20g setup

Makalah
Hi guys!
I’m converting my 20g freshwater tank into a saltwater tank. I am still doing my research but have decided to go with a FOWLR setup with one clownfish, one PJ cardinal, one yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp combo. I have a HOB filter and plan on getting a protein skimmer and surface skimmer my question is, with the HOB trickle filter do I need a wave maker? I don’t plan on any corals right now and if I did I’d move to a bigger tank. I just feel like with the wave maker that would be a lot of equipment in a 20g tank.

Jesterrace
Skip the Skimmer as it's not necessary for a smaller tank with a lighter bioload and only the more expensive HOB ones will do you much good anyways (ie Eshoppes, Reef Octopus). A wavemaker is definitely a must. Even without corals you still need underwater flow/turnover to keep your biofilter alive if nothing else. Go magnetic backed with your wavemaker/powerhead since suction cups wear out quickly in a saltwater tank.

Makalah
Jesterrace said:
Skip the Skimmer as it's not necessary for a smaller tank with a lighter bioload and only the more expensive HOB ones will do you much good anyways (ie Eshoppes, Reef Octopus). A wavemaker is definitely a must. Even without corals you still need underwater flow/turnover to keep your biofilter alive if nothing else. Go magnetic backed with your wavemaker/powerhead since suction cups wear out quickly in a saltwater tank.
Great! Thank you!

Makalah
Jesterrace said:
I would go with one of these as it allows you to dial in the flow for your tank as it has 10 different speed settings:

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-OW-10-...eywords=Jebao+wavemaker&qid=1610411541&sr=8-3
Oh, ok! Thanks so much!
Jesterrace said:
I would go with one of these as it allows you to dial in the flow for your tank as it has 10 different speed settings:

https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-OW-10-...eywords=Jebao+wavemaker&qid=1610411541&sr=8-3
Do you think I need a surface skimmer or no?

Jesterrace
Makalah said:
Oh, ok! Thanks so much!

Do you think I need a surface skimmer or no?
Not really. They don't do a whole lot in a marine tank anyways.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom