20g Hex Aquarium Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Troyee219, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Troyee219

Troyee219Valued MemberMember

I was wondering if a pair or just one angelfish(es) would be ok and if not what other centerpiece fish would be good, something like a ram or something decently sized (2-4in) that would look nice with my neon tetras and white clouds, i just finished setting the tank up and getting it cycled after 2 months.....Thanks!

2. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Angels really need larger tanks, as they can get quite big. They also prefer warmer water compared to neons and white clouds. A full grown angel might also gobble up some of your tetras.

For your tank, sounds like a Bolivian ram might work. They also tend to stay at the lower half of the water, therefore not clashing for space with your other fishes which are mostly mid to top level swimmers.

3. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

What are the dimensions? Angelfish need a larger tank than 20g. And a 20 hex wouldn't be right for bolivians either as the hex tanks have more height rather than length. I'd probably look for fish recommended for 10 gallon tanks and under rather than slightly larger fish that would be suited for a 20 long. I'd also make sure that too many of the fish you have aren't situated in the same level of the tank. Maybe have a look at this:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stocking-list-for-10-gallons.207629/

4. OP
    OP
    Troyee219

My neons and clouds stay at the top, i have space at the mid and lower part of the tank thats why i thought angels and bolivians, ive heard of people keeping angles in the 20g hexes, also the tank is about 25ins tall 17 inches long and 17 inches in width, the seller said it was a 20 gallon but im questioning that. I thought angels might be ok, because on YT i saw a vid with a guy that had one full grown angle with tetrastetras, i saw neons and glo lights

5. Feohw

I wouldn't go by most Youtube videos in order to stock a tank. I've seen some pretty crazy tanks there. Angels really do need larger tanks though, and they like some company too. Bolivans would be the same. They don't need as large a tank as angels, but they do need space that a hex couldn't provide. How long is one of the six sides? Not to mention the fact that I've heard from a lot of people that angels ate their neons - in a smaller tank like this that would be more of an issue.

6. OP
    OP
    Troyee219

one of the six sides is 17 inches, dimensions are 18L, 17W, 23.5 (just remeasured it)

7. Feohw

I was under the impression this was a regular hexagaon. If the six sides were 17 inches and it was 25 tall. then it would be 81 gallons. That's quite a big error. Is it a flat hexagon tank then? In that case the panels would be different sizes and more dimensions would be needed to calculate volume.

8. OP
    OP
    Troyee219

No i know for a fact its not 81g i was thinking more of 30-35g, i see we messed up yo asked how big a panel was, i thoubht you ment the length from one side to another.one panel is about -9.5in... Sorry for the mix up

9. Feohw

Ah okay, sorry for the confusion. So then if the panels are 9.5 and the height is 25 it would be 25 gallons. If the height of the water level itself isn't taken into account in that 25 inch figure and it sits lower (as in the tank itself is 25 inches but the water level is up to the 23 inch mark etc.) then it would be between 20-25 gallons.

10. OP
    OP
    Troyee219

Ok yea i was so confused when you said 81g:emoji_joy: , so does that change the decision or is rams and angels still a no?​

11. Feohw

I'd still probably leave it as a no for them, in particular the angel. A hex tank is more difficult to stock than if it were a longer tank, as most fish prefer horizontal swimming space. I'd probably read through that link I added earlier and see if you like anything from there. There's a lot of options there.

12. OP
    OP
    Troyee219

Well before all the bigger fish i thought of cherry barbs, i was gonna get 6-7 of them, but i heard they are really active and need space to swim left to right so i threw that out, since angels love vertical swimming room and aren't very active (from what i know) i thought that would be ok, but i thought i would confirm here, i have been keeping fish for a long time but i am just getting into cichlids and other larger fish... I currently own a 46g bowfront with a jewel cichlid and convict cichlid, that is housed with giant danios and a clown pleco, i know that angels cant get along with other cichlids that well, i had a thought that i could put the angel in the 46g after he grows too large for the 20g, but he would more then likely get beat up by buster and ruby... But i know some people oeep them with dwarf cichlids but then again might be fake, YT for ya huh?