20l Breeding/growout Tank

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I picked up a 20L at the DPG sale today (tolerant hubby's only remark was "looks like you've been doing some shopping..." I love that man!)

The kids and I are planning to use this as a homeschool science project and attempt some fish breeding. We'd like to set up a planted tank "jungle", add fish (gold barbs or praecox rainbows) for a week or so to allow time to spawn, then remove them back to the main tank before eggs hatch. We're hoping that lots of plants will protect the eggs from predation, particularly if we have some kind of carpet, Java moss, and/or ferny-leaved plants. Thinking of dirting the tank as well. I also have no problem with green water (so long as it's not soup), as that should help feed the babies. So this may go in a somewhat sunny room.

I know spawning and fry tanks are often bare-bottom. We would like to take a more "back to nature" approach and see what happens.

Has anyone tried something like this successfully? Any tips? Is this a reasonable approach?

jackson tropicals

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is a great idea. I have bread some fish and having a separate tank is great for breeding. Goodluck
Do you buy your fish online or a store.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks!

So far, all my fish have come from stores. Mostly an excellent LFS near me that's a bit pricey but worth every penny for the quality.

Our hope is to eventually move to breeding some uncommon rainbowfish or guianacara. This is sort of a "primer" for us to learn what we're doing. We may even just start with raising some swordtail fry to get the hang of it, before trying an egg-laying fish. The kids are going to have serious input on that decision, I want them to be involved and engaged on this

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Been thinking about the layout on this (instead of cooking dinner... oops). I think I'd like to try a Christmas moss wall. I think it'd be great for growing tiny organisms for fry to eat, and it would look really cool. Then dirt the bottom, cap with sand, and plant with crypt undulata and some other low-growing plants. I have some driftwood harvested in the woods last year that I can also throw in there... perhaps add a spiky moss to the wood? I'd really like to try to grow fry as naturally as possible, so all the microscopic fauna that flourish in moss sounds ideal, and I've been wanting to try a mostly-mosses tank. I do have dwarf water lettuce, amazon frogbit, and giant duckweed in my main tank that I could also add.

Anyone think a dirted tank is a really bad idea for a fry tank...?

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it would be great, just a little harder to clean.

Could you hatch them in a smaller tank (maybe 5 gallons) then once they are 1-2 weeks old move them to the 20 gallon? I think it would be a pain removing unfertilized eggs from a dirtied tank.

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think it would be great, just a little harder to clean.

Could you hatch them in a smaller tank (maybe 5 gallons) then once they are 1-2 weeks old move them to the 20 gallon? I think it would be a pain removing unfertilized eggs from a dirtied tank.
I think 20L is 5 gallons

But overall, yeah, it sounds really good! And your husband sounds very nice - everyone's reaction to my fish tanks are "Can I pay you $20 to not get another tank?"

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom