20L vs 29 Gallon Tank Decision -- Goldfish Question

1. thepinched Initiate Member

Hi all,

Currently i have a 3 G Marineland Eclipse. I have had this for nearly one year now. My one goldfish has steadily outgrown it. It really needs a bigger home and maybe one friend too. So i have decided that it's either a 20L or 29 G tank. I like the 20 L as it's low and long, but if there is a better reason to go 29 G then i'm all ears. the height is the only difference. also if in the future i am to decide to try a different fish in the tank, is there a benefit in having one size over the other (20l or 29)? but for now it's goldfish.

i really can't get anything bigger for my place.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello The pinched and Welcome to Fish Lore. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    Goldfish Caresheet
    I recommend the 29g as 1 Gold fish requires 20 gallons and each additional gold fish should have 10g. two or even 3 (with good filtration and frequent water changes, as they are large waste producers) would do nicely in a 29g tank. Take into consideration the adult size of the fish as well. Some fancy gold fish don't get as large as Comets.
    Types of Goldfish Species from Desktop Goldfish
    Remember too that Gold Fish are cold water species and should not be mixed with tropical fish.
    Best of luck and keep us posted!
    Ken

3. thepinched Initiate Member

Thanks!

That makes sense. I guess i just really like the looks of the 20L. Low and long...looked sleek.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    im going the opposite as ken LOL (typical woman!!)
    with great filtration, id go the 20g L as goldies love a vertical swim space.....id even think of a 30g L if you can find one :)

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Get as large as you can...they will keep growing!!!
    Great idea, can you find a 30 long or even larger? IMO the long tanks always look best, but there are some limitations to fish that have large fins (angels), because the long tanks aren't very deep....but they sure do give the fish more swimming space....and more decorating/landscape options.

6. thepinched Initiate Member

hmm. i haven't seen a 30L yet. any links to some?

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    Since I have one of each of the tanks you mentioned :whistling:
    I like my 29g. but for as big as goldies get, the 30L would be perfect for some swim room.
    I love my 20 long but better suited for smaller fish like guppies, tetras etc., IMO.

8. yukoandk Member Member

I'll chime in and drop a discussion of the surface area. A bigger surface area will allow more gas exchange and help with the oxygen level of the water. Good filtration and circulation is important for this, and the surface area will also contribute imo. It's not talked about a lot, but goldfish have a high requirement for oxygen. Good luck!

9. thepinched Initiate Member

i think i'm leaning towards the 29.

10. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Bigger in the case of fish tanks is always better. Larger tanks mean you have more options to stock it, more ways to lay it out. Also, more water means that things won't affect it so greatly. I'm sure there is more science behind that but I'll leave that for someone else. :D