20g - replacement for bolivian ram

Chris1212

We lost our bolivian ram today. Not sure why but deteriorated over the last week and a half. All of the other tank mates are doing great but we'll watch them closely the next few weeks so not in a super rush to add to the tank. Curious if there are any suggestions:

20g, fully cycled, fake plants, half sand, half smooth gravel substrate.
78 degrees
0 ammonia, 0, nitrites, 10ish nitrates (we have some in the tap so not an exact)
8pH
180GH

Currently 3 male Platies, 1 male swordtail, 5 glo tetras, 1 mystery snail, 3 Amano shrimp

How about a small school of cories? Aqadviser says no but I know that site defaults to light stocking.

Any other suggestions for relatively easy to find tank mates?

BigManAquatics

Rams typically prefer warmer than 78. Like closer to 82+. Saw a couple of rams at the store today...but the only thing i have already that like those temps as well are bettas...which sounded like a match made in Hades.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not looking to add another bolivian. Also, my understanding was they actually prefer water cooler than other rams so mid to high 70s.

I'm just looking for ideas for something to add to our tank eventually.

Upvote 0

jake37

Not bolivian ram.... 78 is fine for bolivian.
--
An interesting replacement would be apistogramma. I'd suggest three borelli (m/f/f) or hongosli (m/f) but there are others pick one you find appealing that does not require special care.
--

Rams typically prefer warmer than 78. Like closer to 82+. Saw a couple of rams at the store today...but the only thing i have already that like those temps as well are bettas...which sounded like a match made in Hades.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

8 ph don’t get anything else, swordtails get 5”

The 8ph killed the ram, I’d return the glo tetras and let the platies breed

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not looking to add another bolivian. Also, my understanding was they actually prefer water cooler than other rams so mid to high 70s.

I'm just looking for ideas for something to add to our tank eventually.
I get them all confused at times....not so mich looks though...jist everything else lol

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Thanks Noah. Not returning the glofish, they are what my daughters wanted most and they are doing great in the tank. The single swordtail and three Platies are all male so no breeding (and I'm not interested in baby fish).

I thought apistos preferred lower ph?? To that point, I thought most fish, especially if buying at a local store, can adapt to things like ph and water hardness.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

No. Lower ph means like a ph 6 high ph is ph 8 your water is way to alkaline for South American chiclids, get bogwood and leaf litter then turn the temperature down to 75 platies and glotetra and swordtails don’t like hot water. And the livebearers and the tetra aren’t comparable water peramaters wise, swordtails and platies need hard water where tetras need very soft acidic water

Upvote 0

jake37

Many tank raised fishes are adaptable - though your current ph. 8 is a bit extreme but i suspect it would be fine for the hardier apisto. Wild fishes is a different matter. While they might be able to adjust to a different ph with careful care it is harder as they spent their entire life in a different environment.
-
Ultimately the question will partially depend on the fish source. If mail ordering it is more likely to take a lot more effort to adjust it; but if you can find one raised locally in similar water it should be a non-issue.
-
Just remember that many of the fishes you have live in a different environment in the wild ('cept of course glow fishes which are human engineered).

Thanks Noah. Not returning the glofish, they are what my daughters wanted most and they are doing great in the tank. The single swordtail and three Platies are all male so no breeding (and I'm not interested in baby fish).

I thought apistos preferred lower ph?? To that point, I thought most fish, especially if buying at a local store, can adapt to things like ph and water hardness.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Bolivians can go from 72-82....

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to consider. Our platies, swordtail, and skirt tetras are doing great in our water and temp so I'm not worried about them, certainly not going to go down the road of trying to change water hardness/softness or pH.

Upvote 0

NofishB4

I have a peacock gudgeon and 3 honey gourami in my 38G. Either of those could work as a single centerpiece or as a pair. They are relatively new to my tank (1 month for gudgeon and 2 months for gouramis) but are doing well in my 8 ph. The honeys are definitely easier to feed but the gudgeon is a more unique shape.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

I originally wanted honey gourami instead of the bolivian but all I could find were the dwarf gourami and I read plenty about their predisposition for a specific disease.

The peacock Gudgeon seems really cool and something that might work. I liked how the bolivian patrolled the bottom third of the tank (without just swimming on the substrate) and the videos I've seen of the Gudgeon looks like they do something similar. Not sure I have ever seen them at the big pet stores but I'll check around.

Upvote 0

Dippiedee

I originally wanted honey gourami instead of the bolivian but all I could find were the dwarf gourami and I read plenty about their predisposition for a specific disease.

Just this last week I've seen 3 different members post pictures of dwarf gourami that appear to have dwarf gourami disease. Seems far too common, just for that reason I wouldn't recommend them.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

The peacock Gudgeon seems really cool and something that might work. I liked how the bolivian patrolled the bottom third of the tank (without just swimming on the substrate) and the videos I've seen of the Gudgeon looks like they do something similar. Not sure I have ever seen them at the big pet stores but I'll check around.
I got a pair of peacock gudgeons from petco a year ago. One died because I messed something up, but the other is thriving and is doing great. Not sure they’ll patrol around the tank. They’re very shy fish and it could take them a few weeks to start coming out.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views