20g Long Tank Cycling Advice

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have just filled and started a 20gL tank but I'm not entirely certain that what I'm doing is correct. I will post pictures of the things I'm adding to the water.
I can provide additional pics of anything if needed. I have a betta in there right now because he had nowhere else to go due to a small cheap aquarium breaking. I tested the water and it was hardly safe for him but I figure he can stay in there as long as the ammonia doesn't get too high. My filter is a tetra whisper 20-40 internal filter. Can someone point me in the right direction for getting this tank cycled? I will add a heater once I go out and buy one. I plan to maybe keep that male betta in there along with mystery snails.

Attachments

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are your current water parameters?

I've never used the bottle on the left so I have no info there.

The API tap water conditioner and seachem prime are both dechlorinators but prime is better. I would use this during cycling to detoxify ammonia and nitrites. It's questionable if the API brand does this successfully.
Quick start is your bacteria in a bottle. I've used this in the past but ultimately seachems stability is better as well.

However, since you already have betta in the tank, are you able to pick up a bottle of TSS+? This should complete your cycle in 2 weeks rather than the 4-6+ weeks from quick start or stability.

Did you move the filter over from the broken tank? Was that tank cycled? You may be expecting a minicycle if that is the case.

A nirite snail is probably a better option. Some bettas will nip at mystery snail antennas.

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh wow. I didn’t see the notifications for replies on this post until now! I thought no one saw it haha. Well thank you guys. I tested for everything in the water the other day but stupidly didn’t record the results. I will retest when I get home tonight. The ammonia was certainly present and it wasn’t high. I believe the nitrites were pretty low and the nitrates were almost 0. pH was 7.2? 7.6? Around there. Not ideal but it’s a work in progress. Thanks y’all I’ll retest and try to find those things. I put in some of the filter media from the bettas old tank. Hopefully that kept some of the beneficial bacteria alive.

So I wasn’t able to test my water tonight due to me finding a betta in need of a rescue. I did however pick up some TSS+ ! Oh and my betta has been housed with mystery snails before with no issue luckily!!!

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maeh22 said:
So I wasn’t able to test my water tonight due to me finding a betta in need of a rescue. I did however pick up some TSS+ ! Oh and my betta has been housed with mystery snails before with no issue luckily!!!
Do you have a different tank for that betta?

Yay! Make sure you follow the directions to a T! Do a 50% pwc then wait 24 hrs. Put in the entire bottle of TSS+ and do not do any water changes for the next 14 days. Then retest during day 14 and if cycled do another 50% pwc

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes. He didn’t make it through the night unfortunately but I’m so thankful I was able to show him what love feels like.

Thank you!!!! I will do that. I got the 3(?I think. Not the 8) oz bottle. I put the whole thing in? It’s 100mL and I believe it said to do 50mL for 20 gallons.

Here he was. I wasn’t confident that he’d make it through the night.

Attachments

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Should I pick up seachem stability?

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m gonna move the betta out of my uncycled tank and keep him in the new quarantine tank. Do I do the same thing? Or should I keep him in the tank?

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep him in and cycle him in whatever tank he will stay in. If you don't have that tank no sense in moving him. Just move the filter over when you get the tank.

I'm sorry about your other rescue

Yes. People suggest to use the entire bottle even if its more than you need. It can't hurt.

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright. Gonna do 50% water change after I test water and record all of the levels then I will dump in the whole bottle of that stuff.

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maeh22 said:
Alright. Gonna do 50% water change after I test water and record all of the levels then I will dump in the whole bottle of that stuff.
Make sure you wait 24 hours after using the dechlorinator

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today marks day three of my cycle. On Wednesday I tested my water parameters and I wrote them down. I changed 50% of the water and then I added in the whole bottle of TSS+ can’t wait for the cycle to be done and for my snails to be able to go into that tank.

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m heavily considering adding mystery snails to my tank to help it cycle. Any reason why not?

OP
maeh22

maeh22

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Day 4 is over. It’s weird having to turn off the filter each time I do anything in the tank to avoid the sand getting sucked up. So far I’ve had no problems!!!

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maeh22 said:
I’m heavily considering adding mystery snails to my tank to help it cycle. Any reason why not?
Yes. Mystery snails are extremely sensitive and should not be in a cycling tank. Also they don't create a large enough bioload fast enough

New Threads