20gallon long cichlid tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishGuy101, Dec 10, 2012.

1. F

FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

Hi i have been wanting a cichlid tank for a while and i found a 20 gallon long tank on sale for 32 dollars i was wondering if i could get any cichlids and live plants i was planning on having sand also

2. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Yep, the dwarf cichlids can fit in there. Were you thinking south american cichlids or african? Of the africans, you can either do shell dwellers (Brevis, Ocellatus, multies, etc) or some of the "rock dwellers" (caudopunks but you should double check they're 20 not 30 gal requirement) and plant with anubias, java fern... maybe saggitarious if yer lucky but those fish like to dig just to warn you. If south american: rams or apistos, plants are alot of options I believe :D I'm sure someone else can chime in with more options, in the mean time, I like to use these for researching purposes (someplace to start in my mind):  

3. OP
    OP
    F

im interested in both what are my options

4. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I like a light stock, if African, I'd say pick a specie of dwarf cichlid (Brevis, Multie, Caudopunk, Ocellatus are the main/popular ones) and maybe have a "dither" fish, though you may not need it. My tank is specie only with Zebra Brevis, lots of shells and several variety of anubias.

South American, a single ram (German blue/gold or Bolivian) or apistogramma and a school of tetras with some different plants like a small sword, bacopa or ludwigia if you've got a good light and ferts, etc. Maybe a proven breeding pair can fit, but that I dont know
    :)

5. OP
    OP
    F

what about 3 or 4 yellow labs

6. OP
    OP
    F

how many yellw labs in a 20 gallon long

i was wondering how many yellow labs could go in a 20 gallon long

7. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Hello :)

Yellow labs, and most other africans, need tanks of at least 55 gallons. As said above, though, shellies would work!

If you went with a species of dwarf cichlid, you could probably do a pair, depending on the type you choose, and one or two schools of some other fish (like tetras or cories).

8. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

the minimum tank size for a yellow lab is 55 gallons in the 20 long you cant really do cichlids you could try community fish

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Respectfully, that's not quite true.

Whilst most cichlids require 55G+, there are still some cichlids that are ok in a 20G.

Shell Dwellers from Lake Tanganyika in Africa will do brilliantly in a 20G https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may09/shell-dweller-cichlid.htm

You could also maybe do a pair of Rams: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm

But I do agree, yellow labs do need a 55 or more (mainly for aggression, though they do get to a good size)

10. OP
    OP
    F

o ok thnx =(

i was just interested in yellow labs =(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  11. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Yellow Labs need to be in a group of 5 or more and with other Africans of similar species. As noted above, too, a much bigger tank of about 55 Gallons+ would be advisable. They can reach a size of about 5-7 inches.

I have a 75 Gallon with 5 groups of 6 (of each group). It works well for the reason of aggression, the tank size and distraction of the aggression.

If you put a few Yellow Labs by themselves (out of the African Cichlid species), then one might get too territorial and aggressive and pick on the others too much - stressing them out to the point of being unhealthy.

12. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I wanted yellow labs so I got a 75 gal. They are in qt while it finishes cycling. Awesome fish.

Asking in separate threads really won't get you a different answer though, unless maybe a bad one.

Most folks here just care about the fish. And you don't wanna struggle to get a bigger tank because your fish are stunted.

If you really want the labs, save up for a bigger tank. You will be glad you did!

13. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;du FishGuy, I have merged your two threads. Please only start one thread per topic.

14. OP
    OP
    F

ok lol they didnt reply and i wanted 2 kno by today the go of sale 2day and i was only gonna get in if i could put yellow labs what if i get 5 females i read they inly get up to 3 inches and are less agressive then males
    '

7 inches ? are we talking bout the same fish im talking bout electric yellow labidochromis

15. A

Fishguy - As me and others have noted, that is not advisable for a 20 Gallon tank in the least. They would not be content and their growth would be stunted. On top of that, with only having 5 Mbunas, you'd have a territorial blood bath.

It's ultimately up to you, but I strongly advise against any Mbunas or African Cichlids in less than a 40 Gallon Fish Tank.

(When you setup an Mbuna tank, it's like this for example: 6 Yellow Labs, 6 Blue Cobalts, 6 Socolofi's).

And yes, it's the same Yellow Lab I am talking about.

16. OP
    OP
    F

im just no gonna get any =( thnx n e way

17. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Sorry for the bad news :(

I'm sure we could help you stock the 20 with other cichlids if you'd like!

18. A

There are other Cichlids you could put in a 20 Gallon, but you are going to be limited. Just make sure you do your research or ask on the forum. There are several of us as members that are on here frequently enough to help you decide, etc.

The only kind I can think of are maybe a few dwarf cichlids, but other than that, it's about territorial issues within such small parameters.

19. OP
    OP
    F

no its cool i just realy wanted some yellow labs .... i might look on cregs list for a bigger tank aand stand

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice