210 Gallon Planted Rainbowfish Tank

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am converting my African Cichlid tank into a planted tank for rainbowfish. I got the old substrate out and now we start cleaning the tank, sumps and anything else we plan to reuse. Should be a fun build!

9EFF950F-5DB4-4F25-981F-620B9668E243.jpeg

It looks like water splashing into the sump damaged my stand. I’ll have to repair it before we put the tank back on!
A7F54C2C-E872-485E-B106-72DCA046369D.jpeg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in .
I love big tank builds .
Rainbows are great to boot !
I filled the ends of my stand for my 180 with 2x4 !
0rgKsXbl.jpg

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
I'm in .
I love big tank builds .
Rainbows are great to boot !
I filled the ends of my stand for my 180 with 2x4 !
0rgKsXbl.jpg
I bought some wood filler and am waiting for it to dry so I can sand it. Structurally the stand is fine. It was just one board that was damaged. The rest was just stained.

Nothing says fish keeping fun like scraping out old sumps with razor blades!
8874327D-90F4-4AD0-BCFF-FD71304AE417.jpeg

Took a break from cleaning to build supply and return lines for my 2 canister filters. The old ones cracked and didn’t match anyway so I decided to DIY! Now I just need to wait for my paint to be delivered from Amazon!
543A98BD-5A3C-4F61-A03B-8EDD78D1616A.jpeg
00C18F03-300D-4ACE-AF18-94BD799CC76A.jpeg

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is going to be good. Im following!

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LeoDiaz said:
So are you going to be using the sump in conjunction with the canister filters?
Yes, I built a 2 tank 60 gallon sump in addition to the 2 canister filters. It’s the same sump I used when it was a cichlid tank

So when you put two canister filters in your garage and forget to clean them and then get them out 3 years later well...let’s just say that was a disgusting cleaning job!

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
KDS said:
Yes, I built a 2 tank 60 gallon sump in addition to the 2 canister filters. It’s the same sump I used when it was a cichlid tank
Is there a reason why you still using the canisters that are 3 years old? A 60g sump should be more than enough for 210g. Or is it for redundancy I guess?

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LeoDiaz said:
Is there a reason why you still using the canisters that are 3 years old? A 60g sump should be more than enough for 210g. Or is it for redundancy I guess?
It is for redundancy and makes maintenance a little less of a chore. When it was a cichlid tank, I was changing the filter socks all the time, every 3 days. I’m hoping to reduce the flow through the sump a little and let the canisters do a little of the work. It will also back things up for when my sump pump fails (which happened twice before) It is nice to know I have 2 filters flowing 300 gph each. That and 600 gph through the sump and I’ll be turning that tank over 6 times an hour at minimum.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah for my 250g cichlid tank I run 1 sump and didn’t use filter socks I use 3 grades of filter foam and I don’t have to worry about cleaning them out that often. And then for emergencies I designed it so if necessary if the water cant flow through the foam to flow over the baffle if needed. But I have no redundancy if it fails but the wave makers should keep the water oxygenated till I get another pump if ever have to. Any ideas on the stocking your going to do fish and plant wise?

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LeoDiaz said:
Yeah for my 250g cichlid tank I run 1 sump and didn’t use filter socks I use 3 grades of filter foam and I don’t have to worry about cleaning them out that often. And then for emergencies I designed it so if necessary if the water cant flow through the foam to flow over the baffle if needed. But I have no redundancy if it fails but the wave makers should keep the water oxygenated till I get another pump if ever have to. Any ideas on the stocking your going to do fish and plant wise?
I tried filter foam in my sump but it reduced the flow too much. I may experiment with it again though. I’m still researching plants but it will be low tech so I’m shooting for anubias, jungle val, and a few others I haven’t decided on yet. Here is the draft stocking list:

Redline Torpedo Barbs
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Goyder River Rainbowfish
Yellow Rainbowfish
Turquoise Rainbowfish
German Blue Rams
Albino Corys
Gold Nugget Pleco
Green Phantom Pleco
Blue Phantom Pleco
Broken Line Royal Pleco
Redtail Stemella Pleco

We cleaned out the sumps and did an overnight leak test. Everything looks good!
A66E8A7F-E40C-4165-8E64-81060CDA6D32.jpeg
5AADB8A7-7C12-42F5-AF5C-C837BB92B277.jpeg

The stand repair is coming along nicely. We are ready to sand and see if it needs a second coat of fill. Then we will paint it.
56B5B3A3-E82E-4974-B9A1-EC22C15E084A.jpeg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking good !
Love the huge sump ! NICE !
I would consider Bolivian rams over German unless you plan to heat the tank to 80f +.
I think for the bows the Bolivians are more compatible ..
You are moving right along ..
Can't wait to see it up and running ..

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
Looking good !
Love the huge sump ! NICE !
I would consider Bolivian rams over German unless you plan to heat the tank to 80f +.
I think for the bows the Bolivians are more compatible ..
You are moving right along ..
Can't wait to see it up and running ..
I’m planning to keep the temp around 79-80°. Bolivians are an option but I really want Germans. I guess it will be a game time decision because I’m miles from getting fish in this tank!

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When you said 2 tank sump you literally meant 2 separate tanks. I haven’t seen a tank use a setup like that in long time. Have you looked into the L14 sunshine pleco instead of the gold nugget. The gold nugget in my experience is a more sensitive pleco and doesn’t look as attractive once full grown. Also when buying plecos you want to buy it from someone that knows what they are actually selling you. And that labels the plecos by their L numbers.

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ll check out the L14!

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We got the main tank outside for cleaning. Man this thing is heavy!
EA9755AF-2925-4C41-874D-7660F49B6AE1.jpeg

Stand repair update. I sanded the repair and it looks pretty good. Maybe a little touch up and more sanding and it will be ready to paint. Hopefully tomorrow!
4652C85C-0A49-4B7F-8A6B-73A6408FCB01.jpeg

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Almost done! Just have to get it back inside after this!
70F7598E-1F20-4D32-972F-F8A40AE02602.jpeg

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks good.
I wouldn’t worry too much about more fill on that stand repair. I’d make sure you use good quality paint and maybe a waterproofing membrane to ensure it doesn’t keep rotting. I’ve used red guard before with good success.

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We finally have the display tank back in the house. I have a few hard water deposits to work on and a few spots I missed but I can work on that while I’m doing other things. I’m making some adjustments to the baffles in the sump and waiting for a new pump to be delivered. Next step is to test my old water heaters to see if they work, paint the repaired section of the stand and paint the supply and return lines for the canister filters.
F4EC0379-69DA-4979-A3EE-DC03E335B492.jpeg

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is repaint the entire inside while you don’t have anything inside the stand. Why not right?

KDS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
saltwater60 said:
Is repaint the entire inside while you don’t have anything inside the stand. Why not right?
I was just going to paint the repair spot. No one will see it anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom