20g Tank Work In Progress

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20g freshwater tank with: 1 Angelfish, 1 Hatchetfish, 4 Neon Tetras and 4 Cory Catfish. After having the tank for about a month I decided to start with live plants. I just added an Amazon Swords plant with a root tab underneath it. The water is 7.6PH, Nearly no Ammonia, 0 NO2 and NO3, 78-80F with lights on 10-12h daily. I am thinking of adding hornwort as a surface plant and dwarf water lillies and some more. In August, when I come back from vacation, I am going to change the fish completely to: 4-6 Cory Catfish, 1 Paradise Fish, and maybe a Pearl Gourami or school of Tetras. Any ideas for the plants and tankmates with Paradise Fish? Im not sure what light I have right now as it came with the tank, but I am buying a new light as shown in the picture. Do Paradise Fish jump? If so how can I find a mesh covering? I also have a small airstone behind the Amazon Swords plant as I am trying to cool the temp down a little bit. Also I am not sure if I am over oxidizing the tank as I know it can be lethal. How would I be able to check?

Last edited:

Nierums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20g freshwater tank with: 1 Angelfish, 1 Hatchetfish, 4 Neon Tetras and 4 Cory Catfish. After having the tank for about a month I decided to start with live plants. I just added an Amazon Swords plant with a root tab underneath it. The water is 7.6PH, Nearly no Ammonia, 0 NO2 and NO3, 78-80F with lights on 10-12h daily. I am thinking of adding hornwort as a surface plant and dwarf water lillies and some more. In August, when I come back from vacation, I am going to change the fish completely to: 4-6 Cory Catfish, 1 Paradise Fish, and maybe a Pearl Gourami or school of Tetras. Any ideas for the plants and tankmates with Paradise Fish? Im not sure what light I have right now as it came with the tank, but I am buying a new light as shown in the picture. Do Paradise Fish jump? If so how can I find a mesh covering? I also have a small airstone behind the Amazon Swords plant as I am trying to cool the temp down a little bit.
I just started myself and recently added water Sprite, Java fern, java moss, and anacharis, The javas should be put on a rock or drift wood, but all are good beginner plants, and the water Sprite is really beautiful and fast growing. I don't know about what fish are compatable with them, but I know they are really popular.

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just started myself and recently added water Sprite, Java fern, java moss, and anacharis, The javas should be put on a rock or drift wood, but all are good beginner plants, and the water Sprite is really beautiful and fast growing. I don't know about what fish are compatable with them, but I know they are really popular.
Alright I will do some research on them thank you

Nierums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All of those plants need liquid or water ferts, and don't need root tabs, I have only gravel in my tank so I need plants that take nutrients from the water. I also have the same light! Haa, tank looks good! Good luck

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All of those plants need liquid or water ferts, and don't need root tabs, I have only gravel in my tank so I need plants that take nutrients from the water. I also have the same light! Haa, tank looks good! Good luck
What do you put in the water for your plants?

Ruturaj

Valued Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a paradise fish with panda cories, otocinclus and white cloud mountain minnow. I keep my tank at 72. Paradise fish do jump, so keep your tank covered.

For plants, I have moneywort, aponogeton ulvaceus, anubias and Java moss wall.

For light I have stock lights from marina.

For fertilization, I would get seachem flourish (just flourish) and potassium. I learned a lot of things on YouTube from the water box.
I will look into the plants and a better lid thank you? Do you know of any way I can lower the water temp? Its always around 78-80 since I live in the desert.

Ruturaj

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will look into the plants and a better lid thank you? Do you know of any way I can lower the water temp? Its always around 78-80 since I live in the desert.
Sorry no idea. You can get other species that would like those temperatures.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom