20g High + new tank?

PetLover418
I have a 20 gallon High with 5 skirt tetras, 3 female Bettas, and 1 otto. I would like to get another tank- 20 gallon long or 29 gallon preferably. I have been told to build my sorority of bettas. If possible, the 20 gallon high will be the sorority tank with (# of bettas?) and hopefully some embers, cardinal tetras, and glo danios and other small fish. The skirts can go in the 29 with some other fish. Currently thinking about platies, mollies, and maybe a small pleco. The otto population will grow to 3ish because my current one if fat (very well fed) and might be female. I want fish baby fish to care for! I might get some colored shrimp as a clean up crew and a nerite or 2. I have brown and green stringy algea. Open to thoughts and suitable community fish!
#MTS also I have a 3.5 as a quarantine for new fish

I found this one that comes with fish- 38g. Should I consider this one?

TexasDomer
Betta sororities need to be in a 20 gal long minimum - 20 gal high isn't length. They should also be by themselves - no other fish in the tank, and 5-7 females.

If you got that 38 gal tank, you could move your skirts and otos into there (after determining how many fish are already in it, and rehoming some of them), sell the 20 gal high, and get a 20 gal long for the sorority.

Megg01
The otos need to be in groups of 6+. If you're keeping the sorority in the 20 gallon, you need at least 6 bettas and I wouldn't put any other fish with them. It would also have to be a long instead of high. If you get a pleco, make sure it's not a common. Bristle nose, clown, rubber lip and pit bull all stay small.

TexasDomer beat me to it on most of this! Didn't see that.

PetLover418
Next question: should I get a bow front or straight-edge tank? I'm not a gigantic fan of my halfcircle's curve. I might like a bowfront. What would be best for the fish?

In response- I know not to get commons. They're monsters! I'm not a big fan of plecs in general, but I feel like I need one for algae control- lots of brown and green hair. Ill get a bristle nose or another small plec. I plan to get a nerite for my 20.

Any ideas? Should I create a new thread?

Megg01
Next question: should I get a bow front or straight-edge tank? I'm not a gigantic fan of my halfcircle's curve. I might like a bowfront. What would be best for the fish?

In response- I know not to get commons. They're monsters! I'm not a big fan of plecs in general, but I feel like I need one for algae control- lots of brown and green hair. Ill get a bristle nose or another small plec. I plan to get a nerite for my 20.
I prefer bow front but it's mostly personal preference. Bow fronts are a bit more expensive.

Bristle nose, clown, rubber lip, and pit bull plecos all stay reasonably small.

Betta Splendid 1
You could also keep zebra plecos, but those are extremely expensive. Usually around $100 or more.

el337
If you're not a fan of plecs, I wouldn't get one just to eat algae. You have to remember, they add a lot to the bioload and they won't prevent algae from your tanks.

superbutterfly12
Otos eat algae too have you upped your group size? If you like them they are llittle and cute and will make some dent in the algae. Nerites are great too

PetLover418
I like bns. I don't like larger plecos. Something a little bigger than Otto would be nice... Otto are hard to acclimate. 2 of mine died within the first 2 months. I was thinking snail(nerite?) , minI pleco, and a few shrimp. I think they'll keep the tank cleaner. I defiantly want small peaceful /semi-agressive fish in this tank, so fish larger than 6" are discouraged. Might put a male Betts in there, or not if the others are larger than him. Maybe an angel, but they seem hard to care for and a little scary.

My Otto ONLY eats ages and will NOT eat the wafers I offer for him. I could handle 1 or 2 more... my Sonic (otto) is extremely fat/very well fed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Penny22
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
Dovah
Replies
Views