20g stocking

1. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I'm helping my husband stock his 20g standard tank.

The only for sure fish are 1 female Bolivian Ram and 1 female GBR.

Platties and guppies are ok, but I have some in a different tank. He wants to do something that I don't have.

I thought some cherry barbs would look nice or maybe a Honey or Dwarf Gourami. He wants it to be colorful. For the record, none of the stores around here have Endler's so that option is out. Corries are out because of the Rams (I don't feel there is a big enough footprint to add a happy school of corries).

He'd like to have a Golden Wonder Killifish. Anyone have experience with these?

Any other suggestions are welcome! Remember, the 2 rams are the only definites!

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Green fire tetras? How about micro rasboras, they seems to be more colorful than harlequins.

3. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I think the green fires would work. Do you know the scientific name of the micro rasboras?

4. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Wait, are the micro rasboras actually celestial pearl danios?

5. Awesome Initiate Member

There are many species of potential "Micro rasboras" which is not very well thought out name if you ask me. as there a many species commonly called micro rasboras, which are just small rasboras

The most commonly called ones under this name are

Boraras brigittae
    Boraras maculatus
    Boraras naevus
    Boraras merah

These species are all very fragile and I would recommend that you set up your aquarium and wait a minimum if around 6 months before proceeding with introducing them into your aquarium

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I am not posive on the latin names, but Harpua2002 had some chili and phoenix rasboras at one time that were beautiful looking. I have never heard of them being overly sensitve, but if the tank were established enough for a GBR, I think they would be no problem.

7. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

After looking into the micro rasboras listed by Awesome, I don't think they'd be the best option for the tank. Since it's his first tank, I don't want a tiny fish that is that sensitive. I'm not worried about the GBR because it's bigger and if it doesn't work in his tank I have many others that it can live in. I think I'd prefer something a little more hardy and a little bigger....Any more ideas?

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

im assuming a 20high by your concern of the footprint.

I would do the following:

your 2 rams.
    1-2 GW Killis
    5 Cardinal tetras
    5 Silver Tipped Tetras
    3-5 Nerites for algae control if needed
    If you feel the need a BN pleco could work as well, with dark substrate id go albino with a lighter id go regular.

That should put some nice color and a good amount of movement into the tank.

9. Awesome Initiate Member

Another potential mix would be
    3 Dario Darios - 1 male 2 females
    [​IMG]
    Or
    3 sparkling gouramis - 1 male 2 females
    [​IMG]
    Or
    Your current fish

And
    8 white cloud mountain minnows
    [​IMG]
    And
    8 kuhli loaches
    [​IMG]
    5-10 cherry shrimp
    [​IMG]
    Or
    1 dwarf orange crayfish
    [​IMG]

All photos from google images under the common name in the search box, exept for the last one, which was found in
    http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I would not do red cherry shrimp, the bolivian could easily eat them. And I worry that 2 rams may be a bit much for sparkling gouramis, they are very shy, they did ok with the GBR we had them with, but my bolivains tend to be bullies in my 75gal( I have 2 females).

Are there any tetras he partiularly likes , I suggested the green fires because they are colorful and only a little bigger than neons, which I see you already have.

11. Awesome Initiate Member

When I had suggested the mix of the fish, what I meant is that the OP could easily have those instead of the current fish. Also cherries are particularly small and can be eaten by the fish, but assuming the OP provides enough ground cover and keeps the bolivions well fed they could be a well mix, also considering the fact of how much cherries breed. Having a control would be a good idea to keep the population small and steady

12. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

He doesn't particularly like tetras but I think neons or cardinals would look nice in the tank. A BN, I think, would be too much for the tank. Maybe a pitbull would work better, but then he'd have to find one.

I don't think Shrimp will work. The GBR's are pigs.

Would the Killi's eat the tetras? And don't they get around 3-4"? Would that size be ok for the tank?

13. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

A few days ago my husband decided to go to the fish store and buy his fish. I warned him that he needed to stick to fish that were 2 inches or smaller and that tetras would need 6 for a good school. I couldn't go with, so I figured he'd come home with something....odd. He made good choices for the most part. There were a few flubs, but I think we can work with them. He just bought waaaay too much.

Here's what he came home with:
    1 male Pearl Gourami (it was actually a present for me and will go in my 30g)
    6 black neon tetras (so much for not wanting tetras!)
    1 bn pleco (a little large for his tank, but it can move if it gets too big)
    3 dwarf neon rainbowfish
    2 australian rainbowfish :;smack

Unfortunately, he went to a store that doesn't take returns. I told him the Australian Rainbowfish were way too big for his tank and needed a school. They moved to my 45g until we decide what to do with them. 1 of the dwarf rainbows died and 5 of the Neons died. Not a surprise based on the number of fish he added. In a week or so he'll grab some more dwarf rainbows to complete that school.

Oh, and he also came home with a Marineland Penguin 200 because it was "so much better" than his filter, lol

14. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like the fish store took him for all they could.....hope you can convince him next time to research first. Does that store return like product like the filter? Those filters IME are junk. Everyone I know personally that has one has issues with it or had to replace it within a year or so.

15. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

The filter is actually ok. I don't care for a couple things (no flow adjustment, huge size, noise) about them. I have an Emperor and I hate it, but it works and I can't justify replacing it. Apparently he was going to get some other fish too, but the clerk told him that was a lot of fish to put in the tank in 1 day and he should probably wait. Next time I'll be going with him.....But again, he's a beginner and he got snagged by the "oooh pretty" bug.

16. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

They work for like the first year...then they start going out. I loved mine the first year I had it then one thing after another would go wrong with it. I now have an aqueon in its place but my favorite HOB by far are aquaclears. My marineland filter is actually still to this day sitting right next to my tank and I curse at it on occasion. I keep it for the just in case off chance one of my others breaks I atleast have SOMETHING I can get running until I can pick up new parts or whatever.

17. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Funny you say that. I prefer Aqua Clear as well. Last night we were out and happened into the Petco by our house. He was looking at the Aqua Clears and said that his Penguin was too loud. They didn't have the size he was looking for tho.

Oh yeah, and we were out because one of his fish got ich and another one got pop eye. Super first tank experience!

18. cameronpalte Member Member

You said endler's are out of the picture, but there are stores where you can buy them online, and set them to be shipped to your house.