20g high stock?

1. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone. I've had a 20g high with a few live plants, RCS, and baby BN plecos for a good year or 2 now.

I've grown kind of tired of this setup and the wife kinda wants to make it her little tank, so I agreed.

We will be doing fake plants along with some small driftwood in this one.

She's thinking of making it an all male guppy tank. How many could we fit in there safely?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

About 8-14 should be ok.

3. BellatheBetta Member Member

I think that 10 or 12 would be a good number. I love guppies, the have such great personalities and are very active and in my all male tank I haven' t had any problems with agression. They also love swimming around the branches of the driftwood!

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How many baby BN plecos? How long has they been in there? They're taking up a lot of the bioload space, so I wouldn't add many guppies depending on how many plecos you have.

5. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

I only have 1 baby left along with the dad at the moment. Sold the rest. Every time I add the male back to my 125 discus I'm overrun with babies. I guess I need to sell him also

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Once you sell him and move the baby out, you have room for 8-10 male guppies. BNs aren't appropriate for a 20 gal (29 gal minimum).

7. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

I wish the discus would take care of the babies but I guess there's just too many hiding spots.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't have BNs in a 20 high but a 20 long is fine, a 29g has the same footprint as a 20g long so saying a 29 is the min doesn't make sense imo.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It has more height and 9 more gal of water - more swimming room and water to dilute waste.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

BNs don't need much more height imo, and as long as the rest of the stock in the long is light, then a BN would be fine in one imo.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

We can agree to disagree :)

12. Pikachu13131 Member Member

A 29 is higher,my Otto's liked to go up and down on the glass I sure plecos do too.a 29 gallon gives more room to do that.i wouldn't put a bn in a 20 long either.

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

My BN pleco very rarely went on the glass, though I know I've seen others do it.

We agree to disagree.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Regardless, BNs are inappropriate for a 20 gal high, but after you rehome them, I think it would be safe to add the guppies. Did your wife want anything other than guppies?

15. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

We can't really think of much else to add. She wanted a nice goldfish tank but a 20 is way too small

16. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on how often one wants to have to do water changes. In a 20 gallon (long or tall) and even a 29 gallon, I would suggest vacuuming 2-3 times a week if keeping a BN pleco in it.

I would consider this more of a water quality issue over a space issue. :)

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about a school of harlequin rasbora and some kuhlis too? They shouldn't bother the adult shrimp, and maybe not the babies either.

You could do something like this:
    8x Harlequin rasbora
    8x Kuhli loach
    2-3x Male guppies

I love the look of harlequins.

18. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

We have 25 harlequins in our 125 discus tank. That's why she wanted guppies. Tired of neons and Cardinals have been way too fragile :/

19. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

IMO, you could do
    x8 Kuhli loach
    x8 male guppies
    x1 Dwarf gourami?
    x1 snail (Nerite, horned Nerite, Apple, Mystery, etc.)