20gal Stocking Build

1. ChristaCat

ChristaCat Valued Member Member

Hi, I just upgraded to a 20gal!

In it right now is:
    1 male betta
    4 albino cory cats (soon to be 6)
    1 mystery snail (soon to be 2)

I was at first happy with how it is, everyone gets along very well! But, my boyfriend says he'd love some more color and I couldn't agree more! Its bare in the middle.

I told him to pick out fish he likes and he sent me a few, I was wondering which ones would work and how many of them we could have.

-Gourami (I know they're agressive but I've seen people do this sucessfully, Im wondering if its a good idea if I'm prepared to separate them?)
    -Discus
    -Cherry barb
    -Black molly
    -Black skirt tetra
    -Swordtails

Thanks in advance! received_1918862074854477.jpeg

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Gourami is iffy, but maybe a Dwarf would be okay.
    Discus get too big for a 20 and should be in groups.
    Cherry barb is a maybe, though it'd need to be at least 6.
    Mollys, skirted tetras and Swordtails will probably be attacked as they get about the size of the Betta and would be seen as competition. Beware of anything long finned as a Betta will view it as a rival to his own pretty fins.
    But when it comes to Betta tankmates, it all depends on whether or not the Betta will allow it. Some being more aggressive than others. I have neon tetras in with my Betta in a 20 gallon with no problems.

3. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Oh yeah I did forget to mention nu betta's temperment! He's never nipped at the fish he's been housed with but they werent too flashy either. I had him with harlequin rasboras once and he didnt mind them.

After more reading, I'm not sure I even wantto risk it with the gourami.

Ok, got it! At least 6 cherry barbs if we go with them.

So besides the betta maybe attacking, everything else would allow mollys, skirted tetras, or swordtails?

4. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

You're asking if the Betta wasn't a factor if the other fish would get along? If I read that right.
    Potentially. Sometimes Skirted Tetras get nipped at due to being slow moving with long fins. Swordtails and Mollies are fine together along with corys and snails.

5. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Oh and do you know how many of each is recommended? I'm assuming around 6 or so?

6. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

For which species or combination?

7. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Oh yes! Also like tank size and temperature.

So I read that skirted tetras would nip so I'm not sure about them with my betta. I also read mollys can be kept on their own so I might just get one and get another schooling fish.

If I wanted to keep 1 or 2 of these species, what would you suggest?

We're also considering neon tetras, but he said the ones listed were his favorites! But I like them

8. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

To set up another tank? Or with the betta? Sorry, I'm not understanding the question

9. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

No, with my current tank setup.

Which species in your opinion would be a good addition to the tank? Or two species?

10. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Gotcha. I would say cherry barbs. 5 or 6. Try to have more females than males. Males are typically the bright bright red and females are a little more yellow.

11. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

With a betta you don't have many options. Tbh I wouldn't recommend any of those species with a betta in the tank. My skirts SHREDDED my betta's fins the moment he was added :( I would do neon tetras or replace the betta with some of the species listed above (Exept discus..... they get too large)

12. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Is is because the betta will attack them or they will hurt the betta?

My betta Percy is very docile, but I'm also prepared to separate fish if needed.

I know now most of the ones listed won't work besides the cherry barbs, mollies or sword tails.

So how does this sound? Is this too much?

1 betta
    6 cory cats
    2 mystery snails
    1 molly
    6 cherry barbs OR neon tetra

13. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

The skirts attacked the betta, unfortunately.

The molly might still get attacked because it's the same size as the betta.

14. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

Personally I have a swordtail pair with my betta girls. There's no issues at all. My girls are extremely friendly and love everything.

It really all depends on your betta.

I agree definitely avoid long finned and overly bright fish but mine do not have an issue with the male or his sword.

15. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I'd do cardinal tetras instead of neons (they look almost identical Cardinals have a bit more red), they are more temp compatible with bettas. You may also want to consider harlequin rasbora, they are readily available and are super peaceful.

Platies, swordtails, mollies can all be bullies towards a betta, it will depend on the temperament of the fish.

Do not do gourami, they are in the same family as bettas and will fight with a betta (potentially to the death). As has already been mentioned, do not do discus they are a very difficult species to keep (you need to have live food cultures and if you get juvenilles you need to change the water every day) they are a very advanced fish.

16. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Ok thanks, Ill do cardinals instead!

So does this sound good?

1 betta
    6 cory cats
    2 mystery snails
    1 molly
    6 cherry barbs or cardinal tetras (depends on what is in my are)

Is this close to my limit or do I have room for more?

17. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Bumping

18. Mazeus

Leave out the Molly and it should be fine.

19. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Ok, do you have any other suggestions for something I could add? Something that can be by itself or maybe in a pair?

20. Mazeus

Not really. Your tank will be fully stocked with the cories, the schooling fish, the betta and the snails.