20G Help/Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Dante123, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dante123New MemberMember

I have a 20 long currently in it:

Plants/Deco-
    Java Moss
    Java Fern
    Water Wisteria
    2 pieces Mopani Driftwood
    Broken pieces of Slate
    Faux Turtle Shell

Fish-
    1x Red Cherry Shrimp
    1x Guppy
    1x Opaline Gourami
    Some hitchhiker MTS

Anyways, the shrimp/guppy I can move to another tank but I'm thinking doing this:

1x Opaline Gourami
    2x German Blue or Bolivian Ram
    6x Tiger Barbs

I'm not algae infested so idk about adding a crowd of cories or an Otto. The Rams will be more or less whatever the lfs has at the time. So my questions are does the ram sex matter? 2 males won't kill each other. Breeding a not my thing so idc either way. The tiger barbs might be aggressive but if you guys think too much what's a good small school fish you'd put in?

2. PaulvechkinValued MemberMember

Youre going to be overstocked with those fish. The tiger barbs need more space or else they will tear the gourami to shreds. IMO I'd skip the Rams if you already the gourami, a breeding pair of Rams might night take kindly to the gourami in a small tank.

keep the Gourami, add 5 cories, and a smaller schooling fish like tetras.

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Tiger barbs need a 30 gallon minimum.

Also, Cories don't eat algae... I don't know why you'd discount them because your tank doesn't have any. A school of cories would do well in there.

Rams and Gouramis aren't likely to get along, so I'd skip any mikrogeophagus spp. Get a small tetra instead. :)

4. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I would scrap the tiger barbs, they are better in schools of 10+ due to their aggressive nature and as a result wouldn't be ideal for a 20g. In my opinion the gourami and Rams could go either way, I think issues could arise if the Rams paired and attempted to breed. So I would suggest doing either a gourami OR a pair of Rams.

5. Dante123New MemberMember

Wouldn't a school of 5-6 corys overstock me with the gourami and tetras? Assuming I'll get 5-6 tetras

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The opaline gourami will get too big for a 20 long. You should rehome it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

You could do a dwarf gourami, 6 cory cats of the same species and 6-10 tetras depending on species.
    That would give your aquarium some life without overstocking it, a sand substrate would be best for the cory cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice