210 Gallon Goldfish Tank Filtration

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by tintin1982, Aug 2, 2017.

1. tintin1982

tintin1982 Valued Member Member

Hello :)

I have started a 210 gallon fish tank for housing fancy Goldfish and would like to know if the following filtration system that I have currently running is enough for my tank:

2 X SunSun 304A @ 520 Gallons Per Hour (each).

1 X SunSun 302 @ 264 Gallons Per Hour.

4 X Large Sponge Filters (Model: XY-380) run through a couple of Hagen Marina 200 Air Pumps.

All 3 of the above SunSun canister filters have a mix of ceramic rings, scrubbies and filter floss stuffed into them. The fish tank dimensions are: 84" (L) X 24" (W) X 24" (H). For water movement I use an internal powerhead rated at 730 gallons per hour.

I'm thinking if I should add another SunSun 304A filter to the above setup or am I covered with the existing filtration structure as stated above? I plan on keeping a total of 12-14 Fancy Goldfish in the tank.

Kindly advice.

Regards,
    tintin1982

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Honestly, I think you're covered. That's plenty enough to circulate the tank and handle the bioload of that many goldfish...it might be a bit too much circulation (not filtration) in general, since being such big bodied fish, they may have trouble with the current, so definitely test the amount of circulation you have in conjunction with the powerhead so you don't blow them away :)

What kind of goldfish where you planning to get?

3. OP
    OP
    tintin1982

Thank-you so much for the reply and the info :)

I have decided to stick with the 3 SunSun filters (as mentioned above in my original post) for now and not add any more filtration to the tank. As you mentioned in your post the Goldfish might end up having trouble if there is too much circulation in the tank and that will eventually stress them out.

I'm actually in the process of slowly transferring and stocking this new 210 gallon tank with my currently 7 existing Goldfish (Oranda's, Shukin's, Black Moors) from my old 120 gallon tank. Once I have transferred all of them to the new tank I will let the new tank stabilize for a good few months before adding any more fish to it. This will help me in seeing how the overall filtration system holds up with time. The older 120 gallon tank from where I'm transferring the fishes will be shutdown. I'll setup a 27 gallon quarantine tank in it's place.

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

That sounds like a plan! I bet those goldies are going to have a blast :)

Are you transferring their media over as well?

5. OP
    OP
    tintin1982

I have transferred a couple of my Goldies into the tank so far. Immediately upon transfer into the 210 gallon tank they were immensely happy to swim to ends of the tank. Since the tank is bare bottom and I'm not much a fan of decorations it gives the fish more area to swim and traverse from one end to the other. :)

About the media, yes I will be transferring all of the cycled media to the 210 gallon and the 27 gallon QT tank which I'll be setting up as soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice