20h Stocking

1. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm still going back and forth as to whether I want a double stand or just your standard when I start my Bolivian Ram tank, hopefully in a couple weeks. I figure it would be easier to see what I could stock if I got an additional 20H. As I plan to open an eBay store (need something ready/old enough to sell), I'd like something I can add to that store (plan to breed stock to keep prices competitive). Any suggestions as to what I could stock if I got a double stand and (eventually) added another 20H?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What about a hillstream tank, with fast moving water?
    I'd do this:
    8 Gastromyzon sp.
    8 rosy danios (Danio roseus)
    1 Rhinogobius (whatever species you could get)
    I'd like to think of a centerpiece for this, but it's hard.....

3. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I'd like to do something similar eventually with Hillstream Loaches. This tank will come already set up (used), so I don't really want to make all kinds of modifications (filter is proper GPH).

4. OP
    OP
    Katie13

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Go with the double - if you don't, you'll probably be kicking yourself for not getting it in a few weeks...

6. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I definitely think a double would be great, but I'm basically out of stocking ideas of things I could breed to sell in my online store. Maybe Appistos? What about Honey Gouramis?

7. JeffK

Well, apistos are fairly easy to breed, and would bring about a decent return (if you charged $20 per pair or $20 for 6 unsexed juvies, for example, I bet it would be very tough to find a better deal!) If you charged a little more, you'd still be very competitive with your pricing.

I have no idea how easy it is to breed honey gouramis, but what do they sell for, $3 a piece?

Peacock gudgeons are pretty easy to breed (trying to think of something fairly easy but less common).

Actually, if I knew a place where I could get quality dwarf gouramis (healthy stock with less chance of developing DG disease), I'd certainly patronize them. I think there's a good demand for them (no idea how easy it is to breed them).

Maybe speak with a LFS (if you have one you'd be comfortable with) and see if there's any species they'd buy from you?

8. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I could. I've heard Honey Gouramis are fairly easy to breed. How many Appistos could I do? Other stock? Maybe I should convince my husband to finally let me put tanks in the basement (needs to be redone). I just got a male DG from PetSmart yesterday for my Gold Ram tank. I've still got to find 2-3 females. I'll be putting in a call hopefully tomorrow to check with my specialty store.

9. JeffK

I think most people put a breeding pair of apistos in 10-15 gal tanks (the 15 is the same footprint as a 20H, which you probably already know) :) There are tons of apisto breeding videos on youtube.

10. OP
    OP
    Katie13

How many could I put in a 20H to pair off? I have tanks prepared to move my Rams to when they pair off, and it would be the same for Apistos.

11. JeffK

I'm not even sure it works that way with apistos, as they are often harem breeders. If you put a male with 2-3 females, he may breed with them all.

12. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I've stuck to Rams too much. I guess that would be easier. Maybe 1m/2f in a 20H?

13. JeffK

14. JeffK

That sounds fine.

15. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Thanks @JeffK I'll be putting research into Apistos and deciding upon color/species until I get them.

16. JeffK

Happy to help with what I can. I'm not into breeding - wish I could have contributed more...

17. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I keep Rams, I can't say I know much about Apistos. I decided Apistos would be a good choice though. I'd eventually love to keep a pair of Kribs as well. I figured that if I wanted to have an online store for fish, inverts, etc, the best way to keep prices as competitive as possible would be breeding, not to mention that the buyer would know the full history of the fish

18. JeffK

I don't know if you've ever spent much time on apistogramma.com It's not nearly as active as Fishlore but Mike Wise and others really know their stuff regarding all things dwarf cichlid!

19. OP
    OP
    Katie13

That was one of the first sources I went to. I decided that instead of calling my specialty store tomorrow, I'm just going to go in on Saturday. I've been meaning to stop by for a while now. I'll have to see if they have Apistos or can order them.