21 000 lit River Important

1. Gebhardt Initiate Member

This is my Pond (river)

12m (long) 1.5m (deep) 1.2m (w)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore Gebhardt!!!!!

Nice looking pond/river in the works!!!! Keep posting pics....and digging....lolol

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

It looks like a great start! Can't wait to see the turn out ;D PLEASE keep us updated :;hf

4. Gebhardt Initiate Member

will post pics as job go.... lol
    digging... and some more digging... and even more digging... ;o(

there will be a whole proses page on my site.... with specs and everything

5. namehater Well Known Member Member

wow thats a big hole! cant wait to see what it looks like all finished up, i wouldnt wish that kinda work on my worst enemy haha.

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Where are you?..I see palm trees, etc.....

7. Gebhardt Initiate Member

i am in pretoria south africa.

8. chuba Initiate Member

will you have a pumping system to simulate the flow of a river?

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fislore!
    WOW! S.A!! i'm watching the news right now and they're doing lots of stuff in S.A.!!

The river looks great! What fifsh are you planning on keeping?

10. Gebhardt Initiate Member

Hi all

Yes there will be a 45 000lit/h pump in there so that i get a nice current.
    I want it as close to real thing as possible.

and no idea on the type of fish or how many.... (lol i know bad planning) but I rather take it one step at a time....

maybe put a heater or two in and get aruwanas... lol

not sure but suggestions would be great.

11. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Wow - that looks great! How wide is the channel? How deep? Are you going to build up the edges so rainwater (etc.) doesn't run into the river? What kinds of plants are you going to use around and/or in it?

As for fish, what kind of temperatures do you get? How hot in the summer and how cold in the winter? A heater for something that long might be kind of difficult to pull off, since the water would have a long distance exposed to the weather to cool off (or heat up).

12. Gebhardt Initiate Member

Hi

heater was just joke.... wish i could but with THE NEW SOUTH AFRICA ... and by end next year or so South Africa will have THE MOST Expensive electricity in the world so i guess that option wound be possible with my small salary.

its 12m long, 1.5m deep and about 1.2m wide. It will use 2500 brick, 15 bags of cement and building sand.
    The edges will be about 15cm above ground.
    On the one side the ground will be lowered and 15mm glass will be build into the wall so that one can look into and below the water mark.....
    in the summer it gets about 34c and at winter i get min of 0c.. not freezable...

The plant will be added as i find them..... shopping for that will not be that easy, but i will have a view "local" water flowers and so on.

13. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Sounds wonderful! I look forward to seeing pics as you progress. What type of sealant are you using on the cement? Or is it pool cement? Our first pond was cement and it leaked - big time.

As for fishies, cool water or native fishies would probably be your best bet. Maybe google native fish for your area? Goldfish and Koi both do fine in cooler water. For the smaller to mid sized fish, there are mosquito fish, American Flag Fish, and Golden Orfe. There are others, but I can't think of the names right now. Plenty of time to research and decide what fish...

14. Gebhardt Initiate Member

Normal cement but I will use resin and hardener without the fiberglass wool. (Spray a view coats over cement.

15. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Lucky you!!! Some of the south African Koi Breeders have the most beautiful Koi and goldfish!!!

16. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I'm not familiar with that, but I'll hope it works well for you! It would be awful for the cement to start softening and leak.

What kind of supports do you have planned for the viewing window on the side?

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

This sounds stunning.

18. m-corbett1 Initiate Member

I'm soooo jealous!... haha p.s.- You couldnt get youre hands on a skidsteer or bobcat of anykind? .. you could have been donw with that in probably 3 hrs or less.

19. Gebhardt Initiate Member

LMBO i think i can do it in 2hours.... never thought of that one.

gremlin: fiberglass is well know to be used in pools and ponds. i just dont use the wool because i have one layer brick and one 50mm cement layer and then a 5mm "fiberglass".

support is build into the brick wall with steel rods inside the bricks..... ;o) (hope it will work) i have build a view hundred tanks in my life and i believe (pray) that it will work.

building will start in less than 10 days. will post a lot of updated pics on my site.

Blessings.

ps: back to digging...........................

20. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

What a project! I must have missed where your site/page is located? Can you provide a link? I'd love to see your progress.