20g Long Fish Tank

1. HannahH

HannahH Valued Member Member

Hey all,

I will be upgrading my 10g split betta tank to a 20g triple divided betta tank.

I have the tank, the lid and the 2 dividers. Now I will be getting a whisper air pump and 33 sponge filters soon.

I am looking at this sponge/airpump set kit but with the 3 way level
    Tetra Whisper Air Pump Bundle

and this sponge filter bundle
    Small sponge filters ideal for Betta fish tanks

I am looking at this substrate as the tank will be planted
    Amazon.com : CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black : Aquarium Decor Gravel : Pet Supplies

and this light
    Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies

Now onto questions:
    Will the light I get be the 30" as the tank is 30" long?
    Is the substrate good quality? I've read some good reviews.
    Will have I have to replace the substrate monthly? Yearly?
    How is the best way to get it cycled quickly.
    I will be doing a fish-less cycle and putting the plants in prior to cycle, is that OK?
    What is a good stand/furniture that looks nice. Something that can hold a 20g. This is the living room it'll go in- it's going where the 10g is.

20479706_10213011926309337_824207931631309901_n.jpg

2. KittyFish62

KittyFish62 Well Known Member Member

Questions:
    1. You can get a much much cheaper light on ebay that has brackets, like this one

48LEDs 0.5W LED Light Full Spectrum for 24"- 36"Aquarium Fish Tank Plant FOWLR | eBay

3. You won't have to replace the substrate, but you will have to clean it. Also be aware that the fertilizer in that substrate won't last forever, so eventually you will have to supply it more.

5. Yes, in fact, the plants will probably help the cycle

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really recommend NOT getting whisper anything. The whisper air pumps break very easily and don't have any good reviews. It's better to get like an aquaculture air pump from walmart, as those come with air valves or the top fin ones from petsmart. Also, did you make a mistake and say "33 sponge filters"? For now, i'm going to pretend that you said 3.
    You can get much cheaper sponge filters from ebay, though i can't guarantee that they'll perform as good.

3. OP
    OP
    HannahH

HannahH Valued Member Member

Sorry yeah meant 3 sponge filters.

Will a light like that be good for plant growth?

4. Baconater

Baconater New Member Member

I have 4 whisper air filters which have been running for 6 months to a year. They are quiet and I have not had any problems with them so far.

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Seems like a lot of people have success with the light KittyFish recommended. You could also consider a Finnex Stingray if you prefer. The Fugeray is going to be overkill on a low-tech 20 long.

6. KittyFish62

KittyFish62 Well Known Member Member

It won't help it AS much as maybe the higher watt ones, but if you keep your tank at a slightly higher temperature and use fertilizer they should grow just as well.

From the reviews I read from walmart, I'd rather not use the pumps. I don't really trust tetra because they make such crappy products.

7. Baconater

Baconater New Member Member

Fair enough. I use their air pumps because they are relatively inexpensive, quiet and I personally haven't had problems with them.

As far as lights go, you could look into the Chihiros series that are available on Ebay. Here is a link. I don't have personal experience with them but there is lots of information available on this and other forums. Generally, people seem eager to recommend them as a less expensive LED option. I have several different types of light including Nicrew, Beamswork, and the Finnex Stingray. The Finnex is my favorite, however the blue light nighttime setting and the available programmable timer for the beamswork are nice.

I have a simple black metal stand that holds my 55gallon tank. I modified the bottom shelf so that it could support a 20L tank as well. The tank is only about 2-3 inches off the ground and was a pain in the ass to clean and change water until I got a pump to help. What I wish I had, and may look into for the future, is something that looks nice and has cabinets underneath.