20g tank with 2 filters, ok or not?

JustFishingAround
Ok i'm currently running a 30-60 tetra whisper power filter on my 20 gal long fish tank and it seems to be fine even though the filter is suppose to be good for up to 60gal tanks. Now the thing is i'm slowly starting another setup with a new 30gal tank I just got for a good price, it came with a penguin bio wheel 350 filter. Now I haven't bought all the gravel and substrate I plan on using yet so I can't begin to cycle it, thing I wanted to know was if I hooked up the 350 to my 20 gallon to help get the new filters and bio wheels some bacteria started for when i'm ready to switch it to my 30g, would having both the whisper and the 350 on a 20 gallon tank be bad or way to much filtration? Also would this plan to get the new filter some possible bacteria be a good idea or not?

I read somewhere you can speed up cycling if you use water from an already established tank(which my 20 gallon is).

Lucy
The water doesn't hold that much bacteria that it would seed a tank.
I would either run the two filters, I'm not sure there's such a thing as too much filtration, maybe it depends on what's in the tank. Someone with more knowledge of filtration can advise you on that.

Or, after you fill the tank with fresh treated water, cut a peice of the used filter material and put it in the new filter. You could also put some gravel from your established tank in a clean stocking and hang it in the new tank.
That should seed your new tank nicely.

JustFishingAround
Well the main thing is as long as running those 2 rather overkill filters on my 20 gallon isn't any kind of problem then all is well.
Thanks for the reply and feedback Lucy, I'll give the gravel/stocking thing a whirl once I have it all together.

Lucy
Your welcome, but as I said, I'm not real sure about my answer to running 2 filters.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Good luck and post pics soon.

COBettaCouple
You could put the filter media from your new filter in the current filter box or in a pantyhose sock (like the gravel).

JVzer0
It doesn't seem like having two filters running would be a big problem unless they created a strong enough current that it was somehow unhealthy for your fish. Can you adjust the flow on either of the filters? If so I would run them both and just turn the flow down. I'm not really an authority on this I'm really just speculating.

JustFishingAround
I can adjust the flow on the main one I use for that tank but the new one has no adjustments sadly. But so far the fish seem to be doing fine, I rigged it up lastnight and it's really only a temp plan until I have my substrate and new tank layout done.

Angela_96
I wouldn't put a penguin 350 on a 20 gallon that really would be too much. I have a penguin 350 on my 55 gallon along w/ a ehiem rated for a 60g. Now a penguin 150 would be more like it (rated for a 30g) over-rated for that tank however not way over-rated and then you still have another filter. For your 30 gallon tank you could do a penguin 200 and then another filter. I just wouldn't add anything else for the flow.

For the bacteria to get them cycled I would take the old filters and put the cartriges in the extra slots on the penguins. (that's what I did for my 55 and 36g tanks, I got a penguin 200 for my 36g tank, and I have an ehem ecco on its way for that tank also).

Angela_96
sorry for the double post, if you need more penguins the foster and smith website has a big sale on them right now.... all of my tanks got biowheels this month thanks to the sales that didn't already have one.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlockHead1981
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views