20g long stocking questions

marmaaa

So I just got a 20g long today, its mediumly(not a word lol) planted w amazons, anacharis, and some moneywort. I have sand on one half and the other half I have FloraMax. I would really want some small cories, 2 schools of neon, and some shrimp but I don't wanna overstock it too much. Would that be doable? Also my 10g just finished cycling 2-3 days ago and I have it in a sponge and some biomax, can i take the song out to give my 20 a boost?

Best Answer - View RomeoOscar's answer

julien0101

U can give ur 10 gallon sponge for ur 20 gallon. It will help start the 20 gallon but u,will still need to do the typical cycling although in your case it would be much faster.

6 cories and 12 neon would be okay for a 20 gallon.

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

julien0101 said:
U can give ur 10 gallon sponge for ur 20 gallon. It will help start the 20 gallon but u,will still need to do the typical cycling although in your case it would be much faster.

6 cories and 12 neon would be okay for a 20 gallon.
Okay thank you! Is it possible I could do 8 embers, 8 neons?

RomeoOscar

marmaaa said:
Okay thank you! Is it possible I could do 8 embers, 8 neons?
Yep entirely possible, I had over 50 fish in my 20 long, but was densely planted and good filtration system going on.

If you don't plan on doing a seriously planted tank, don't add too many fish, those schools would work however, both ember and neon tetras inhabit the middle level of the tank, you want something on the surface level, middle level and bottom, this way you can have more fish without it becoming awkward to anyone.

Top level I've always got live bearers (guppy, platty and Molly) but becareful with ph it takes some adjusting to be compatible with tetras (ph 7)

Middle can have either neons or embers both would get a little weird because of the lack of the lack of space.. Rummy nose tetras are middle level too and they're pretty cool.

On the bottom level can have corydoras (at least 6) maybe pigmy corys? Birstle nose plecos are also bottom dwellers and can live in your tank. Or you could have a Kribensis pair, they're fun to watch..

The options are endless just make sure everyone require similar parameters :)

In order to skip the cycle you need a good ammount of cycled filter media to put in the new filter, you can also add water rocks, substrate, anything from an established tank and it'll speed up the cycle. Can also use seachem stability to help (beneficial bacteria in a bottle)

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar said:
Yep entirely possible, I had over 50 fish in my 20 long, but was densely planted and good filtration system going on.

If you don't plan on doing a seriously planted tank, don't add too many fish, those schools would work however, both ember and neon tetras inhabit the middle level of the tank, you want something on the surface level, middle level and bottom, this way you can have more fish without it becoming awkward to anyone.

Top level I've always got live bearers (guppy, platty and Molly) but becareful with ph it takes some adjusting to be compatible with tetras (ph 7)

Middle can have either neons or embers both would get a little weird because of the lack of the lack of space.. Rummy nose tetras are middle level too and they're pretty cool.

On the bottom level can have corydoras (at least 6) maybe pigmy corys? Birstle nose plecos are also bottom dwellers and can live in your tank. Or you could have a Kribensis pair, they're fun to watch..

The options are endless just make sure everyone require similar parameters :)o
WOw thank you so much for all this info! I personally wanted 2 schools just for the variety but Rummy nose tetras look so cool and now I want a school of them lol. Could I keep a school of 10 with 6 pygmy cories and some shrimp?

RomeoOscar

marmaaa said:
WOw thank you so much for all this info! I personally wanted 2 schools just for the variety but Rummy nose tetras look so cool and now I want a school of them lol. Could I keep a school of 10 with 6 pygmy cories and some shrimp?
Yeah rummy noses are awesome, I had 5 of them and 9 neons in my 20 long. Sometimes they bumped on the neons because of my mistake of adding same level species. They all now live in a 50g.

Rummy nose tetras are really cool and they school tight, one of the best schooling fish I've ever seen. Make sure to have clear middle level (without much decorations) so they can swim freely. They absolutely love to dart around the tank.

And yeah you can go with 10 rummy noses and 6 pigmy corys, you can even add more corys since they're the pigmy kind they don't grow much. Given you have enough filtration of course. But for all this fish your tank needs to be properly cycled, either instant cycle or whatever, everything needs to be in the right conditions. Don't let that make you give up because after they get established, they're quite hardy.

Can also do some small school of rasboras, if you add some live bushy plants they'll inhabit that part of the tank which is pretty cool. Mostly the shy rasbotas like emerald or galaxy. The others will go anywhere. Naevus rasboras go mid-top level and they grow less than an inch, can do like 6 of them without any harm whatsoever.

And yeah you can have shrimp, can go with neocaridinas, red cherry or whatever, they are pretty small. Make sure to have some hiding spots for them so they can breed. Rocks, driftwood, plants, moss.
Also very sensitive beings like all of the ones I mentioned. But don't worry. Test the water, do whatever kind of cycle and you'll be alright once amónia and nitrites reach constant 0

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar said:
Yeah rummy noses are awesome, I had 5 of them and 9 neons in my 20 long. Sometimes they bumped on the neons because of my mistake of adding same level species. They all now live in a 50g.

Rummy nose tetras are really cool and they school tight, one of the best schooling fish I've ever seen. Make sure to have clear middle level (without much decorations) so they can swim freely. They absolutely love to dart around the tank.

And yeah you can go with 10 rummy noses and 6 pigmy corys, you can even add more corys since they're the pigmy kind they don't grow much. Given you have enough filtration of course. But for all this fish your tank needs to be properly cycled, either instant cycle or whatever, everything needs to be in the right conditions. Don't let that make you give up because after they get established, they're quite hardy.

Can also do some small school of rasboras, if you add some live bushy plants they'll inhabit that part of the tank which is pretty cool. Mostly the shy rasbotas like emerald or galaxy. The others will go anywhere. Naevus rasboras go mid-top level and they grow less than an inch, can do like 6 of them without any harm whatsoever.
Again WOW, thank you sososo much, this has been so helpful! I may rearrange the tank then and leave more room in the middle now lol! Rn i have a Marineland bio 100 filter on rn and its been doing well so far, so we'll see. I am planning on transferring some media so hopefully it will boost it, but I am in no rush! I love the rasboras idea, I may do that as well!

As of now here is what I am thinking, thanks to your help!

10 Rummy Noses
6 Pygmy Cories
6 Rasboras (not sure which kind)
and some neocaridina shrimp
Maybe one snail?

RomeoOscar

marmaaa said:
Again WOW, thank you sososo much, this has been so helpful! I may rearrange the tank then and leave more room in the middle now lol! Rn i have a Marineland bio 100 filter on rn and its been doing well so far, so we'll see. I am planning on transferring some media so hopefully it will boost it, but I am in no rush! I love the rasboras idea, I may do that as well!

As of now here is what I am thinking, thanks to your help!

10 Rummy Noses
6 Pygmy Cories
6 Rasboras (not sure which kind)
and some neocaridina shrimp
Maybe one snail?
I don't know the filter, looked it up, and as far as bacteria goes, it should be enough space to put enough ceramics for bacteria. Though it's not nearly good enough filter overall, you need almost 3 times the gallons per hour. If I read correctly that's about 300 liters per hour?
Can work, just vacuum the bottom more often... Since the current is weak a lot of debris will stay at the bottom.. Add some lava rocks to boost bio filtration. You should be alright. These rocks are cheap and provide good surface are for bacteria.

And yeah that stocking idea sounds pretty good. The rasboras that do what I mentioned are the emerald ones. Kinda hard to find at least here in Portugal... The Galaxy rasboras do that too but they're less shy so they'll bump on the other fish more often.

But it seems pretty decent and shouldn't be much work for your filter. Make sure you add all of these fish very slowly, after your cycle is complete (you have to test the water) add like one school at a time..let the filter adapt. Make sure to drip aclimate all the Fish, as I said, very sensitive at the beginning. If they survive the first month they become quite hardy.

As for snails, you can have small "pest" snails they are good for any ecosystem they'll eat all dying matter. Leaves, food, algae, everything. There are ramshorn, bladder, Malaysian trumpet...theyll breed easy so don't overfeed. If you want to keep just one snail, mistery snails are quite large and very active. There are also several kinds of nerite snails, very cool, active and won't breed in Freshwater (but it will lay eggs that won't hatch, everywhere)

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar said:
I don't know the filter, looked it up, and as far as bacteria goes, it should be enough space to put enough ceramics for bacteria. Though it's not nearly good enough filter overall, you need almost 3 times the gallons per hour. If I read correctly that's about 300 liters per hour?
Can work, just vacuum the bottom more often... Since the current is weak a lot of debris will stay at the bottom.. Add some lava rocks to boost bio filtration. You should be alright. These rocks are cheap and provide good surface are for bacteria.

And yeah that stocking idea sounds pretty good. The rasboras that do what I mentioned are the emerald ones. Kinda hard to find at least here in Portugal... The Galaxy rasboras do that too but they're less shy so they'll bump on the other fish more often.

But it seems pretty decent and shouldn't be much work for your filter. Make sure you add all of these fish very slowly, after your cycle is complete (you have to test the water) add like one school at a time..let the filter adapt. Make sure to drip aclimate all the Fish, as I said, very sensitive at the beginning. If they survive the first month they become quite hardy.

As for snails, you can have small "pest" snails they are good for any ecosystem they'll eat all dying matter. Leaves, food, algae, everything. There are ramshorn, bladder, Malaysian trumpet...theyll breed easy so don't overfeed. If you want to keep just one snail, mistery snails are quite large and very active. There are also several kinds of nerite snails, very cool, active and won't breed in Freshwater (but it will lay eggs that won't hatch, everywhere)
Okay great, I actually have 2 HUGE lava rocks in there that I got super cheap and I broke them into smaller ones so I could stack them a little. The filter says it runs 100GPH but idrk if it does or not. I drip acclimate all my fish for at least one hour before I put them in, so that should be good! I will for sure add them slowly, how long in between should I preferably wait in between? Is there a specific order that would be best for the fish to be put in the tank?

RomeoOscar

marmaaa said:
Okay great, I actually have 2 HUGE lava rocks in there that I got super cheap and I broke them into smaller ones so I could stack them a little. The filter says it runs 100GPH but idrk if it does or not. I drip acclimate all my fish for at least one hour before I put them in, so that should be good! I will for sure add them slowly, how long in between should I preferably wait in between? Is there a specific order that would be best for the fish to be put in the tank?
I mean your filter is not the worst, but it's not ideal. That's my opinion anyway. It'll do the job. Put those lava rocks in, the shrimp will thank you for the hiding spots. And should provide good enough filtration. Don't really *need* to go buy a new filter. As long as you keep up with the maintenance it should work just fine.

As for the the time between fish I'd say a week? Maybe less? There's no specific time just don't add all in the same day, wait at least a couple days. I'd go first with the shrimp and snail. Then the corys, then the rummy noses and finally the rasboras. It really doesn't matter as long as ammonia is 0 and nitrite 0, constantly as well it should be alright either way

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar said:
I mean your filter is not the worst, but it's not ideal. That's my opinion anyway. It'll do the job. Put those lava rocks in, the shrimp will thank you for the hiding spots. And should provide good enough filtration. Don't really *need* to go buy a new filter. As long as you keep up with the maintenance it should work just fine.

As for the the time between fish I'd say a week? Maybe less? There's no specific time just don't add all in the same day, wait at least a couple days. I'd go first with the shrimp and snail. Then the corys, then the rummy noses and finally the rasboras. It really doesn't matter as long as ammonia is 0 and nitrite 0 as well it should be alright either way
The filter will most likely be temporary until I can get a better one but for now it will suffice. Thank you for the order on the fish. I will probably just follow that and maybe have 5 days or so in between each other so ammonia doesn't spike up. Lava rocks are already in, and they're a decent amount so hopefully, beneficial bacteria will grow on it well!

RomeoOscar

Awesome keep us updated! Sounds like a lovely tank would love to see some pictures when it's ready ;)
Good luck and if you need anything just ask!

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar said:
Awesome keep us updated! Sounds like a lovely tank would love to see some pictures when it's ready ;)
Good luck and if you need anything just ask!
Will update here once I finish the scape, again thank you so much for all the help! I will for sure ask some more questions later when they pop up in my head lol

OP
marmaaa

marmaaa

RomeoOscar
Hi! I have a quick question, instead of pygmy cories could I have some otos instead? Maybe 4 of them?

New Threads