20gal Tetra, Betta, And Cory Cat Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Adrian Burke, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

This is my first large tank, and i plan to have 8-12 tetras, 2-3 corydoras, and a betta. According to what i have read, these fish should get along in 20 gallons depending on how the betta acts. When and how much should I feed them? I know that they all can eat flake food, but how can i make sure the corys at the bottom get some? Please tell me if theres anything else i am overlooking. Thanks!

2. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

A few issues with your plan... Betta in a 20 with tankmates is questionable... but that aside, Corys need a group of 6+, and depending on what kind, they are not likely temperature compatible with the Betta anyway. Not sure on the tetras, if you are talking Neons, I don't think they wouldn't be temp compatible with the Betta either. Someone else may have more info on the tetras though. You might want to leave the Betta out of the equation, and just go with the tetras and 6+ cories?

3. OP
    OP
    Adrian Burke

sounds good! Any other upper-level tankmates that might fit in well with the neon tetras and the corydoras?

I think I might be having a 30 or 40 gallon now, looking at the space i have. Would this size allow the beta to not get too territorial?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  4. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

20-40g is a good size to have a betta with other fish. Although it also depends on the betta. Corydoras are schooling fish so you will need at least 6 of them, I wouldn't do neon tetras, maybe rummynose or cardinal tetras if you want tetras, Harley Quinn rasboras or chili rasboras are also a good option

5. Algonquin

If you take the measurements of your tank, there's some quick online calculators that will tell you how many gallons it is.

Re the betta, if the tank is heavily planted, has lots of hiding places and blocked sight lines, and his personality is pretty laid back, it might be ok. Just keep in mind that just because he's ok when you first introduce him to the tank, doesn't mean it will always be so. Be sure to have a back up plan ready to go in case it doesn't go well!

6. OP
    OP
    Adrian Burke

great, i´ll have a standby fishbowl in case things go bad. As for the tetras, iĺl see what alternatives petco has. Thanks!

7. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Depends on the betta. They all have vastly different personalities. If you do try a betta with cories and tetras though, I recommend sterbai or bronze corys, and cardinal tetras instead of neons. They can all handle 78 Fahrenheit pretty well. Also, approach this mix with GREAT CAUTION, as you never know how a betta may react. If you do try this with a 20 gallon, do yourself a favor and go with a 20 Long instead of High.

Now, back to one of your original questions, corys can eat flakes that sink. This is one reason why so many people like them. They clean up the leftovers. That's just it though, it's only the scraps and they should not have to only rely on that to survive their inevitably short lives. They will also need some kind of protein rich sinking pellet or wafer. A lot of people also give frozen bloodworms or whatnots occasionally.

Hope this helps.

8. Algonquin

A 'standby fishbowl' isn't a backup plan... if the Betta ends up being on his own, he'll need a Bare minimum 2.5 gallon tank, 5 gallon or larger is ideal. Be prepared!! :)

9. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

We have a couple tanks right now that have a betta in with corys and neons (black and green) and there are no issues. Granted, it depends 100% on the betta. The betta wont care about the corys what so ever. Even when Ive had aggressive bettas that had to be removed from tanks they left the corys alone.

10. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

A fish bowl isn't a good backup plan as they are generally too small for any fish to live in. I would try to get at least a 2.5 gallon tank

11. DuaneV

Yup. With a small sponge filter, heater and plants it can be a nice little home for a single betta. All our "trouble makers" are relegated to a 2.5. Here are a few of them: DSC_8837.JPG

12. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

What are your floating plants providing those fantastic roots? Water sprite? Dwarf water lettuce?

13. DuaneV

Dwarf water lettuce. I have to pull them out and pinch them off every so often because theyd take over the tank if I let them.

14. Mom2some

Darn it! I want DWL, but the stores near me don’t have it & I haven’t found an online source who has it with good reviews.

15. DuaneV

Too bad, its a SUPER easy plant. Ive had good luck using high light on them with literally no water changes or ferts. They are in a blackwater 40 gallon Amazon biotope we have and the roots will grow 20 inches and the plant 6 inches across. It doe NOT like turbulent water I have found. The more calm the surface is, the better.

16. Mom2some

Sigh. I will have to keep searching. I need to get on the Buy/Trade section of the website when I am not in my phone.

17. DuaneV

Thats where I originally got mine!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice