20l tank always at 80???

sbrown64

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I was given a 20 litre hex tank with a built in light, I purchased a 50w heater and a small filter. I filled it up turned the filter and heater on and realised after thirty minutes the temp got to 80.

I unplugged the heater, left the light off and 24 hours later still the same temperature. I have taken out the thermometer and it works fine in any other tank, as soon as I put it back in it goes back up to 80.

The tank is sitting in our kitchen a bright room but out of sunlight and any overhead lights.

any ideas?

Regards

Stephen

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your heater may be too big. I use a 7.5 watt for my small tank. 80 is OK, that is what I keep my betta at. Just keep an eye on it.

OP
S

sbrown64

Reaction score
I unplugged the heater overnight and the temperature has not changed. The thermometer works fine as I have tested it. Could it be the tank is just very good at retaining the heat?

Regards

Stephen

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well it depends on your room temp as well. I would think that the temp should've dropped over 24hours, but water is slow to cool. I guess it is possible that your tank is just better at holding heat than most. (BTW is your tank near any heat source, heater or stove-- this could be the prob.)

OP
S

sbrown64

Reaction score
It is sitting on a worktop, with a fridge and a freezer below it. The temp is now 78, so it has dropped 2 degrees in 20 hours. At least I don't need to put the heater on at the moment.

Regards

Stephen

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
I bet if you feel the undersurface of the counter you have the tank setting on, it will be warm from the refrig/freezer setting under! They do put off heat. So it wouldn't be a problem if you have your heater in the tank set at a minimum of what you want your tank to run, then if it cools because the other appliances are not running, the heater will kick in.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

New Threads