1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

20g Tank Finally Ready! How Many Shrimp Is The Right Amount Of Shrimp? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sokonomi, Jun 9, 2019.

1. SokonomiValued MemberMember

After 6 weeks, I finally have my 20 gallon showing green light for introducing life,
    so I thought id start with a bunch of blue velvet shrimp ( Neocardina Davidi ) first, to get cleanup started.

Only I'm having a tough time finding out just how many of them I should purchase.
    I found a breeder selling some nice younguns for 1 buck a piece, so no reason to hold back.
    So what's a good number to start, for a community tank?

Some info on the tank;
    Its a 20 gallon tall tank, its heated, there's CO2 and aeration, tons of plantlife.
    Substrate is half gravel on plant soil, and the other half fine grain sand, pebble border going across.
    It will most likely be stocked with kuhli loaches, rasbora espei, and the odd hillstream loach.

2. toomanyfishesValued MemberMember

If you keep multiple shrimp they will reproduce and population will grow quick. I'd get peaceful smaller fish as when the shrimp molt they are extremely vulnerable. I think the rasboras and kuhli would be good. Get 4 or more kuhlis so they are always out and about in daytime. Check aqadvisor with your plans

3. SokonomiValued MemberMember

I was planning on 8 kuhlis, as long as it doesn't get too crowded with the hillstream loach and the shrimp.
    There's tons of hiding spots, but I think if an adult shrimp can get to it, a kuhli probably can, too?

For now im planning on 15 shrimp. Would that work out ok?

4. toomanyfishesValued MemberMember

I know a few things about shrimp though i dont keep them, the kuhlis would be fince,but 2 equal 1 as they don't make a lot of waste

5. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Since it's a new tank, I'd introduce 10 first, then subsequently another 10 - 15 after a few weeks.

6. notBrandonValued MemberMember

What a grab, $1 for one. Usually they're like $3-4 per on major fish retailers and name companies. Regardless, I agree. Starting with around 8-10 will give you some confidence as to whether your tank can be a home for them. From your description, it seems like a perfect little 20 gallon tank, with live plants and friendly, community fish (except the hillstream loaches, I have no exp)

7. SokonomiValued MemberMember

When I got there he sweetened the deal and gave me 20 for 15 bucks! :jawdrop: Plus some neat little floater plants!
    There's a fishstore literally right next to my house, but they asked like 7 dollars a pop for these, so I passed on that.
    They are in my tank now, no (visual) casualties yet, after a day and a bit.
    Was a little worried about the copper in my trace element fertilizer, but all seems well.

I tossed in a nettle feedstick to see if they would come and eat, but they haven't touched it all day.
    I wonder if it is because there's plenty of diatom gubbins for them to forage on already?
    Is it normal for them to be a bit hidey? I only see about 4 or 5 at most at any given time.

Color is striking, for a 75 cent shrimp. ;)

20190610_160738.jpg