20g more stocking questions...

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Emily, that stocking list would probably be ok bio-load wise, however the Rams, Corys, Plec and Kuhli Loaches are all bottom dwellers,which could cause problems in a 20gal. The Rams could well bully the Corys and Loaches, and the tank may look a little bottom heavy.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rams are bottom dwellers... really? I don't want aggression in the tank but I really want Bolivian rams, I thought they were meant to be peaceful. What about a couple of German rams instead?

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
+1 with Nick. They're peaceful indeed but when you have a lot of bottom dwellers occupy the space on the bottom, they'd probably be fighting for space. So that's why it's recommended to get fish that occupy the top, middle and bottom spaces of the tank. Best of luck!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Think of your tank as a 3-story apartment building. If everybody lives on the first floor, things get a little crowded and frustrating and somebody's Ming vase is definitely going to hit the floor.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
any other suggestions then? oh and thanks now you explained it that way i get it

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're dead set on the Rams, then why not consider something like 2 Rams, 1 BN Plec, 3 Guppies and 6 Neons?

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sounds good but instead of the neons could i get some glofish or any other fish that is not a bottom dweller and compatible with the other fish in the tank?

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thankyou. One last question, instead of getting both the loaches and the cories could i get just one instead or would that still be to many fish hanging around the bottom of the tank?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Think of your tank as a 3-story apartment building. If everybody lives on the first floor, things get a little crowded and frustrating and somebody's Ming vase is definitely going to hit the floor.
That is the best analogy regarding swimming space and territory that I've ever read in my life

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had a ram and six cories in my 20 long tank at one point and there were no quarrels at all. I've also had a BN pleco and I saw that he stayed to himself all the time. I think you could throw in 6 cories and it would be just fine.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The dwarf corys have a tendancy to die off one by one if they are not kept in large enugh numbers.....most accounts say a minimum of 10.

I would do GBRs (bolivians are larger), cherry barbs and the glofish.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My boyfriend has that tank, the 510 It's a pretty good tank too, easy to take of care of maintance-wise.

It's more of a tall tank. I think the 20 gallon longs are 30 inches long which is about 76cm and quite shallow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom