20g long first saltwater

1. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Before ripping into how bad this tank is going to look please refer to this thread:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/saltwater-beginners/228420-craigslist-saltwater-setup-help.html
    It gives an outline of where this tank came from.

Stats:
    20g long glass aquarium
    ? lbs of live rock
    Plain old aquarium sand
    Hydor Koralia nano 240+425
    Aqueon 10 HOB filter
    Finnex Fugeray light
    Fluval M heater

Stock: (still learning what some of these are)
    Yellowtail Damsel
    Clownfish varient?
    Chromis
    Scooter blenny
    Sand sifting star
    Skunk cleaner shrimp
    Urchin that i believe is a pencil urchin
    Emerald crab
    Red leg hermit (I think, it has red legs)
    I think I've seen another hermit also
    Snails that have long trunks that bury themselves and leave the trunk sticking above the sand
    Some kind of round shell snail that i have to keep flipping back over when i find it on its back

Plans for future:
    Add more live rock, possibly add more sand but not sure yet.
    Remove the HOB once i get more live rock, I'm don't want to remove it in case there is a lot of BB in the filter and cause the tank to crash.
    Maybe just maybe build an overflow box or system and make a 10g sump, its unlikely but maybe some day.

The pictures:
    DSCN0504.JPG DSCN0506.JPG DSCN0507.JPG

Can somebody confirm that on the right most rock is an apitasia, I think that's what it is, it's the only one i see anywhere in the tank.

Any comments, criticism, suggestions and advice is very welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks for checking out my thread.

2. SecretiveFish Member Member

That does look like aiptasia. Aiptasia is the dandelion of saltwater tanks... kill it while there is only one.

If/when you build a sump is when I would remove the HOB filter, but until then I would leave it. Yes it has beneficial bacteria, but then you also have a place to use carbon and/or phosban.

With that many fish, you should look into getting a protein skimmer or will instead need to be doing lots of water changes. To keep the inverts alive, you really need to watch your nitrates (try to keep them in the 10ppm range) Also, is the fish you think is a scooter blenny the one under the rock in the first picture? I am not sure it is... Do you have a better picture?

The red leg hermit crab is probably a scarlet leg hermit crab. These guys are great additions to the cleanup crew and tend to not kill snails.

The Snail that keeps falling is probably an Astrea (maybe Margarita, would need a picture). My favorite snails are banded trochus because they can right themselves without assistance most of the time. They are more expensive than Astrea or Margaritas, but if you consider how many snails die because they fall and get stuck it comes out pretty close. Your long trunk snails are probably Nassarius Snails. These guys will eat left over food and are quite fun to watch appear out of the sand when food is added to the tank.

The sand sifting star will die of starvation. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2857+572&pcatid=572 If you have a LFS, I would take it there. If you are not planning corals, I would get a chocolate chip starfish instead. I want to get another one of these when I finally have a FOWLR! They are quite interesting and so easy to feed.

3. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I have the star listed, I don't have an LFS near me unfortunately.

As for the HOB, I was thinking about running a bag of carbon in there but reading into it it seemed like although it removes some of the stuff you don't want in the tank, it also removed a lot of stuff you do want. Also read it could potentially leak phosphates into the water depending on what kind of carbon it is.

I too was not sure if it was a scooter blenny either, but my wife found many pictures of brightly colored ones rather than the brown looking ones. I could get a better pic, he likes to be the center of attention and stares me down when I'm by the tank, he sits there using his pectoral fins (I think) as a kind of tripod.

4. SecretiveFish Member Member

We have carbon running in all our salt and freshwater systems and would suggest that you do... Carbon removes the yellowing agents from the water as well as potential toxins that are given off by corals. I have not read anywhere that carbon removes beneficial bacteria or anything else. We use lignite and bituminous carbon.

Another picture of that fish would be great! I am very curious what he looks like.

5. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Not removal of beneficial bacteria, but more like trace elements, which in a planted tank are important so I don't run any carbon in my freshwater tanks and haven't for many years.
    I will see if i can snap a pic and get it uploaded here in the next few minutes.

I thought he was some kind of Goby.

6. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

DSCN0515.JPG DSCN0516.JPG DSCN0517.JPG

7. SecretiveFish Member Member

That is a very cool fish! I have not seen one of those before.

He definitely is not a scooter blenny but am not sure exactly what he is. I would lean toward a basslet, like the lantern ones Serranus species, but I can't find an exact match.

The saltwater section here is not super active, unlike the freshwater. Have you tried posting a picture of this guy on reefcentral to get an id?

8. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Nope I haven't. You are more than welcome to use the photo and find out what he is.

9. SecretiveFish Member Member

He is a Red Spotted Sand Perch. I knew someone over there would know! They ID some crazy fish.

10. Slug Well Known Member Member

I was going to say Sandhopper Blenny but the submission didn't go through. I'd black out the tank while you don't have any corals to kill that algae. That's an inherited mess.

11. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I wondered if i could just black it out like i would a freshwater, will that kill the apitasia too?
    SecretiveFish thanks for the Id

12. Slug Well Known Member Member

Probably not, aptasisa are quite resistant and need to be more targeted to be killed. Is it just that one that you can see right now? Injecting it with Joe's Juice, Kalk Paste, etc will kill it though it may not make sense to buy it for just one. I've heard people using boiling water or lemon juice and doing the same thing, injecting it. I wouldn't use a lot of lemon juice though as this could affect pH in a small tank. Though for one aptasia you will probably be fine.

If you happen to have a really high powered green or blue laser you can combust them, quite cool.

And yes, a blackout really shouldn't harm anything you have currently that I can tell.

13. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Inject it with lemon juice or kill it with a laser beam, man this saltwater stuff is weird. Yes its just the one that I can see. I assume they can move around because this one was in one spot, then it moved a few inches and then again to where it is now.

14. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I know the saltwater section is pretty dead on here but just as an update I broke this tank down.
    The damsel died.
    Sold the sand perch, starfish and chromis.
    Donated the pencil urchin.

Instead I now have a 10g nano reef that so far is going great. The clown, cleaner shrimp and the CUC went into the 10g. I have only have mushroom coral thus far, but I believe that qualifies as a reef right?

Future plans for the tank include a goby shrimp pair and soft corals. A fire fish may also work its way in but no idea if it will, I'd rather not push the stocking too far.