20H stocking advice

1. Themetalchurch Initiate Member

So I'm almost where I want to be and I want to make sure I'm not completely pushing the limit. I currently have 7 black neon tetra, 7 peppered Cory, 1 bristlenose pleco and 6-8 rcs. I'd ideally like to add 5 more black neons and call it a day. I'm running an eheim 2213 canister, and have an AC50 HOB I could potentially use as well. Thanks in advance!

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I personally would rehome the peppered cories as they need very cool water, plus you have too many bottom dwellers imo with the cory school and the pleco.

3. Themetalchurch Initiate Member

Even if they both have territory staked out? I'd probably try to rehome the pleco before the corys. I appreciate the advice, has me doing more research!

4. katiemorrison94 Member Member

Corys need more floor space in the aquarium. A 20 gallon high just doesn't have enough.

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Even if you rehomed the pleco, you have temp compatibility issues with the black neons which need warmer water than the peppered corys. Also, corys don't stick to a specific territory. They pretty much roam around everywhere.

20 high is enough room for the 7 corys but I wouldn't add any more.

6. Themetalchurch Initiate Member

If I were to upgrade the tank to a 29 would that be adequate? Petco is doing the $1/gallon sale, and I enjoy projects so I am willing to try and migrate the entire tank into a larger one

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, and then you could move the pleco and black neons to the 29 and keep the peppered corys in the 20g.

8. Themetalchurch Initiate Member

All of the information I can find online lists both peppered Cory and black neons temperature ranges at 72-78 degrees how are they incompatible? I also don't understand how a school of corys and a bn pleco are too many bottom feeders if they're all fed enough and have plenty of hiding places (it's a heavily planted tank). I'm not trying to be antagonistic I'm legitimately curious

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

A lot of online sources are inaccurate. Planetcatfish is reputable for catfish stats. Seriouslyfish.com and Fishbase.org are also reliable.

Peppered corys do best below 73F. Black neons do well at 75-76 so really there is no overlap.

It's not just about being fed enough or having territories. You have to also consider bioload and activity level when stocking a tank.

10. Themetalchurch Initiate Member

Gotcha. Is liveaquaria not a reliable source? I appreciate the information.

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely not. Liveaquaria is an online fish store.