Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

20gal Long Stocking 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by buster71, Jan 26, 2019.

1. buster71New MemberMember

In my moderately planted 20 gallon long lives:

1 male Betta
    7 Harlequin Rasbora
    7 cardinal tetra
    4 Pygmy Corydoras
    1 Nerite snail
    Who knows how many MTS...

For filtration I have a Aqueon Quietflow 10 and a TopFin Power 10, both stuffed with Fluval Edge Foam and Biomax renewal kits. This setup (and 25% eeekly water change) seems to be more than enough to handle the current bioload, and tank inhabitants all get along peacefully. The tank still seems “empty” to me, and space seems not to be an issue, but then again it’s not me that’s living in there. Lol. I was thinking about either beefing up my school of Rasbora to 13 or adding 6-8 ember tetra. Could it be a problem?

Also, is it advisable to add an air stone?

Thanks for any advice. Picture of the tank:
    [​IMG]

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Wow, that is one beautiful tank you have going on!

I personally wouldn't have two schooling fish in a 20 gallon, it's best recommended to keep it to one school per 40 gallons, unless your fish are nano.
    The betta should be alright, as long as you aren't seeing any nipping or aggression between the betta and the schoolers, then it should be fine.

You could increase the number of cories that you have, and keeping to one large school would be ideal.

Airstones are not necessary, but will certainly be fine if you do choose to add one.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I personally would up the cardinal school, since their bright colouration is rather 'popping' and looks good. But harlequin school increase also wouldn't hurt.

(I do agree on adding some more pygmy cories, they do appreciate being in large schools)

4. buster71New MemberMember

Thanks for the advice!

I’m going to scratch the ember tetra idea to avoid adding another species of fish. Each of my current type of fish inhabit a different part of the tank so it’s working. So if anything, I’ll add to the schools I have.

The Pygmy Cory were originally 6 that I added to the tank 2 weeks ago. I lost 2 during the first 2 days. I can choose to replace those. Or...

Add to the cardinal school. But the cardinals spend most of the time hiding in the plants. If I add to the school, it might make them more apt to come out? Or...

I can add to the harlequins since they are the most visible, and thus, most visually appealing of my fish. Hmmm. I’ve got some choices I guess! Thanks again.

5. ColmCValued MemberMember

I would just add a few more of each fish :)

Tank looks great !

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@buster71, your TopFin Power 10 may be part of a recall campaign.

Check this   to determine if your model filter falls under the recall.

7. GrayRasValued MemberMember

I’d take Cardinals up to 14 and Cories up to 7. Then add 3 more nerites.

8. NickAuWell Known MemberMember

Hi
    Nice tank.
    You do not need an air stone because you have hang on back filters.

A suggestion?
    Separate the filters push them as far apart as you can

9. buster71New MemberMember

Yes, I had come across news of the recall last year and my filter is not part of the recall. Thanks!

10. buster71New MemberMember

I was trying to figure out the best positioning of the filters, but if I separate them, my betta has no "calm" upper areas of the tank to hang out. By centering them, he has quiet corners. I might reposition one of them away from the center of the tank which should still provide relief in half the tank.

11. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Try raising the later level so the discharge chutes touch the surface of the water, or not far above the surface.

That way water flowing out of the filter doesn't plunge into the tank.

I find it helps on my tanks.

12. Otocinclus13Valued MemberMember

I'm coming to the party a bit late, but if you're still interested in suggestions, I'd increase both schools by a few fish and maybe double your plants. The more plants (hiding places) you have, the more the cardinals will be willing to venture out into the tank. And having more plants will scoot your rasboras into a slightly more centralized area in the tank, so it will look fuller. I like planting around the back and sides personally- maybe some easy-to-grow jungle val along the back wall and a new amazon or ozelot sword for each corner? Or ludwigia or cabomba planted as single stems if you want to make a "wall" and planted with all the stems together if you want to make a "bush." Last but not least, try adding a background. I experimented with a black background by taping black construction paper to my tank (high tech, I know!) and all of a sudden my red eye tetras were all over the tank, when they had stayed in the top third for the two months I'd had them. The change was nearly instantaneous- they felt more secure and took over the tank!