20g hex ideas

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
5,062
Location
Fishlore
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m about to place a Wetspot order and was trying to think about what to add to my 20g hex. I currently have two australe killies and that’s it. I’ve considered perhaps some stiphodens or a small schooler, but the issue is that they can’t be to small or the female killis views them as food. Also thought about a killie only tank but I don’t currently see anymore Australe. I also considered soem gudgeons but not certain.
I’m looking for something that’s not something you can just get at BBS as most of those I dislike because you see them so constantly.
Just curious if anyone had any interesting or intriguing ideas for the tank.
Dimensions are-
19.1 In L x 16.6 in W x 24.4 in H (48.5 x 42.1 x 61.9 cm
It’s also planted, trying to get it heavily planted but they need to grow some.
 

kattiq

Active Member
Member
Messages
290
Reaction score
202
Location
AL, USA
Experience
3 years
I just bought some Celestial Pearl Danios. Not sure if they are too small for the killis but they sure are pretty :D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Platylover

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
5,062
Location
Fishlore
Experience
More than 10 years
kattiq said:
I just bought some Celestial Pearl Danios. Not sure if they are too small for the killis but they sure are pretty :D
I actually have some and they are and they aren’t lol. If they’re just a smidge to small Daisy(the female) tries to eat them. If they’re fully grown she leaves them alone lol.

That’s a good suggestion though, I know a lot of killie species would be fine with them. Other Australes might as well, but daisy is just... special lol CPD’s are one of my favourites, absolute beauts!
 

kattiq

Active Member
Member
Messages
290
Reaction score
202
Location
AL, USA
Experience
3 years
Platylover said:
daisy is just... special lol CPD’s are one of my favourites, absolute beauts!
There's always that one fish that's a tad special :p
And yes I am excited about taking care of them, I have never had them before but I'm like you and wanted something that you don't see all the time in the BBS!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Platylover

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
5,062
Location
Fishlore
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticQueen said:
Maybe a school of neon tetras?
I did think about them, it’s just so popular they’re everywhere lol. I really do like this suggestion and I think I might go with them if I can get a school of the gold variant. Just have to figure out where to get them because of how uncommon that variant is.
But that’s a really good idea and I do think they’d work in my tank. Thanks so much for the suggestion!
kattiq said:
There's always that one fish that's a tad special :p
And yes I am excited about taking care of them, I have never had them before but I'm like you and wanted something that you don't see all the time in the BBS!
Yeah she’s interesting. I think she actually scares the male sometimes lol.

You’ll probably love the celestials. They have a surprising amount of personality once they settle in. A lot of attitude lol
 

kattiq

Active Member
Member
Messages
290
Reaction score
202
Location
AL, USA
Experience
3 years
Haha, a true independent woman- I like her already. Hahaha

Before I got the CPDs I had white clouds, sparkling gouramis, daisy blue rice fish and rummy nose tetras on my list too if any of those spark your interests. :)

And I think I will! I'm a bit nervous and hope they survive, I had a bad run with neon tetras (granted they were from Petco and these CPDs are from Aquahuna) and I've heard they can be a little fragile at first.
I've had cories in there since April that are doing alright so I at least know the tank is habitable. :p
 

kanzekatores

Well Known
Member
Messages
791
Reaction score
535
Location
Michigan
Experience
2 years
Platylover said:
I’m about to place a Wetspot order and was trying to think about what to add to my 20g hex. I currently have two australe killies and that’s it. I’ve considered perhaps some stiphodens or a small schooler, but the issue is that they can’t be to small or the female killis views them as food. Also thought about a killie only tank but I don’t currently see anymore Australe. I also considered soem gudgeons but not certain.
I’m looking for something that’s not something you can just get at BBS as most of those I dislike because you see them so constantly.
Just curious if anyone had any interesting or intriguing ideas for the tank.
Dimensions are-
19.1 In L x 16.6 in W x 24.4 in H (48.5 x 42.1 x 61.9 cm
It’s also planted, trying to get it heavily planted but they need to grow some.
At one point I planned a 20g hex setup and was going to keep it heavily planted with a few killifish, and a large school of chili rasboras, along with snails or shrimp. I think the combination of the green with red makes it look beautiful. So for the schooling fish you could look at the rasboras.
Another idea is some platies. These are really easy and colorful as well
AquaticQueen said:
Maybe a school of neon tetras?
You have to be careful with hex tanks as they can be tall but with a small footprint. In my case neons were advised against and needed at least 20 long but Platylovers dimensions seem very large,
Are you sure those aren't in centimetres?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Platylover

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
5,062
Location
Fishlore
Experience
More than 10 years
kattiq said:
Haha, a true independent woman- I like her already. Hahaha

Before I got the CPDs I had white clouds, sparkling gouramis, daisy blue rice fish and rummy nose tetras on my list too if any of those spark your interests. :)

And I think I will! I'm a bit nervous and hope they survive, I had a bad run with neon tetras (granted they were from Petco and these CPDs are from Aquahuna) and I've heard they can be a little fragile at first.
I've had cories in there since April that are doing alright so I at least know the tank is habitable. :p
Haha yes she is. I think she’d be completely fine on her own (she was for awhile because her first male disappeared. Must’ve managed to jump out and gotten a ride from one of my cats).

I almost forgot about rice fish! I’ll have to look into them more as I might get some. I really like them a lot and I think they’d really look nice in the tank.

that’s true about neons... it I could find one of the other variants and go that route I wouldn’t be getting from a BBS so hopefully that would help some.
kanzekatores said:
At one point I planned a 20g hex setup and was going to keep it heavily planted with a few killifish, and a large school of chili rasboras, along with snails or shrimp. I think the combination of the green with red makes it look beautiful. So for the schooling fish you could look at the rasboras.
Another idea is some platies. These are really easy and colorful as well

You have to be careful with hex tanks as they can be tall but with a small footprint. In my case neons were advised against and needed at least 20 long but Platylovers dimensions seem very large,
Are you sure those aren't in centimetres?
I have thought about some Rasboras and the chills would look really nice. That’s a great idea, I’ll have to think on it.

I would do livebearers but because it’s planned to be heavily planted I don’t want to be overrun with fry, again lol. I had my fun with that a few years ago where my tank was 50% platies lol. It’s a good suggestion though, platies and other livebearers can be really beautiful and pull an aquarium together.

yes, I’m sure it’s inches. I pulled that from the item description as I didn’t have a tape measure on me.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
236
Guests online
3,600
Total visitors
3,836

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom