20g Long Centerpiece Replacement?

BroIncarnate

Been a long time since I've posted here but I'm back! I lost my 4th Dwarf Gourami in 3 years and I just can't keep these guys alive-- I hear they are really inbred these days and catch diseases fairly easy-- I was thinking about changing to another center-piece fish and was wondering what other options there are besides Honey Gourami, etc-- Maybe a pair of German blue rams? I I keep the tank at about 72 degrees and have 2 AquaClear 50 gallon filters (one on each side of the tank) and moderately planted tank-- Here is my stock:

8 Panda Corydoras
6 Neon Tetra
2 Cobra Guppies (male)
6 Otocinclus Catfish
1 Nerite Snail
1 Golden Inca Snail

I keep the tank at about 72 degrees--

Thanks!!!!

benno99999

I would recommend one male killifish, but it would probably eat your small fish. If not a DG, I would either go with one or two German Blues or one or two angelfish.

Five 97

GBRs and angels need warmer temps above 78F (at least) & the tank is too small for an angel anyways.

What about a Bolivian ram instead?

BroIncarnate

GBRs and angels need warmer temps above 78F (at least) & the tank is too small for an angel anyways.

What about a Bolivian ram instead?

Ah, did not know that about GBR temps, thanks! Bolivina Rams look great! They are cool solo? Any difference in males/females?

Lorekeeper

+1 on the Bolivian Rams. They're pretty awesome little guys!

They're cool solo, but I'm not sure how to sex them.

_IceFyre_

Personally I wouldn't keep dwarf cichlids like Bolivian Rams solo. They tend to be pretty social and have lots of interactions with their own species IME.
Having 2 females or a male and female would probably be best compatibility-wise.

Five 97

Ah, did not know that about GBR temps, thanks! Bolivina Rams look great! They are cool solo? Any difference in males/females?
NP. Bolivian rams are definitely beautiful fish. As mentioned, they're fine solo, but you'll definitely see more interesting behavior with a m/f pair, which you could do, instead of just one.

Most accurately, the breeding tube (vent) on a male is narrow and pointy, while the vent on a female will be blocky and squarish looking.
The pink dorsal and caudal extensions are also typically longer in males.

Lorekeeper

If you have room for a pair, go for a pair! I was under the impression that a pair might be pushing it stocking-wise, but I'm not that versed on dwarf cichlids, other than the shell-dwelling variety.

Five 97

OP does have room for a pair, IMO.
(I meant to be more clear) I was suggesting the species not necessarily just one of them. A pair would be great in this stock.

BroIncarnate

Cool I will def give the Bolivian Rams a go! Thanks guys-- I am on top of water changes and with the double filtration/plants, I should have no issues!

Thanks!!!!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Stocking a 20g Long
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • Question
Replies