20T Vs. 29

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LorenHusky, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LorenHusky

LorenHuskyValued MemberMember

So here comes the dilemma. I just recently set up my 20g Tall tank. It has 1 betta in it for the past 7 or 8 days now. It's obviously nowhere near cycled. My brother said I can have the 29 Gallon tank if I want it. The 29 gallon has the same length as a 20 long, and the same height as the 20 tall. Being that I am into smallish schooling fish, I think that the extra 6 inches of horizontal space would be great for them.
    The bad part is that my current main filter is a Penguin 100GPH filter. I do have a Marineland Duetto Mini 55GPH filter I could use to supplement if need be. So really the question to you guys is, is there any reason not to switch??

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I'd switch. You might as well go as big as you can. Use both filters on the 29 and you should be untill you start getting closer to fully stocked.

3. freak78

freak78Well Known MemberMember

I'd switch too. Even both filter won't be enough. You would need like a penguin 350 that would give you more than 10x the filtration you would need for that tank with an HOB filter.

4. OP
    OP
    LorenHusky

I'm a tad confused now. 155GPH on a 29G is flowing all the water in the tank 5.3x per hour. The Marineland 100GPH I have now in my 20g is rated for said 20g tank and it flows the tank 5x per hour. Am I missing something?

5. freak78

What I go by is the size of the tank. For example, since it's a 29 gallon tank I would want a filter that would flow 290 GPH. Approximately 10x the size of the tank since it's an HOB filter and their not as efficient as a canister. So with the current set up it's at 5x the turn over like you said. I tend to over filter my tanks. Never hurts. I've read that with an HOB you want it to turn over 10x the water and a canister 8x.

6. freak78

In the filtration part of the forum it will explain all this probably better than I can.

7. OP
    OP
    LorenHusky

Oh okay then. See I don't have experience with this sort of thing but it seems to me that filter manufacturers tend to shoot for 5x per hour when I started looking at specs of popular brands.. 20g = 100GPH, 30g = 150GPH, 40g = 200GPH etc etc.

8. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; In the five + decades I have run tanks the issue of a small filter for a big tank has happened to me. It has turned out to not be a big deal. I have run tanks with filters rated for tanks half their size or less. Even a smaller filter will flow water and can be made to work.
    One way to look at the work of a filter is to think about the amount of fish in a tank insted of the number of gallons of water. A tank that is not loaded with a heavy stock of fish can be serviced with a smaller filter. I have done this on several occasions. Sometimes due to a lack of funds and other times due to the nearest fish store with the equipment being a two hour drive away. At any rate it worked quite well running a smaller filter on a larger tank.
    From your description there is not a large fish load.
    I also like to run air powered bubblers of some sort and this will help greatly to suppliment a smaller filter. Tanks can and have been run with no filters at all. I have done this in the past (walstad method).

Based on my experience it is not an absolute necessity to have the maximum filtration flow often suggested. If the luxury of such filtration is available and affordable for you then it will do fine, but some amount of lesser filtration can work well.
    A heavy tank stocking or excessive overfeeding may well require large filtration

Filtration can be supplimented with water changes and using a siphon to clean detritus.

Good luck

9. freak78

Husky it's personal preference. I have a 55g with 2 penguin 350s on it. Some may say it's overkill but I'd rather have too much filtration than too little.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice