20gal High Stocking Plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mmp4, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mmp4Valued MemberMember

Marineland Penguin power Filter 200, Planted Tank

How does this sound for a stocking plan?
    6 Mosquito Rasbora
    6 Microrasbora Kubotai
    5-10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    5 Scarlet Badis
    7 Cardinal Tetras
    1 Freshwater Clam
    And I was also planning on a centerpiece fish but Im not sure what yet. They all are so tiny so I don't think its overstocked but tell me if it would be and what would be better.

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Definitely too man fish!

Because you have 2 nano fish you could do 2 schooling fish but normally you should have 1 only. I would still do 1 as this tank is pretty small.

For the badis, your gonna want to do 1 male and 2 females. You have to know their gender otherwise if you get too many males and less females or just have a 1:1 ratio you will have some fighting. I wouldn't do 5

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would choose the mosquito rasboras, 6 Microrasbora Kubotai OR cardinal tetras and have 8-10 of them rather than having 3 schools of 6.
    I would drop the scarlet badis to 2 or 3.
    I've heard freshwater clams are very difficult to care for.
    Maybe a peacock goby or bolivian ram as a centrepiece?

So stocking could be
    8-10 Mosquito Rasbora, Microrasbora Kubotai or cardinals
    5-15 Red Cherry Shrimp
    6 Amano shrimp
    2-3 Scarlet Badis
    1 Peacock goby or bolivian ram
    Possibly 1 Freshwater Clam

4. mmp4Valued MemberMember

Ha! Thanks for the info, I definitely have a problem with wanting to take home almost every small fish I see. I foresee a bigger tank in my very near future.

5. mmp4Valued MemberMember

Thanks. Why are clams difficult?

6. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

They often die very soon after being added to the tank. It can be difficult to tell if their dead and when they die they can cause a large ammonia spike. They can be tricky to feed. They need pretty clean water but they also need tiny particles of food in the water to eat. They are filter feeders so flow is important. I don't have personal experience with tem but I recommend doing a lot of research before getting one.

7. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Do you have a revised plan? :)

8. mmp4Valued MemberMember

Well Im thinking...
    10 Green Neon Tetras
    10 Red Cherry Shrimp
    8 Mosquito Rasbora
    And maybe 3 endlers...possibly??

9. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

I'd personally do one school in a 20 gal high

10. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I think that would be good if you just had 1 school, so the green neons OR mosquito rasboras

11. mmp4Valued MemberMember

This is going to be tough, but then I'd probably go with the green neons. What size tank would I need if I wanted to do a community tank with 2-3 schools

12. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Probably 30-40 gallons minimum for 2 schools of 6-8 nano fish and 60 gallons minimum for 3 schools of 8-10 nano fish. I have 8 danios and 8 WCMM in my 63 gallon and it looks crowded with both schools.
    Fewer larger schools is much better than lots of small schools.

13. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

Just want to mention that kubotai like clear moving water, whereas brigittae like sluggish blackwater.
    Dario Dario prefer live food and can be hard to feed.

I would do
    10-12 boraras brigittae
    4-5 sparkling Gouramis
    8 Kuhli loaches

Dark substrate, lots of plants and cover.

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

You can do two schools of small nano fish in a 20 high, but only two of 8 each, IMO.

15. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

If you go with clams, try an Asian clam. I've had one for over a year and it has lived in a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, and it currently resides in a 20 gallon. It isn't very entertaining, though; if you get lucky you may see it filter a little water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice