21 Cherry Shrimp In A 5g, Multiple Questions

Quiche

Hi!
Long story slightly less long- I bought 6 cherry shrimp from a LFS. 4 died. Water params were 0/0/10 and a ph of 8. Then I got 5 more, from a fish expo. Up until yesterday, I had 1 survivor in total. Today, I got 20 (I asked for 15 but I guess they gave me a few extra) cherry shrimp, from craigslist. It's a last ditch effort.
I've got three things I want to cover- molting problems, active shrimp, and suicidal shrimp.

In the picture below you can see that this shrimp has the 'white line of death'.

This picture was taken about a month and a half ago. The shrimp has since died. I figured this out when I had 2 shrimp left (one died later for unknown reasons), and started adding powdered cuttlebone, even though the API test kit stated I had >8 of both KH and GH. It worked. The strange thing? Before I realized that shrimps were dying off because of molting problems, I found 6 molts. Afterwards, the 1 survivor molted multiple times, most recently yesterday. So I guess my question is, did the cuttlebone help? Why did could some shrimp molt and not the others?

Second topic is fairly short. The 20 shrimp are extremely active. I can't even count them, at any given time at least 4 of them are moving. They don't stay still for long. Should I be worried?

Lastly, suicidal shrimp. This topic needs some photos to explain.
My tank is a Fluval Spec V. The intake looks like this-

Do you see the net clipped over it? That's because the shrimp were literally climbing into the slits of the intake. Like, full grown inch long shrimp actively squeezing themselves through the bars to get to here. Not just one, but at least 8 tried to get in that tiny 1 inch deep pool of water. It took a long time to get them all out of there, because as soon as I would net one out and back into the main tank, another one would replace it. Why?

Thanks for getting through this block of text and photos!

Demeter

What have you been feeding them? How long does it take before they start to die off once you've added them? What is the temp of the water?

Not sure why your shrimp are dying. I have a breeding colony going strong in a pH of 8. No molting problems, no deaths, plenty of babies.

As for them being suicidal, perhaps there is something in the water causes them to want to leave it, even if they end up dying. I know shrimp are sensitive to heavy metals and copper. Do you use any water conditioners? Another theory is the tank is too open. Shrimp like cover, they love it actually. Add more plants, live if possible. Either that or add some Indian almond leaves (or dried oak leaves, they're free here ). Some more driftwood would do them good too.

Quiche

Fluval Shrimp Granules or NLS pellets, I tried feeding them an algae wafer, but they didn't take it. They pounce on the shrimp granules, though! One just died every few days. The water is at 73 degrees. I use Seachem Prime. I have more driftwood and live plants I can add, I'll put them in tomorrow morning!

Quiche

Alright so I added another piece of driftwood, but I really don't think that they need more cover. They can hide underneath the bridge or the driftwood, but instead, they're all around the tank. I haven't seen any of the trying to jump out. No casualties overnight, and I counted 19 just now, but I probably just missed the two others because there's no corpses. Also, apparently one of them is berried? Any idea on how long till they hatch? They're light green, if that helps, but I know it's hard to tell the hatching date until you can see their eyes. Thanks for responding, though!

Demeter

It usually takes 2 weeks or 2.5 for mine to hatch, but they are at a higher temp (78ish). Eggs are either green or yellow when laid but they slowly lighten in color. I would guess yours are a few days old, so at a cooler temp perhaps 3-4 weeks from being laid to hatching. You won't really be able to see when they hatch unless you are right there when they do. Just keep an eye out for shrimplets in the next few weeks.

-Mak-

To shrimp proof the spec, I glued pieces of sponge to make legs under the main filter block, so the entire large sponge sat higher and blocked the slits. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but my shrimp aren't able to get into the filter.

Quiche

Good news is that I found two baby shrimplets!
Bad news is that I found a shrimp corpse (another shrimp had snagged the dead one's eye and started eating it) and I can only count 18 shrimp (I recounted multiple times), while I should have 20. I hope they're just hiding out in the driftwood somewhere. What are the chances that the 2 others died and the others completely ate them in 10 hours? Wouldn't they had a tough time getting through the exoskeleton? (Not a rhetorical question, any answers would be appreciated) Neutral news is that the dead shrimp didn't have the 'white line of death' and didn't break into half when I netted it out, like the previous shrimps with molting problems.
Everyone is eating and molting fine, I found over 5 molts this last week. Lower picture is of one shrimplet, and some shrimp eating Shrimp Granules.

bgclarke

From the photos above, your tank is quite bare with not a lot of hiding/hangout places for them.

I have floating plants in my tanks with cherry shrimp and the shrimp love it.

I had issues with shrimp deaths as well.
All of the shrimp from one store all died.
I took shrimp born in my other tank and put them in the other tank and they are thriving.

Quiche

The thing is, I can't really keep plants alive. I don't use ferts, but even the plants that everyone says will live without ferts wither. The java ferns turned yellow and developed black patches, the anubias have black around the edges and this algae on them that grows nowhere else in the tank, just on its leaves, and the hornwort was fine for a month before it shed half its leaves and started turning grey- and hornwort is invasive in some places! I might try marimo moss balls, water lettuce, salvinia, anacharis, or water sprite, in that order. Does anyone have experience with any of those? How hard are they to grow? I'd love to add plants, but I'd also like for them to survive.

-Mak-

Quiche said:
The thing is, I can't really keep plants alive. I don't use ferts, but even the plants that everyone says will live without ferts wither. The java ferns turned yellow and developed black patches, the anubias have black around the edges and this algae on them that grows nowhere else in the tank, just on its leaves, and the hornwort was fine for a month before it shed half its leaves and started turning grey- and hornwort is invasive in some places! I might try marimo moss balls, water lettuce, salvinia, anacharis, or water sprite, in that order. Does anyone have experience with any of those? How hard are they to grow? I'd love to add plants, but I'd also like for them to survive.
Plants need ferts, especially in shrimp tanks where no livestock is giving them these nutrients. The newer specs have a light that is good for growing low-med light plants, but limit the photoperiod to 8 hours a day to prevent algae.

WTFish?

When I started my rcs tank awhile back it was cycled (I had used media, gravel too) perfect parameters...added 22 shrimp, had a few deaths a day! When I was down to only 7 I was advised that using RO water might help, I have very hard water and they came from very soft water...I did that and haven’t had a death since, I even have a few berried girls. Maybe something to think about, idk? I also strongly suggest a sponge filter.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom