20g Long Shrimp Planted

1. Skyy2112 Member Member

Help me out. I have decided to change my 20g H to a 20g L.

What light to use?!

Hopefully you have seen a bit of my current setup. I have two dozen shrimp, baby shrimp, many different types of plants.

I currently liquid fert/CO2. I have Kh/Gh test kit on the way.

I run a Aquaclear 50, and a Sponge Filter (40).
    Fluval heater,

I currently run gravel. I may entertain the idea of adding potting mix. But would gravel over that. Eventually sand,... Not this tank.

My biggest question. What light for my tank? I need a high light for plants. And I would like the idea of a sunset/sunrise etc to move lighting from off to on etc, would like moonlight.

Help me out? Thanks.

2. Geoff Well Known Member Member

What about Finnex Planted+ 24/7? I think it does the sunrise/sunset thing?

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

I've looked into that, have you any experience with this light?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you want high light unless you're injecting CO2, otherwise you'll be overrun with algae.

The 24/7 should put you in low and medium light (depending on what setting it is on), and you'll still have to be vigilant to keep algae away without CO2.

5. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Not that one. I have a Finnex Stingray on my 10g low-light planted shrimp tank. I've only just started it last week. I've seen the Planted+ 24/7 mentioned favorably on here and other forums, though.

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

I wouldnt mind some algae in my tank. My shrimp would be happy. Is the 24/7 different than the finexx planted+ 24/7???

The Finexx is so far the only thing I have seen that I even would consider.

7. Geoff Well Known Member Member

The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 is the only 24/7 that I was talking about.

8. Skyy2112 Member Member

9. No Fishing Member Member

I have the 24/7 and I like it but I don't use the various settings unless I have company over and want the tank to look extra special.
    The ability to set your own colored mode by adjusting the various colors is cool. I think the 24/7 on max setting would be getting close to the high light side of the spectrum around 9-10inch of depth (I'm guessing you'll have around 2-3 inches of substrate)

But as TexasDomer said you will get an algea bloom if your not dosing co2 with high light. Especially if you use the 24/7 setting because the lights are on from 6am-9pm which is just too much light.