20g Long Centerpiece Replacement?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by BroIncarnate, Apr 10, 2018.

1. B

BroIncarnate Valued Member Member

Been a long time since I've posted here but I'm back! I lost my 4th Dwarf Gourami in 3 years and I just can't keep these guys alive-- I hear they are really inbred these days and catch diseases fairly easy-- I was thinking about changing to another center-piece fish and was wondering what other options there are besides Honey Gourami, etc-- Maybe a pair of German blue rams? I I keep the tank at about 72 degrees and have 2 AquaClear 50g filters (one on each side of the tank) and moderately planted tank-- Here is my stock:

8 Panda Corydoras
    6 Neon Tetra
    2 Cobra Guppies (male)
    6 Otocinclus Catfish
    1 Nerite Snail
    1 Golden Inca Snail

I keep the tank at about 72 degrees--

Thanks!!!!

2. benno99999

benno99999 New Member Member

I would recommend one male killifish, but it would probably eat your small fish. If not a DG, I would either go with one or two German Blues or one or two angelfish.

3. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

GBRs and angels need warmer temps above 78F (at least) & the tank is too small for an angel anyways.

What about a Bolivian ram instead?

4. OP
    OP
    B

Ah, did not know that about GBR temps, thanks! Bolivina Rams look great! They are cool solo? Any difference in males/females?

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

+1 on the Bolivian Rams. They're pretty awesome little guys!

They're cool solo, but I'm not sure how to sex them.

6. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Personally I wouldn't keep dwarf cichlids like Bolivian Rams solo. They tend to be pretty social and have lots of interactions with their own species IME.
    Having 2 females or a male and female would probably be best compatibility-wise.

7. Five 97

NP. Bolivian rams are definitely beautiful fish. As mentioned, they're fine solo, but you'll definitely see more interesting behavior with a m/f pair, which you could do, instead of just one.

Most accurately, the breeding tube (vent) on a male is narrow and pointy, while the vent on a female will be blocky and squarish looking.
    The pink dorsal and caudal extensions are also typically longer in males.

8. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

If you have room for a pair, go for a pair! I was under the impression that a pair might be pushing it stocking-wise, but I'm not that versed on dwarf cichlids, other than the shell-dwelling variety.

9. Five 97

OP does have room for a pair, IMO.
    (I meant to be more clear) I was suggesting the species not necessarily just one of them. A pair would be great in this stock.:)

10. OP
    OP
    B

Cool I will def give the Bolivian Rams a go! Thanks guys-- I am on top of water changes and with the double filtration/plants, I should have no issues!

Thanks!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice