20gal divided betta paradise!

1. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Here is an update on my 20gal divided betta paradise!....well I think it will look like fish paradise when it's done lol :)

Ok so this is in a span of about 3 weeks. I bought everything I assumed I needed to make this work:

-New T5HO light fixture (I think 48W?)
    -2 bags of flourite
    -DIY CO2 system (2, 2L bottles, bubble counter, hooked to intake of filter)
    -root tabs
    -flourish and flourish trace bottles

I am still far from being done but it's getting there! First picture is the day I planted my carpet plants (pygmy chain sword and staurogyne repens). Second is a week after (trimed the staurogyne repens and planted the tops back in the soil). The last pictures are from today. One of my bettas have finaly moved in :) (yes he is a goof and is diving in the grass, he craves attention)

Hope you enjoy! I want to add anubias barteri and jungle val on the rocky side, and add flame or java moss to the driftwood.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Lovely! The bettas will be very lucky! :)

3. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Thank you! And i've spent hours shaving down sharp edges and cutting off sharp branches from the piece of driftwood lol! I do not want my Chronos to have torn fins! Lol but he's more interested in snuggling himself in the grass instead of weaving through the roots so that's good I guess lol

image.jpg

4. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Very nice...the things we do for our finned friends☺

5. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I know right!? Lol I would have never thought i'd be this attached to those little guys! :)

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Looks good :)

I know what you are talking about with the wood. I have a whole giant box of manzanita and even though it has been sandblasted for me, I have been spending a lot of time with a file and a dremel making it betta safe.

Just wait until the ground cover is thicker, your betta will dive into it and you will be wondering if he is stuck. I have never had a betta actually get stuck in pygmy chain sword so don't worry about it too much. But I've seen them seemingly stuck turned upside down and backward in it and went to help them out only to have them dash out and look at me all irritated for having bothered them.

7. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Haha awwh that's cute! He really loves the pygmy chain sword! Like in the picture he spends hours snuggling himself in the grass! I wonder why they find that so interesting?

I can't wait till the plants get thicker! :) should I wait a while longer or is it ok to add more plants now?

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

You seem to have the carpet plants well started. I would start adding other plants, the more plants you have the easier is to keep the tank algae free.

9. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Carpet is coming along nicely.