20g Stocking Suggestions Anyone?

1. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

I think i have room for a few more fish but I am not sure what to get.

I have a 20l with currently one Adult platy, five adolescent platy, a Dwarf Gourami, three assassin snails (which may be removed as they are no longer useful), five amano shrimp, plats (java moss, fern swords, annubias, ludwigia). Run of the mill. The temp is 78 the water is at 8.2ph.

I almost bought some guppy's today but I was thinking that was boring. The problem is that with such a small aquarium there are so many interesting fish that I can't get, but I am not sure what I can.

2. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

Moderator was on his game.. This post got moved to a new forum in less than a minute.

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

I love how endlers look and Cardinals do look incredible with a Dwarf Gourami :)

Let's see what the experts are going to say about your current stocking and how many you can have if you choose to have them :)

4. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

Well I'm not an expert but, if you plan on keeping this tank with all the fish/creatures without rehoming I would say your at the limit. I can't say you would be able to add any fish the size of a dwarf gourami or adult size platys. If you really want to add something maybe another shrimp or two? But, your filtrations gph and how much you water change will determine if you can add anything else. Even if you were high in gph dwarf gourami are semi aggressive and if it gets any more crowded then it is he might fight. I have a 75 gallon with 4 dwarf gouramis and even they in such a large tank chase each other a bit to let each other know to keep their space.

5. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

I've been going by aqadviser which says AquStockImage.png , i don't know if that is entirely accurate.

6. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

The platy might give birth to more, but I think they will mostly get eaten.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That stock is fine, though you can do about 8 kuhli loaches for the bottom, imo.
    You could also do a group of 8 black neon tetras.

8. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Platies are really active so I would say you are full for mid to top dwellers, they also will breed more and some of the babies will make it. I would add a school of 8 Albino Corydoras or 8 Kuhli Loaches.

9. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

I have a super rough substrate, the loaches and corydoras wouldn't like it. It was a big mistake to get it.

10. goplecos

Try putting about 1.5 cm of sand on top.

11. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

12. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

20627061_10213830044096087_6885168600319313302_o.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

Its about an inch think the front and four inches in the back. I've taken a bunch out after I added the carribsea to the original white gravel I had. I did't know what I was doing when I bought everything three months ago.

14. aquatickeeper

That looks fine for cories to me, IMO.

15. goplecos

I think that's fine. Rub around on your fingers and see if it pulls off any skin.

16. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

don't you think it would hurt their barbs and dampen their natural scavenging behaviors?

17. goplecos

Their Barbs are tougher than you would think. Mine were in a tank with sand until I switched over to gravel (so much easier to clean), and I found that there was no difference in their behavior.

18. OP
    OP
    fishes were wishes

heh. I've never cleaned the gravel.

19. aquatickeeper

I think you should. Just stick a gravel vac in there everytime during water changes.