20G long FOWLR stocking Question 

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is just an idea if I ever convert my 20G long to a SW (FOWLR & sand bottom). Nothing would be happening anytime in the near future. This is mainly in regards to the stocking. It consists of:

fish:
*ocellaris clown (1)
*firefish (1)
*banggai cardinal (1)
*yellow watchman goby (1) w/pistol shrimp

inverts:
*scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp (1)
*emerald green crab (1)
*dwarf hermits (3-4 mixed - mainly red)
*snails (rough #s) - nassarius (5), cerith (5), trochus (5)

I don't know what a good number/mix of those snails would be. Also any thoughts on bumblebee snails or a peppermint shrimp?

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would slow down on the stocking. Baggai Cardinal's need more space, 30-40 gallons I believe, and prefer groups of 3+.

For a tank of 20 gallons I would just do the clownfish and the watchman goby.

Ryanr or someone with more saltwater experience might have a better opinion on this.

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh, I thought the striped cardinals like groups and the banggai did not due to aggression. I just threw all those out there cause those are the "nano-style" fish I like. This could also be a larger tank, even include a sump, etc, just now thinking of what could be done with a 20long.

Jake98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I believe a single banggai cardinal will be fine in a 20L as they can be aggressive to other banggai cardinalfish. Everything looks fine in my opinion, add the fish slowly though, you are pushing it a bit in a 20 gallon, however because of the footprint 20L have you should be just fine.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, the Bangaii would do better in a 30G, but in a 20 long, might be ok.

The clown is fine, as is the firefish.

Next you need to make a choice - pistol shrimp or other inverts. I don't like the idea of a pistol shrimp in a reef setup, I'd rather have other inverts.

Here's why:

Too, I think your numbers are too high on the snails - I think you'd struggle to keep them fed, and the emerald crab is known to attack snails and other inverts.

MJDuti

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i knew the potential of pistol shrimp (as well as my favorite, peacock mantis shrimp), but didn't know they were as aggressive as them. Maybe I don't need the goby/shrimp combo if this is the case. I've also heard many mixed things on the emerald crabs.

what would you suggest for the snails? Maybe just a couple of each?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go
3 x nassa (they need a sandbed)
3 x cerith

I don't like hermits personally, but maybe 2 would be ok - keep in mind, the hermits may kill other snails (or each other) if they can't find a suitable shell as they grow.

Peppermint shrimp are awesome, especially for aiptasia control. Maybe 2.

You'd have to massively over-feed this setup to ensure there is enough food for the inverts - mussels, prawn/shrimp, pellets etc. which means you'll want a decent skimmer running.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom