20g stocking questions...

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am going to be getting a 20g tank soon and just wondering if these fish would be ok to put in this tank together and if the tank is big enough.

How does this sound?
2x Bristle-nose plecos
1x Male Betta (his is not aggressive at all)
2x dwarf Gouramis
1x bolivian Ram or ram cichlid

Thanks for any advice
Emily

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Emily,

I'm afraid that 2 Bristlenose Plecos may be 1 too many for a 20g tank. Personally I've never had success keeping more than 1 Pleco per tank. I know some others may have had success with more than one but I think 20g is too small for 2.

Bettas should be in a home by themselves, heated and filtered, 5 to 10g tank. These fish do NOT make a good community fish. The results I've seen on this forum with Bettas in a community tank has led to torn fins, stressed fish and even death. Below is a care guide for Bettas:
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

I'm afraid the same goes for most (but not all) Gouramis. I know I've seen mention of good success housing more than 1 Sparkling Gouramis. I can't remember if the dwarf gouramis fall into this category or not. We'll have to wait for more responses.

I wish I had better news for your stocking list. I'm sure you'll get more responses before too long.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent information above from Ken. Two Dwarf Gouramis will be fighting all the time in a 20gal. Even one would cause you problems if if has to share with a Male Betta. Dwarf Gouramis are very active & aggressive. You might be able to have one without the Betta.

Two Bristlenoses would also fight over territory in a 20gal tank. These fights can be rather severe as the fish uses it's pectoral spines as weapons. The fish can also get locked together needing you to remove them & 'unlock' them. Like Ken I have only ever had success with one Pleco per tank.

Bettas do not belong with other fish.

Perhaps a better stocking list would be:
1 x Dwarf Gourami
1 x Bristlenose
2 x Rams (must be 2 x females or compatible male & female)

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with both posters above. I'm pretty sure the betta and the gourami would fight as well as the gouramis fighting eachother.

If you're set on the betta being in the tank maybe divide it up and get some more bettas

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i agree with aqgirl lauren about the corys. i have 4 in my 20gH. they are so funny to watch. always sniffing around for something lol.

if you're worried about algae, maybe the reason you want the pleco? idk. but get a couple nerite snails. they are very fun to watch and eat all kinds of algae, and cannot reproduce in freshwater.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nerite snails will leave eggs that will not hatch, but are somewhat unslghtly. even one snail will lay eggs, but they are excellent algae eaters. you could go with a few ottocinclus, who also eat algae. also, my german blue ram really damaged my dwarf gourami, which i ended up having to give away, but has been tolerant of my pearl gourami. they arnt as colourful, but have a dark backround with contrasting pearl like spots, a blueish sheen to their back, and an orange brest. they have a subtle beauty compared to the dwarf gourami.

Bristlenosed plecos are smaller than the commen veriety, but are still very messy, but are also very interesting looking. to me, they are like pug dogs. they are so ugly they are cute

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes i know nerites lay eggs. mine have. but nothing happens. but they aren't that unsightly.....

the ottos are cute, but they are somewhat sensitive and need a more established tank.

so i guess if the op needs some sort of algae eater, i recommend a couple nerites

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could still get 1 bristlenose pleco. I just got my today and they are a great fish. I had to practically beat my kids to get them to quit watching it and go to bed. It, I don't know how to tell what sex it is yet, is attacking my volcano right now.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have already got the bristle-nose and the betta and so not want to get rid of them but i dont know what to do with the betta if i cant put him in the community tank... He is with some guppies at the moment and seems fine. Is their any other fish that i can put in with him that wont nip at his fins? will the Bolivian ram harm him?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/71611-20g-cycling-questions.html

Hello Emily,

In the link above to your other thread you are uncertain about the nitrogen cycle. So I'm a bit concerned as to if your tank is cycled or not. I think it may be a good idea to merge these threads so other members don't get confused. I'll wait for your response a few minutes on the merging threads.

If your tank isn't cycled then that needs to be the first issue to take care of. If your tank isn't cycled then daily water changes with Prime or Amquel + to detox ammonia is going to be necessary until your tank cycles with readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no the tank that my fish are in now hasnt been cycled as the pet store told me that it would be fine just to add the fish to the tank, Now i know that that is not true. I have been doing daily 30% water changes and i am going to buy some prime. But when i get the 20g (hopefully soon) i will make sure that it is properly cycled.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok...I understand now.

Yes, keep up with the daily water changes. Get the Prime or Amquel + as soon as you can so that the remaining ammonia will be detoxed for 24 hours until it's time for your next water change. It will get easier once your tank cycles so hang in there!

My opinion is there are no good tank mates for Bettas. Things may be ok for now with the guppies but more than likely issues will arise and possibly even death.

Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so how does this sound?
2x Bolivian Rams
1x bristlenose pleco
4x dwarf cory's
3x Guppies
oh and possibly some kuhli loaches?

Would the tank be overstocked? and can they be kept together without any fights?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom