20g Long Tank Big Enough For Two Axolotls.

Basicfgts

Reaction score
So I have a 20G long tank and I’m currently housing one axolotl but I was actually wanting to get another here soon and I was wondering if the 20G long would be big enough to house two fully grown axolotls(eventually full grown.) my current axolotl isn’t that big but I’m not 100% of the measurements.
IMG_0354.JPG

Lagertha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the minimum size for one adult is 10 gallons but bigger is always better.

I think you’d be ok with two in there but I’ve never kept them so I’m not 100% sure.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lagertha said:
I think the minimum size for one adult is 10 gallons but bigger is always better.

I think you’d be ok with two in there but I’ve never kept them so I’m not 100% sure.
Actually a single adult needs a 20 long because they get so large.
I think a 36" is the minimum for two, but maybe you could make it work.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about just get another 20 gallon long and another axolotl.

Lagertha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Actually a single adult needs a 20 long because they get so large.
I think a 36" is the minimum for two, but maybe you could make it work.
Maybe this website is outdated then or simply incorrect.

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A standard 10 gallon is 12 inches long, and according to your website, it doesn't give them room to turn, and they're larger than half the length. That's cruel.

Lagertha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
A standard 10 gallon is 12 inches long, and according to your website, it doesn't give them room to turn, and they're larger than half the length. That's cruel.
My original post... “bigger is always better.”

I wasn’t advocating for that website, love. I simply quoted what I read there then linked the site.

People on this forum tend to be awfully problematic.

Betta10522

Reaction score
You should get a 30 gallon for two, but you can get 20 gallon as well, I'd suggest a 30 though because if they don't end up getting along at the start there is more room to hide. I think it's better to just have one axolotl though.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lagertha said:
My original post... “bigger is always better.”

I wasn’t advocating for that website, love. I simply quoted what I read there then linked the site.

People on this forum tend to be awfully problematic.
Since you defended your opinion with a website, sounds a whole lot like you agree with them, and they agree with you
And saying "bigger is always better" is just a cheap safety net, IMO, since you stated your opinion as something else.
I'm just saying, if it is over half the length of the aquarium and several inches too large to turn around, that's not suitable.

Lagertha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Since you defended your opinion with a website, sounds a whole lot like you agree with them, and they agree with you
And saying "bigger is always better" is just a cheap safety net, IMO, since you stated your opinion as something else.
I'm just saying, if it is over half the length of the aquarium and several inches too large to turn around, that's not suitable.
It wasn’t MY opinion. It’s the WEBSITES opinion.

If you want my opinion I don’t think certain species should be kept as pets and axolotls are one of them.

“Bigger is always better” is not a safety net either, that’s my motto in keeping all animals that require enclosures.

I DID NOT SAY IT WAS SUITABLE I SIMPLY QUOTED THE Website. If you have a problem with it take it up with the people who published the site!!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lagertha said:

If you want my opinion I don’t think certain species should be kept as pets and axolotls are one of them.

“Bigger is always better” is not a safety net either, that’s my motto in keeping all animals that require enclosures.

I DID NOT SAY IT WAS SUITABLE I SIMPLY QUOTED THE Website. If you have a problem with it take it up with the people who published the site!!
If you want to continue this conversation, do you mind pm-ing me? I don't want to clog up the thread, and it looks like neither of us are going to change our opinions anytime soon.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lagertha said:

And do no attempt to patronise me again with your immature winky faces. Do you understand that?
Hi, I feel that we got off on the wrong foot. I'll explain how it appeared to me:
In the first post, you gave your opinion on the tank size for one axolotl. I had a different opinion, so you then posted with a website to back you up.
To me, it appeared you had an opinion, then used a different website to further your opinion.
From what you are now saying, I assume you read the website, said what they said, then quoted it in your next post without actually having an opinion of your own.
I don't want to have a pointless argument, and since I didn't realize Members can't PM, let's agree to shake hands and end this here

New Threads