20g Stocking Ideas for Beginner?

MisterSnuffles

So Im interested in a community tank and this will be my second tank.
I definitely want corydoras and I think I like False Julii the most.
I kinda want a schooling fish so maybe Cardinal tetras or pork-chop rasboras.
For cleanup crew, im thinking 2 or 3 amanos and possibly Otocinclus.
As for a centerpiece fish, im torn. I like honey gouramis but conflicted because of space, and whether or not i should get 1 or 3 for social benefit.
A betta is always an option but a risky decision because of aggression. And i was thinking of a bolivian ram but heard they can eat neons.
Any ideas? Are most choices ok for a beginner like me?

RedOnion

So Im interested in a community tank and this will be my second tank. I definitely want corydoras and I think I like False Julii the most. I kinda want a schooling fish so maybe Cardinal tetras or pork-chop rasboras. For cleanup crew, im thinking 2 or 3 amanos and possibly Otocinclus. As for a centerpiece fish, im torn. I like honey gouramis but conflicted because of space, and whether or not i should get 1 or 3 for social benefit. A betta is always an option but a risky decision because of aggression. And i was thinking of a bolivian ram but heard they can eat neons. Any ideas? Are most choices ok for a beginner like me?
6 corydoras, 8 rasboras or ember tetras. 3 honey gouramis. A couple amano or neocaridinia shrimp. Peaceful combination.

Otos need lots of algae or they will starve would recc the shrimp.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Most are okay, because the rarer (Less mentioned) ones, are generally the harder ones, the only common ones really to avoid are discus and GBR, and badly bred out fish. I would not do cardinals as they are running into the same problems the neons were. A good centerpiece could be warm water killis with your current decision (Or coldwater with a hillstream loach, 8 wcmm, and 8 coldwater cories). Other centerpiece options are sparkling gourami, you could do a female betta instead to reduce aggression, some SA dwarf cichlid like nannacara (If you want more options for dwarf cichlids, I'd @ Tclare or macz)

If you want an easier one than the otto, you could do a hillstream loach, me & others have had success with them in warm water.

MisterSnuffles

6 corydoras, 8 rasboras or ember tetras. 3 honey gouramis. A couple amano or neocaridinia shrimp. Peaceful combination.

Ooh thats a good combo. Thanks for the suggestion!
Most are okay, because the rarer (Less mentioned) ones, are generally the harder ones, the only common ones really to avoid are discus and GBR, and badly bred out fish. I would not do cardinals as they are running into the same problems the neons were. A good centerpiece could be warm water killis with your current decision (Or coldwater with a hillstream loach, 8 wcmm, and 8 coldwater cories). Other centerpiece options are sparkling gourami, you could do a female betta instead to reduce aggression, some SA dwarf cichlid like nannacara (If you want more options for dwarf cichlids, I'd @ Tclare or macz)

If you want an easier one than the otto, you could do a hillstream loach, me (And aquarium co op and girl talks fish) have had success with them in warm water.
I loke the hillstream and the idea of a cichlid. Loving the wcmm. Thanks for the idea!
Only thing is that i live in Southern California so it gets hot. Even with ac it averages 77-81 tops.

Im having success with an amano in my other tank. Ive always wanted to keep cherry shrimp or blue dream, but im afraid the lambchop rasboras or honey gouramis might eat them. I know its a gamble when it comes to neo’s and fish but i just want to make sure it’ll be ok. Maybe buy them in bulk? Or add them first? I know i should jam fish in there as soon as a tank is cyled. Something like 1 fish a week? But that sounds waaay to slow.

Gera956

So Im interested in a community tank and this will be my second tank.
I definitely want corydoras and I think I like False Julii the most.
I kinda want a schooling fish so maybe Cardinal tetras or pork-chop rasboras.
For cleanup crew, im thinking 2 or 3 amanos and possibly Otocinclus.
As for a centerpiece fish, im torn. I like honey gouramis but conflicted because of space, and whether or not i should get 1 or 3 for social benefit.
A betta is always an option but a risky decision because of aggression. And i was thinking of a bolivian ram but heard they can eat neons.
Any ideas? Are most choices ok for a beginner like me?
Pork chop rasboras are amazing. I have kept them since iv started my aquarium. They have different colors on them like harley quinn from the comics. Which is real cool. And they are also very hardy fish.

MisterSnuffles

Pork chop rasboras are amazing. I have kept them since iv started my aquarium. They have different colors on them like harley quinn from the comics. Which is real cool. And they are also very hardy fish.
Awesome thanks. Yeah they seem like awesome little guys.

JLAquatics

Awesome thanks. Yeah they seem like awesome little guys.
They sure are! They are currently my favorite schooling fish at this point, so I implore you to give these fellas a try. The dominant males also develop a really deep coppery orange color when kept in optimal conditions with plenty of high quality foods and live plants unlike traditional Harlequin Rasboras. I also house them with Neon Tetras, Honey Gouramis, and Neocardinia Shrimp in my 29 gallon planted community and they are completely peaceful as well.

0729211740b_2.jpg
Here is a pic of some of my full grown specimens at 1-1.5 inches long each.

MisterSnuffles

They sure are! They are currently my favorite schooling fish at this point, so I implore you to give these fellas a try. They develop a really deep coppery orange color when kept in optimal conditions with plenty of high quality foods and live plants. I also house them with Neon Tetras, Honey Gouramis, and Neocardinia Shrimp in my 29 gallon and they are completely peaceful as well.

Wow that orange is awesome. Dare i say better than a neon! Definitely getting them now. But cant see them until after their qurantine :(

JLAquatics

Wow that orange is awesome. Dare i say better than a neon! Definitely getting them now. But cant see them until after their qurantine :(
When you go and purchase them at first, they will most likely be juveniles and very small (.5-.75 inches long). They will most likely not have a ton of orange yet as the bulk of their brilliant color comes later with age and good health. I would try to get a larger group above 8 to see their best displays. Don't forget to share some pictures of your new Rasboras! ;)

MisterSnuffles

When you go and purchase them at first, they will most likely be juveniles and very small (.5-.75 inches long). They will most likely not have a ton of orange yet as the bulk of their brilliant color comes later with age and good health. I would try to get a larger group above 8 to see their best displays. Don't forget to share some pictures of your new Rasboras! ;)
Thanks for the advice! I’ll be sure to post pics once my tank is set up and ready.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
SamP2671
Replies
Views