20g stock

Makalah

Hello,
I am looking into going from a 20g freshwater tank to a saltwater tank. I am starting my research and know I want at least one common clownfish. It will be a while before I set this up as I need to do more research and make sure I understand everything before I attempt to add any fish but I would like to know how many other fish can I add to the tank with the clownfish?
Thanks!

Ghelfaire

Not many, unlike freshwater aquariums saltwater aquariums need to be a bit under stocked.
You can do a couple of cardinal fish with him. I like the pajama variety, I think they stay smaller than the bengal ones but don't quote me on that.
Liveaquaria.com is a good website to help with stocking. Their numbers are pretty reliable, I reccomend clicking on beginner fish and going from there.

Upvote 0

Makalah

Not many, unlike freshwater aquariums saltwater aquariums need to be a bit under stocked.
You can do a couple of cardinal fish with him. I like the pajama variety, I think they stay smaller than the bengal ones but don't quote me on that.
Liveaquaria.com is a good website to help with stocking. Their numbers are pretty reliable, I reccomend clicking on beginner fish and going from there.
Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Are we talking a standard 20 gallon or a 20 gallon Long? In either case I would say 4 small fish would be a very heavily stocked saltwater tank. That said a 20 Long opens up some additional stocking options for the type of fish you can put in there. You definitely want to do research into though (which it sounds like you will be doing) and figure out what is compatible with the clownfish. Clownfish seem cute but they can be pretty nasty and territorial once established regardless of the variety so I do recommend adding them last and putting them in with fish that can stick up for themselves. I would avoid super timid fish (ie Firefish/Dartfish) with them. I agree with the post above that Live Aquaria is a good basic research tool (ie minimum tank size, temperament, level of care required and whether or not the fish is safe with Corals or Inverts aka Reef Safe).

Upvote 0

Makalah

Are we talking a standard 20 gallon or a 20 gallon Long? In either case I would say 4 small fish would be a very heavily stocked saltwater tank. That said a 20 Long opens up some additional stocking options for the type of fish you can put in there. You definitely want to do research into though (which it sounds like you will be doing) and figure out what is compatible with the clownfish. Clownfish seem cute but they can be pretty nasty and territorial once established regardless of the variety so I do recommend adding them last and putting them in with fish that can stick up for themselves. I would avoid super timid fish (ie Firefish/Dartfish) with them.
Thank you. It is a standard tank and I was thinking with the above suggestion I would try a single clownfish with two pajama cardinals.
I just wanted to get an idea of what fish I would stock before so I could research the right type of landscape before I got too far into setup. Yea, I have a lot of research to do yet but now I have a starting point. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Thank you. It is a standard tank and I was thinking with the above suggestion I would try a single clownfish with two pajama cardinals.
I just wanted to get an idea of what fish I would stock before so I could research the right type of landscape before I got too far into setup. Yea, I have a lot of research to do yet but now I have a starting point. Thank you!

I would go single on the PJ Cardinal. The dynamics for mixing multiple fish of the same variety can be tricky in small tanks (barring a pair of clownfish). I have a single PJ Cardinal in my 90 gallon and looked at getting another but taking a look at how they behaved with each other at my LFS was enough to convince me that was a bad idea. PJs are interesting though as they basically never sleep (mine gets the tank to himself at night) and just sort of hang around. They do get a lot bigger than people think though. Check out this monster my LFS had in last year. For reference that is about a 4-5 inch Yellow Tang and about a 6 inch Blue Tang:

Upvote 0

Makalah

I would go single on the PJ Cardinal. The dynamics for mixing multiple fish of the same variety can be tricky in small tanks (barring a pair of clownfish). I have a single PJ Cardinal in my 90 gallon and looked at getting another but taking a look at how they behaved with each other at my LFS was enough to convince me that was a bad idea. PJs are interesting though as they basically never sleep (mine gets the tank to himself at night) and just sort of hang around. They do get a lot bigger than people think though. Check out this monster my LFS had in last year. For reference that is about a 4-5 inch Yellow Tang and about a 6 inch Blue Tang:
Oh wow that is big! So you think I should stick with one clownfish and one PJ? I knew it would be either 2-3 fish anyway so it doesn’t shock me lol. I’ll probably move to a larger tank in the future but right now the husband doesn’t want this tank to “go to waste”

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

I would say you could add one more fish. Some choices would be the following:

Smaller Gobies (ie Clown Goby, Court Jester aka Rainsford Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby)
Small Blenny (ie Tailspot, Barnacle)
Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse (can be a bit spendy and harder to find but the Pink Streaked is well worth it)

You could do the likes of a Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo as they form a cool symbiotic relationship (Watchman Goby serves as a lookout, pistol shrimp serves as defense).

Upvote 0

Makalah

I would say you could add one more fish. Some choices would be the following:

Smaller Gobies (ie Clown Goby, Court Jester aka Rainsford Goby, Yellow Watchman Goby)
Small Blenny (ie Tailspot, Barnacle)
Possum or Pink Streaked Wrasse (can be a bit spendy and harder to find but the Pink Streaked is well worth it)

You could do the likes of a Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo as they form a cool symbiotic relationship (Watchman Goby serves as a lookout, pistol shrimp serves as defense).
Wonderful! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Makalah

I have another question, so sorry! But, I might have a lead on a 30g tank that is already aquascaped. If I go with that tank rather than my 20g should I keep the one clownfish, one pj cardinal, one yellow watchman goby and add a tiger pistol shrimp and keep it at that?

Upvote 0

Makalah

Thank you for the advice guys! I’ve decided to stick with my 20g for now and stock one clownfish, on PJ cardinal, and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo.
Now onto my equipment research lol.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
  • Solved