor and wall, this reduces the chance of a tip or cantilever failure, it also reduces stress points on the structure and would make a lighter appearing design hold more weight compared to free standing furniture.

I can't say for sure what you have will hold that tank long term, but there's no reason to rule it out based on what people on the Internet say. You really need to hire a cabinet guy, offer him his quote fee in exchange for a good look at your counter and if he's unfamiliar with fish tanks explain to him the total weight, where it will be sitting on the counter (even draw it out with tape for him) and see if he would trust it as built or possibly might add bracing internally. Alternative material like a steel channel down the center tied into the walls could solve most of the worries unobtrusively.

Edited: I had used the wrong carry on my calculator for the numbers originally, calculated just glass and sand weight. Above is now corrected.

AvaS
I personally would not put an aquarium that size on a counter. Though I guess it’s really depends countertop itself as they are not all made equally and that would play a big factor in whether or not it could hold it.. I have a 110g on a aquarium cabinet from the pet store and even that stresses me out, my husband did reinforce it with some wood but it gives me anxiety daily lol I’ve thought of putting a smaller aquarium on my counter in the kitchen, but even a 10 gallon would make me bite my nails as that’s over 100lbs with decor and rocks and water. Maybe I just have bad anxiety! Hahaha

Redshark1
I would go for a solid aquarium stand for peace of mind. I think there are also good guides to doing a solid support the budget way with blocks etc. online.
e.g. monsterfishkeepers.com

I regret getting my woodchip cabinet for my 110g despite getting it for a bargain price. It has definitely moved and I fear having everything collapse one day. I do have a concrete floor though.

FishDin
Home counters are not built to hold a ton of weight, as in 2000lbs. Neither are the floors below. Current US building code requires floors to hold 40lbs per square foot. Canada is probably similar.

So a floor is required to be able to hold about 400 lbs per 12 square feet, which is the footprint of a 210g. How much your floor will hold is unknown, but your asking it to hold 5 times more than it was probably built to hold.

Advertisement
F1sh
okay, so, the best solution seems to be just to get an aquarium stand, I'm probably going to leave it in my basement, which has concrete floors, just for extra protection.

86 ssinit
Yes basement on concrete floor is your best option. If you have any wood skills making a stand is not hard. There are many DIY plans online and videos on utube. Cinder blocks also work well and are cheap. Oh and 200g is a lot of water. I had one break. Sounded like a gun shot and filled my basement with about 8+ inches of water. Had to redo the basement. If anywhere upstairs it would have been a disaster!!!

jaysurf7
I would say the basement floor with concrete floors would be the best place for a tank that large also. It would give ya more peace of mind not worrying about the weight on a higher floor.

Islandvic
If you don't want to build a wood stand, have you considered buying a metal storage rack that can hold the weight?

Google search "DEWALT DXST10000" and "Husky 1007784729" Steel Garage Storage Shelving Unit ....

They're rack shelves are 77" wide and 24" deep, and rated for 2500lb on each shelf.

If they are not available in Canada, I'm sure an equivalent is.

Using a steel shelving system would allow you to put easily place a 55g sump tank on the bottom shelf and the 210g tank above it.

FishDin
If you don't want to build a wood stand, have you considered buying a metal storage rack that can hold the weight?

Google search "DEWALT DXST10000" and "Husky 1007784729" Steel Garage Storage Shelving Unit ....
I've done this and it works great. The chalange can be finding one that is the correct height.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Krisk88
Replies
Views
Gurs Singh
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views