20g With Bolivian Rams?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by nikislash, Apr 21, 2018.

1. nikislashNew MemberMember

Hi - long time lurker, first time poster.

I've just started to stock my tank, but I'm still trying to decide on my final stocking.

My current plan is:

8 Gold white cloud mountain minnows
    8 Glowlight rasbora
    8 Blue emperor tetra
    2 Bolivian rams

In terms of stocking level, AQ advisor says that's about right, but I was wondering:

Will 2 rams be ok in a 20 gallon, or would I be better to only get 1 and add a few corys instead?

Does that mix of schooling fish seem ok? I'm just splitting the numbers evenly to add up to the right stocking overall, but I'm not sure if some of those species would be happier with a couple less or more.

Any other potential issues I'm missing?

I have a few rocks that are creating some caves and hiding spaces, and also a few plants. I'll be adding more plants later too.

I've started with 5 of the rasbora, so those are the only thing on the list that are non-negotiable.

Thanks in advance for your advice

2. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Imo I would suggest getting rid of one of your schools of top third fish. Replace it with 4 pygmy cory or 1 bristlenose catfish and you're in the money. To answer your question, get a Male and 2 females and when they pair off give the third wheel to your local petstore

3. shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    The major issue I see in your stocking is the number of top/middle-dwelling schools. One school is best for a twenty gallon; that will also leave room for a shoal of corys which are bottom-dwelling.
    Something like this would work:
    8x glowlight rasboras
    8x panda corys
    2x Bolivian rams (male/female pair)

4. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Great suggestion! Another one or two platties and I'd be quite the aesthetic tank!

5. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

White clouds are cool water fish needing temps in the mid low 60's not compatible with the other fish.

6. nikislashNew MemberMember

I'd love a school of panda corys, but unfortunately they're $20 each from my lfs :greedy:, so if I go cories I'll have to stick with one of the cheaper varities.

Wouldn't 8 corys plus the 2 rams make the tank a bit bottom heavy?

That also seems to be a pretty low stocking level. If I only put 3 species in, should I also increase the number of rasboras?

7. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Cory's are 4+ schooling.

8. GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

Cory's prefer groups and are more active in groups of six or more

9. nikislashNew MemberMember

so maybe more like:

8 Glowlight rasbora
    8 Blue emperor tetra
    2 Bolivian rams (M/F pair)
    4-6 pygmy cory

10. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Forget the minnows... I think you're focusing too much on color. Get a suitable pleco or 4 dwarf cory. If it were me I'd get one school, the rams, pleco/bristle nose and a couple platties. If your worried about the aesthetic that many fish/movement will please you.

11. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

12. nikislashNew MemberMember

Thanks, but I live in New Zealand

13. shutterbug13Well Known MemberMember

Twenty dollars each! :eek: That's crazy! Bronze or false julii are other temp compatible options.
    The corys and rams should be fine but if you are worried you could drop the number of corys to six.
    You probably add two more rasboras or two male platys.
    Two top/middle-dwelling schools is still too many. Pygmy corys are also considered a middle-dwelling school, not bottom-dwelling.

14. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

What?! Just go net the smallest fish you can find and raise them.

15. nikislashNew MemberMember

No joke - this was my original plan

We have some beautiful native fish, and for a while, I was set on a tank of   or  , but they both need cooler water than I can provide, so I'd need a chiller, and there isn't much information available about keeping them in captivity. Also, there's no commercial trade so I would have to go out and catch them myself. I think in a few years once I have more experience and space for a bigger tank that's what I'll do.

16. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

It's funny how we get into this hobby lol. I LOVE freshwater fishing in the northeastern United states and my goal is to be able to raise brook trout which also need need chilled water (the 55°f range) to live comfortably. The also need a 200+ usgallon tank and lots of current. Someday lol

17. nikislashNew MemberMember

All of the fish here are crazy priced. Even the cheapest bronze/peppered corys are $9 each. I'm always jealous when I see US fish prices.

Thanks for the advice, my lfs was trying to tell me I could have 5 each of about 5 different mid/top level fish plus a few honey gouramis, and I knew that I shouldn't do that, but I didn't realise that even 2/3 schools could be a problem.

Are other kinds of corys also middle? or is that just pygmies? I definitely prefer corys over a bristle nose.

So in that case - I should be aiming for more like:

10 Glowlight rasbora
    6 (Pepper/bronze/pygmy) cory
    2 Bolivian ram

Does that also leave me with room to add a couple plattys/swordtails/guppies (these are all similar right?)

lol, sounds like we're in exactly the same boat. I think the bullies also prefer a fast current. Luckily they don't get as big as a trout, but still way too big for a 20 gallon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  18. Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Yes you could definitely add a couple more platties/minnows of mixed varieties as they do well on they're own.. I would go with 2 platties since they're bigger.

2 schools, the rams as centers, and a couple platties for good measure. Sounds right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  19. nikislashNew MemberMember

If I get a couple platties, is it ok to just get males? I don't know if I'm set up to deal with them breeding.
    For that matter - same question about the rams (but females for those)

20. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Idk if you can get these, but habrosus are just mini cories and would do well. You coild easily bump these up to 10 without problems.

If it was me:
    Pair of rams
    10 rasboras (just the glowlights)
    6 cories (just stick with bronze/albino...)
    3 male guppies (platies are a little bioload heavy... guppies or better yet, endlers may be more suitable!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice